Christmas is Gone-all put away!|pad patter 12-30-2020

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Dec 30, 2020.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I waited until Saturday, but I was twitching!
    I like to have it down that afternoon!

My poor tree went right into the dumpster, only the middle lights were working! lol
    I love how fresh and not cluttered the house looks when Christmas goes back into the tubs!

I also minimized my Christmas stash to 3 tubs! I am so happy about that!

So, is your tree and Christmas things still up? When does it come down?

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

This question is assuming Christmas stuff went up in the first place.....if I had put any up I’d probably put it away sometime within a week or so I’d say.

Christina W likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I'll put what little I have out away on the 31st. Good way to end the year.

4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm in no rush. I might leave it up for another month. We'll see how it goes.
    I used to be eager to clean it up and love that fresh uncluttered feeling too, but this year is so different.

5. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

We host three Christmases (my husband's mom, my mom, my husband's dad) and the third one is tomorrow. (This year my brother-in-law and his family did not come to either of the ones with my in-laws, it was just the grandparents by themselves.) The tree and decorations will come down Friday or Saturday. We didn't put up a lot of decorations inside this year -- just the tree, the board that holds Christmas cards, and the (artificial) wreath on the door (inside). I don't know what we're doing with the lights outside; I typically leave the outside wreath on the door until it turns brown, mid-spring. :)

6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

We normally leave ours up until sometime in the first week or two of January, but this year is probably going to be an odd in stages kind of thing. We are in the process of converting our guest room to a library, so there is a lot of shuffling of furniture and objects right now. We took down the Christmas village this morning because we need that spot to bring in some things from the garage to make room there for stuff from the flooring replacement.

We also got a new tree this year since the top section of our old one has been precariously held together with floral wire and pipe cleaners for the last few years. We got 2 giant tree tubs that we are hoping the new tree will fit in, but we're not sure if we're going to put it back into the hot Texas attic where the old one is, or try to find a spot in the house for it that might help it hold up better. And we need to figure out what to do with the old tree. It's a 9-foot tall very fat tree that is in 5 or 6 huge boxes to avoid smooshing. Other than the top section it's in pretty good shape, but it's one of those that you have to put together branch by branch, so I don't know if anyone would want it.

So there's a lot of strategizing and pondering happening here that's making the de-Christmas-ing a little trickier than usual. :)

7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Mine is down, except the window clings. I have to go get the bin out of the storage room, and it's buried right now. The tree was picked up by the town yesterday (real tree).
    I usually pull it down between the 27-30. It depends on my mood. This year, the boy got a new tv to play his video games on, and the tree was in the spot the tv needed to go. Plus, we knew we needed to pull it down on a Monday night so it could be out for the Tuesday pickup. Those were the major deciding factors this year.

8. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Our tree is still up. Hubby wanted to take it down on Christmas Day but since we've been remodeling and didn't get to put it up until a week before Christmas, we decided to keep it up until the new year. We only put up the tree and hung the stockings this year, but next year we can decorate our hearts out.

9. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Ours is supposed to come down by the 12th night, ie the 6th of January.
    But I am done with it and ready to take it down.
    DD not so much.

bestcee likes this.
  10. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I'm itching to take mine down but I'm waiting until New Year's Day. We always have a little New Year's Eve party & I like to keep them up until then. I always love the clean, fresh look of an uncluttered house. I do miss the Christmas lights at night.

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Me too. I love sitting on the couch reading with the Christmas lights for ambiance.

12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Mine came down Sunday. It would have been Saturday, but the grands did not come over until Saturday evening thanks to a Christmas Day snow.
    I have a wreath and some ribbons on the windows outside that need to come down and I'll probably do that tomorrow since we are supposed to be in the 50's. My main outside lights are multifunctional. They are the big bulb lights and I keep them attached at one corner. At Christmas I stretch them along the front of the house, and then I switch them to form a triangle over the patio furniture for Spring/Summer :)

13. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

We did not have a lot to take down!
    We moved across the country this year (I know!) and left our old ratty artificial Christmas tree behind.
    So this year we clustered all our presents around a big box: The Christmas Box.
    It is still sitting out in the living room because the cat likes to hide in it :lol.

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I hear you! We did the same thing. I bought a Norfolk Island Pine, that I'm going to plant outside and all of our presents got piled on the floor kind of around the tree.

We didn't many decorations up this year in anticipation of our move, but i bought 2 red poinsettias besides the live pine tree. They're sitting in the window sills and slowly dropping leaves. It's about time for them to go bye-bye. The pine will probably stay inside for a while longer until it's a little warmer and I can plant it outside.

Christina W likes this.
  15. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Ordinarily, I want the tree down, I want all the Christmas ornaments put away, by New Year's Day at the latest.

But 2020 is not ordinary. I'm thinking I might keep the tree up until the Feast of the Epiphany (6 January; the 12th day of Christmas). I like the pretty lights at night; I find the tree all lit up at night quite comforting.

Carla and Christina W like this.
  16. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

My tree is still up in the living room. I just love to look at it at night with the tree lights on and the lights in the house off. I will take it down this afternoon or maybe tomorrow. I am never in a hurry. People take Christmas out of the house too soon(IMHO). I have a clock in my kitchen that plays Christmas music on the hour, every hour, all year round. When I was a kid at home in Pennsylvania, our tree didn't come down until the week after new years.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  17. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

the tree it artificial, so no rush on taking it down. Traditionally as a kid we didn't take it down until the 6th Jan, but it didn't go up until a few days before Christmas either. In this house, it gets taken down when everyone wants life back to normal.

18. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I start taking it down on New Year's Day. My DH would love the tree to stay up until President's day, but I try to get it down when I can. It takes a while to find everything, ya know? This year will be fun because I have things in new places due to our remodel. But I'm also hoping to destash some stuff - we'll see if that actually happens!

19. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

I like to have it all put away right away too. We used to host a NYE party, so I'd want everything Christmas gone and cleaned up ASAP...usually Dec 27th or so.

20. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

We are having a large New Years Day "protest" at our home. Bonfire and Chili and laughter! Kids playing hide and seek in the desert and gallons of coffee for adults! Having Christmas up was not an option!

FarrahJobling likes this.