cholesterol

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by theAndrea, Jan 22, 2014.

1. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

hi ladies,

my doc told me that my cholesterol is just above average. I generally don't eat all that healthy (I :heartslub poutine) to start, so I thought I'd ask for advice on what's good to eat that's good for cholesterol.

thanks!
    Andrea

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've heard oatmeal is really good for lowering cholesterol. Egg whites, instead of the whole egg or Egg Beaters as an egg substitute. I use those all the time and can't tell the difference.

3. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

I will definitely be watching this thread!!!! I have high cholesterol....always have...even when I was an athlete that ran all the time. It is genetic. I have trying to get healthy again...going to the gym, going to lose some weight and I am hoping that will lower mine.

4. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

What works for me is medication. LOL!!!! I have had high cholesterol since I was 12.

5. pbrooks

pbrooks I need a realtor!

I am trying to lower my cholesterol. The following added to your diet can be helpful in lowering cholesterol: oatmeal, oatmeal and more oatmeal, almonds, whole wheat fiber, beans, flaxseeds, apples, metamucil, and soy protein. Even Cheerios help but sprinkle powdered oat bran on top or try to get oat bran in during the day. I like ground flaxseeds in my cereal.

I had forgotten how bad egg yolks are for you and lately I have eaten too many eggs. I will be putting a stop to that.

Pam

6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

animals products have cholestrol ... plant products do not. so if you can pick a few things to switch out, you will reduce your cholesterol naturally. maybe go meatless one night a week, try almond milk with your cereal instead of regular milk, choose recipes with more beans/quinoa as a protein source instead of animal based proteins. things like that will help.

7. Nettie B

Nettie B Guess what color my hair is!

wasn't there something about eating regularly - not skipping meals, as well? not that you have to go to the every 2 hours bit, but think it helps that you maintain a constant energy return level - helps the body maintain the good side of the cholesterol numbers...

8. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

My doctor has me taking Fish Oil capsules to lower my cholesterol.

9. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

oh, I had forgotten about eggs too... boo!

ya, I can do oatmeal & I need to get some flax too, the doc suggested that. I can't really take vitamins, they make me nauseous otherwise I would try a heart healthy multi.

hubby has been on me about having veggie nights... I do love my meat tho and I'm seriously at a loss of what to make veg wise other than salad lol.

10. pbrooks

pbrooks I need a realtor!

I tried egg beaters in a sandwich last night, and they are pretty good.

11. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

oh, I'll have to get some... my hubby should be watching too!

12. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

watching this one closely . . . I just had my first ever physical. Doc was worried cause my blood pressure has been climbing steadily over the last couple years and has now hit a "borderline" point. They checked my cholesterol and I should get results in the beginning of the week. Both my parents had high blood pressure, so I am kinda expecting it.

13. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

My cholesterol is almost borderline, although the good cholesterol is increasing by the year and the bad one is decreasing too. I'm adding more fiber into my diet - bananas, oatmeal, strawberries; and reducing fat by using low-fat and skim milk interchangeably. I'm also eating less pizzas than I used to. I'm hoping to see a change in my cholesterol level in 6 months of this new diet.

14. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

That's smart Zakirah! I'm having a hard time with my will power lately :(

15. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

exercise brought my down (and weight loss)! yeah. I love flax and chia seeds in my eggs! bhahhah I pour a bit in them and stir it up let it sit for 5-10 minutes (makes the flax soft and chia expand) and make omelets, no milk...fluffy fluffy
    after my 21 day challenge...I will have oatmeal in am with flax and chia in it and again in evening with yogurt! yummy!

16. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

I told myself that I don't want to get stroke like my mom, or have diabetes like my dad..just looking at their hospital bills was enough to make me change my diet LOL.