civic duties | Pad Patter 15 Feb

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Feb 15, 2019.

1. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

1. Full time college student; excused
    2. Breastfeeding mother; was provided a 3'x3' closet filled with files and books to pump; not selected for a jury
    3. Selected for a jury, elected head juror; super interesting experience
    There are lots of legitimate reasons for not being able to attend jury duty, but I have to admit I get super annoyed when people try to get out of it without a legitimate reason. Most trials are pretty short (obviously there are exceptions) and most people aren't selected anyway (at least in my area). I heard some pretty bogus things come out my fellow peers in my jury pools. It was pretty obvious they were saying things just so they wouldn't get selected. Super lame.

bellbird likes this.
  2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

When we lived in Olympia (our state's capital) I got called at least once/year. I got out of it a few times by either being pregnant (and close to due date) then again when my son was a newborn. One time actually got chosen for a jury. It was so stupid. Such a waste of time & taxpayers money. The dude was totally guilty & we 'deliberated' for about 10 minutes before we all agreed. lol.

Since we've lived here in Spokane, I've been called once and after spending an ENTIRE day in the stupid waiting room, we were all excused. Such a waste of time. I wish they could make the process faster & less disruptive for working people especially!

bellbird likes this.
  3. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I've been summoned (?) twice. I was excused for the first as I was 36 weeks pregnant at the time. :) The second I called in every night but was never told to come and report for duty.

bellbird likes this.
  4. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Just once, and I wasn’t picked. I have since obtained a permanent exemption due to a disability.

bellbird likes this.
  5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've been called numerous times for county, but only once for federal. I was working as a legal assistant in a prestigious law firm in our area so I was never picked. I just got a summons last year and was promptly released without answering any questions. I think they must have had me in their system even though I don't work at a law firm anymore. LOL

bellbird likes this.
  6. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I think I’ve been asked once but as I was moving out of the area I was exempt

bellbird likes this.
  7. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I've been called three times; my husband has never been summoned. The first time, I sat on a trial. The second time, I forgot to call in and frantically called in later to apologize; they excused me. The third time I was asked to come in, but when I verified my identity, it turned out their records had not caught up to my change in address and since I was no longer a resident of the city, they let me go. (I didn't give it a second thought at the time since I'm in the same county and was reporting to the county courthouse.) I have not been called since.

bellbird likes this.
  8. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I’ve been called for jury duty many times. I’ve always been selected, except for once. It was a civil personal injury case, and I had several cases that I was in the middle of negotiating with the plaintiff attorney. Needless to say, I was the last person he wanted on his jury and struck me as soon as he realized who I was. I thought it was funny. I would have loveddddd to have been on that trial. :evillaugh

bellbird and SeattleSheri like this.
  9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have never served on a jury before. I did get a summons once a LONG time ago, but when I called in to check each night, I was never needed.

I just got a new summons in the mail a couple weeks ago for the middle of March. We'll see if I have to actually go this time. I think it would be interesting and at least my kids are older and it wouldn't be as hard to actually be able to serve.

bellbird likes this.
  10. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

I hope I don't jinx myself but I have never been called for jury duty. My husband has been called once years ago.

bellbird likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Lol! You're so right!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Lol great timing!

13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Oh dear! This is like worst case scenario to me!

14. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I have been summoned but have never had to go...I've always been the primary caregiver of younger children.

My hubby ended up on a grand jury once...he had to go in once a month for like 6 months.

bellbird likes this.
  15. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I was called once in my 20s, while living in Memphis. I had to go down to the courthouse for a couple days. On the second day I got selected for a jury pool but they filled the slots before they came to me. After that they let me go. I think it would be interesting to actually sit on a jury.

bellbird likes this.
  16. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

There was a gentleman that had been summonsed that had served on a grand jury for 19 months. 19 months! I just can't even imagine that.

bellbird likes this.
  17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Wow, no wonder people try to get excused so often!

18. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

My daughter was called up and spent a couple of days on a jury. She was still young enough to be excited by the whole process. I have never been called up but having a brother as a policeman means I wouldn't have to try to hard to get an exemption anyway (assumed bias which is probably true)

19. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday