Childhood

Discussion in 'Journaling and Storytelling' started by bestcee, Mar 3, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Do you ever journal about your childhood?
    My 6 year old has started saying things like "What were the 1980's like?" and asking where me or Dh lived when we were his age. Or, the ever popular - Nana is not your mom!
    It's inspiring me to do some pages about my childhood. Have you done any about yours? I know that a few of them will be photoless, just words since I don't have as many photos of me (although, being the oldest, there's more of me than the next 4!).

JillW, LoveItScrapIt, MrsPeel and 4 others like this.
  2. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Unfortunately, I have exactly two blurry photos of me; one at about age 4 and one at age 8. My parents were not picture takers. I guess I could scrap what life was like back then. Hummmmm-----sounds like a pretty good challenge idea to me!!!!!

3. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I started digital scrapbooking in 2006, and what I did for 7 years was ALL vintage, dating back to the 1860's thru the 1940's. Around 2013, I actually started including me in some of the vintage category, ha, ha. Then I got into art journaling, and it's only been the last few years that I actually did scrapbook pages using more recent pics. I did find a few of my "youth" here in the gallery that I'll share with you. Like Nancy, I don't have tons of photos growing up. But what I do have, I cherish. Courtney, you are going to be sorry you asked, I fear I will be inundating you...

6 months old???
    [​IMG]

A photo from my 1st birthday party:
    [​IMG]

With a baby doll carriage that I loved:
    [​IMG]

Check out the top two shadow boxes:
    [​IMG]

DH & I didn't meet until I was 18 & he was 22, but that didn't stop me from doing a layout when we toddlers.
    [​IMG]

About 8 here, an interview with myself:
    [​IMG]

I was about 12 here...
    [​IMG]

Me and my mom:
    [​IMG]

Karen, cfile, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

This is a great thread. My mom has been going thru memory lane with me on our FB. It is a private fb, her 7 or so friends, and me. lol but she is telling stories and I am scrapping them as she posts. The ladies are laughing and loving it.
    She took a photo (she is a horrid photographer and was passenger zooming) of this bridge. thank you internet images, I got a better one, and added it to her blurry one (the b&w)!
    Here is today's from my driver's training:
    03032017-fb-mom-bridge-copy.jpg

ForeverJoy, Mylinn, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I've done a few pages here and there, but I seriously need to go to my mom's and go through photos. I say I'm going to do it every summer and then it doesn't get done.

bestcee likes this.
  6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

just wanted to add...I did a book for my mom, and I contacted the newspaper of her home town...and one of the ladies there, went thru their files and found some old photos of my mom's first job place and an advertisement in the paper. It was pretty special to my mom and her friends! lol There

EHStudios, cfile, jesskab and 2 others like this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

y'know... I've only really looked ahead for my scrapping, but never really thought about my past or childhood. Very good point. I should check out some of the photo albums, and scan some pictures in of me, and scrap them! I'd have to ask my mom a boatload of questions to go along with each of the page! I would totally enjoy that - I don't know if she will though! :giggle

cfile and umyesh like this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Yes, a little. I have a terrible memory though. I barely remember anything from childhood. My mom did take quite a few photos of me and my siblings though. So I can scrap photos, but the pages have just the facts (date, location, etc).

Here's my most recent page that includes child me.
    [​IMG]

As I was searching I found 3 other pages that were about me as a teen or young adult too.

JillW, mcurtt, bestcee and 1 other person like this.
  9. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

My scrapbooking started when I was in college. I've done a few layouts of myself as a little girl, but mostly college and onwards. Also, my early layouts are all paper. I still go back and forth between paper, digital and hybrid, but I'm at about 75% digital these days.

10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I have a few layouts about my childhood. I also use a journal called The Book of Myself (you can find it on Amazon). I find it's great for getting me thinking about my childhool.

This is me and my mom when she first brought me home from the hospital. My dad took the photo. They were staying with my grandma, who was a nurse in the newborn nursery.

[​IMG]

Me with my parents at K-Mart. The clerk was trying to sell them a camera and this was the sample photo.

[​IMG]

A childhood friend:

[​IMG]

Trips to Disney:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some teenage memories:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    jesskab, mcurtt and bestcee like this.
  11. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Awesome thread, have saved some to Pinterest - thanks!
    I haven't done too many layouts about my childhood digitally - but scrapped an album in paper > ten years ago.
    I just recently worked out why I hate my own birthday parties - goes back to my 6th party and what was said to me then still rings in my ears. My son's 21st party today and I do hope it will be amazing. I generally like to scrap happy and look on the bright side and gloss over the yucky stuff.

Iowan, Joan K and cfile like this.
  12. bestcee

Stories I want to tell:
    The stories my parents have told us over and over - like my brother and I spilling an entire container of milk on ourselves while dad was babysitting. And I found a note from my dad to my mom one night when he was watching us. I doubt he would remember anything else about that night, but the note mentions my sister eating carrots, and me ABC 123's. Which would put it from probably August/September when I was almost 2. (Sister died at the end of September at 5 months old, so it's a little easier to date than most things like that would be). And I wonder where my mom was. Was it when she worked at the mink farm? What was our family schedule like?

And the stories about things I do remember, even if I have to ask my mom where we were. Like the bat that got in the house and my dad chased it around with a broom in his underwear. Or when my brother feel asleep on the bus, and it left with him still on it. Or the rhymes, like miss Mary black, we used to sing on the bus. {I was last one off in a few places}.

I think I'm like a lot of you. I've scrapped my current life, but I need to do a 'before you' I think. I'll have to pull out some old diaries and journals and see if there's anything that rings bells.

I think I'm feeling the pull toward documenting my story, not just the photos that I did when I started {officially} scrapbooking.

Joan K and Mylinn like this.
  13. bestcee

14. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@gonewiththewind Thanks for the heads-up on the book. I ordered a slightly used copy this a.m. Can't wait to see it!

Does anyone have any thoughts about journaling for this photo? :-) It is a scanned untouched pic, me in the kitchen with my dad's lunchbox.
    19550100-Marilyn  with lunchbox.jpg

JillW and gonewiththewind like this.
  15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I started a whole album about me with a Facebook group a few years back. I got about half way and then quit as other projects called for my attention. If I can get caught up, I want to go back and finish it. My caught-up would be to finish 2016 (I am in September), do the 2016 vacation, and then 2017. So do-able if I hustle.

I do have traditional scrapbooks of me from birth through high school done. I also have some college ones in magnetic albums (gasp!). Then there is the 20 year gap of printed photos in boxes. #someday #someday

16. bestcee

I might talk about what your dad did, what his schedule was like. Maybe even add a photo of where he went? Or what he packed for lunch? I love that you are carrying around his lunchbox!

mcurtt likes this.
  17. gonewiththewind

I think you'll enjoy it!

As far as the photo, looks like you are ready, willing and able to follow in Daddy's footsteps, which would be a great title. LOL I love @bestcee 's suggestions and I would definitely go with that . . . what he (or someone else) packed in his lunch, where he worked, what he wore, what time he left and how that coincided with your schedule, etc. Super cute photo!

18. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

@gonewiththewind your pages are wonderful, you are so good at storytelling.

I have very few pictures of my childhood. I've made a few pages and I know it's something I really should do for documentation, but it just doesn't come naturally to me.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  19. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

I have been doing an album on my husband and I for a while now. Actually....I'm REdoing it! LOL His family didn't take many photos. But my parents had one of those old box cameras that they took photos with for years and years. And my two great aunts also took lots of photos. So between them we have a nice collection of black and white photos of all of us kids over the years. I'm trying to journal better on my pages and focusing on telling the story in words as well as photos.

Joan K and mcurtt like this.
  20. gonewiththewind

I've totally made heavy journaling pages (there were quite a few I didn't share) where I just shared about my memories of that time because I have no photos.

I'm so nosy about my family, about how they thought and dressed, where they went, what they ate . . . so I think about that for my own children and that's why I've ended up making these. Not that they are as nosy as I am though. LOL

bestcee and jesskab like this.