* Winner Announced* *CLOSED* Challenge - Creating a clipping mask | Christmas in July 28

Discussion in 'Christmas in July 2020' started by wombat146, Jul 28, 2020.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

**Winner: @AlyciaIN - CONGRATULATIONS!!**

Hi everyone :moo, Ona here to share a quick and easy tutorial with you on how to create a clipping mask using brushes, and to challenge you to make a page using it. While it is a Christmas in July event, your clipping mask and page do not need to be Christmas related. :)

There are plenty of clipping masks available in our store, created by our very creative designers, but sometimes I like to just play around with brushes and create my own. They are super easy to do and what I love about them is that there are no rules to follow, just go with whatever inspires you! :)

The one I created below is very much a Nature inspired mask. While I didn’t have a particular photo in mind when I started creating this, I knew that I wanted to use one of my many bird photos with it so I went with a lot of organic soft leafy brushes.

Creating the Nature mask:
    1. Simply start by opening several png brush files OR using your brush tool to stamp a few different nature inspired shapes onto separate layers.

2. I ended up with 5 layers.
    NUMBERED LAYERS.jpg

Credits: Layer 1 - I Am Enough (Elements) | LiLi Wee; Layers 2 & 3 - artCRUSH No8 (Brushmix), Layers 4 & 5 - artCrush No11 {artsy Swirls} | NBK Design; Layers 6 & 7 - Carefree {Bundle} Urban Masks | NBK Design

3. Masks typically are darker in the centre, radiating out into lighter/feathery edges.
    Move your individual layers into a composition that you like, paying attention to the edges of your mask as these parts will be the parts that really stand out when you merge all your layers together.

4. With my initial five layers, the centre area of the mask had a lot of gaps which would not have shown my photo too well. To fix this I added two more layers, using actual clipping mask shapes from one of NBK Design's kits (see layers 6 & 7 above). Move/resize them to fit OR, on a new layer you can simply use a soft brush and paint in those gaps with a solid black colour.

5. BEFORE merging your layers together use layer masks to hide the parts of any of the layers that you don’t want, as I have done in my screen shot above.

6. To merge your layers, hide the white background (if you were using one), click on the top layer and use CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+E to merge. Go back and hide the original layers below your new merged mask or if you like, move them all into a folder and then click the layer eye to turn it off.​

merging layers.jpg

merged-mask.jpg

7. You are now left with your clipping mask. (It helps to save this file as a PSD layer file so that if you need to, you can come back to it to make any changes. However, if you are totally happy with your mask at this point, you can save it as a PNG file.​

8. After saving it, trial some photos by clipping them to your new clipping mask, then go ahead and finish your layout by adding papers and embellishments and saving your layout. Your original clipping mask file will still be available if you saved it at Step 7.

trying out photos.jpg
    Tip: If your photo needs a bit of brightening, duplicate it and then change the layer blend mode to Soft Light and play around with the opacity to suit your own photo.​

My layout: I HEART THIS | I kept my page simple as I wanted the photo + mask to take center stage so I only used a couple of embellishments. :)

12X12-WREN---I-HEART-THIS-800.jpg

Credits: Eucalyptus Mixed Media Papers; Pocket Art: Signature Kit 4 (Messy Threads); Pocket Art: Signature Kit 1 (Wordstrip, button & flower) | Rachel Jefferies.

I was going to create a Christmas clipping mask but ran out of time, so I will play along with you guys to do it. :) Exactly the same steps as above, just use Christmas type brushes etc. :)

Reminder: Your page must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product. Your page should be posted in your Lilypad Gallery and linked to this thread. Use the BBcode Code next to your page in the gallery and paste it in when you 'Post Reply' to this thread.

You have until 11:59 pm EDT on July 31 to complete this Christmas in July challenge. There will be one random $3 winner!

Have fun and looking forward to seeing your pages!! :yup

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    AlyciaIN, cfile, umyesh and 1 other person like this.
  2. wombat146

Reserved for any Q&A :)

3. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

WOW- gorgeous- thank you so much for your wonderful tutorial, Ona♥

wombat146 likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

This is wonderful, Ona! I'm going to play tomorrow.

wombat146 likes this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I love doing this.. thanks Ona for the fun :)
    [​IMG]

wombat146, norton94 and flowersgal like this.
  6. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

thank you Ona for the tutorial ...

[​IMG]

Thuria, wombat146, cfile and 3 others like this.
  7. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you Ona for this challenge

my mask Mon masque.png

my page
    [​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  8. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Thanks for the fun tutorial. I made the mask from Rebecca's Spills and Splatters brushes.
    [​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm not 100% happy with the clipping mask I made, but at least I made my very first one! Thanks, Ona @wombat146 for the tutorial. I learned some things and my next one will be better.

[​IMG]

Here's the clipping mask I made. Very "primitive" but I used 5 layers and my next one will be better.

blending-mask.jpg

AJK and wombat146 like this.
  10. heather_dw

heather_dw Well-Known Member

11. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Thanks for the tutorial, loved reading about your process.

[​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  12. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Enjoyed the challenge!
    [​IMG]

wombat146 likes this.
  13. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

Fun challenge!
    [​IMG]
    Here's my clipping mask. I made it out of seven different layers:
    Christmas clipping mask.jpg

14. AlyciaIN

AlyciaIN Well-Known Member

AJK likes this.
  15. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Challenge
    [​IMG]

16. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

17. wombat146

:circlesoh goodness, what amazing additions!!! off to the gallery I go!!! :run:run:run:wubb

18. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Is 12 layers going overboard? :P Could I have made the camera more visible?
    Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 2.40.53 PM.png
    [​IMG]

19. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Thank you, I had fun
    [​IMG]

20. DigiGrace

DigiGrace Make mine a purple passion

Ona, thank you for the wonderful tutorial and the fun challenge.

[​IMG]

Mask-Web.jpg