Chores for Kids

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by cherryberry, Jul 3, 2010.

1. cherryberry

cherryberry Hottie Patottie!

So I want to implement a chore chart for my 6 year old and reward him with money so he can learn money management at the same time. I have no clue what a good amount of money is. Right now I give him a dime for a lot of things (like vacuuming the kitchen) and he's super happy about that. Am I being too cheap? LOL

What do you do?

Thanks for any input.

2. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

tiki, what we did was set up a chore chart...
    [​IMG]

Then for every day that the kids had their stuff picked up in that particular room, or their laundry folded/put away, etc. they got a sticker for that room for that day. if at the end of the week, they had at least 30 stickers, they earned $2.50. However, 10% of the 2.50 went into a giving jar, and 10% went into a savings jar. That allowed them to earn $2.00 spending money each week, and still learn the aspects of saving and giving money. It has worked wonderfully!

really i just picked $2.50 because it made it easy to do the 10% (a quarter each). But the kids seem to be satisfied with the amount. They are 9,7, and 5

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  3. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

HERE is what we did and still do for the most part... as the kids get better at things, the chores adjust etc.

4. MandaKay

MandaKay Loyal as they come.

I need to be better about implementing our chore chart! I like the $2.50/week idea, especially when paired with the 10% giving and saving jar!

5. cherryberry

cherryberry Hottie Patottie!

Thanks ladies. $2.50/week it is :)

6. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

I think it might be a little late for me! LOL!! I have to admit, I made the chore charts when they were young, I just wasn't disciplined enough to stick to it. I love yours Amy and Rebecca!!

7. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

I went and bought katie & jaque's kit! let's hope I can put it into motion! Moo is wanting $$$ so here is where I put her to work!

8. mlpieters

mlpieters the princess of PINK

we def started early with ours. remember that you'll have pay increases - we did them on their birthdays - so start low. i think $2.50 for the weeks is a good place. also, we paid the kids on the day their dad got paid. starts them off on the right fooot - learning how to make their money stretch til next "pay day". we also did 10% giving/tithe; 10% savings and let them do whatever they wanted with the rest. i think that's why both of them manage their money so well as young adults.

9. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

Ooh I'm so grateful for this thread. We are starting to think of how to approach this as well.

10. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Am I really that rotten? I can't remember. I'm s

Ella's 5 and we are at the point where we want to start this as well. We got her a responsibility magnet board from Melissa & Dough last year, and we were trying to figure out how to implement an allowance. I love the $ amount suggested here along with the giving and saving. Awesome thread!

11. Because of this thread i grabbed Kate & Jaques collab and made a chore chart. So far I am loving it and the kids are doing great. As for pay were doing .10 cents a job so if the completed all the jobs in a week its like $4.20 each, but so worth it LOL

12. estir_bune

estir_bune Guest

I bought the kit and we started on Sunday... so far so good!
    I had it printed at Walgreens and slipped it into a page protector- velcro is how we are adhering our stickers for each job
    [​IMG]

$2.50 a week - .50 into her piggy bank the rest for her to do with as she sees fit. I am not having her donate yet, cause she'd give it all away....

Thank you for the fabulous idea!

13. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

yay! so glad to hear it's working! i love it at our house! we had to take a break from it with the move, but we just started it back up & it's working great again!