**Winners Announced** Challenge 2 - Brushwork Borders | Summer School 2021: Week 2 Art Class

Discussion in 'Summer School 2021' started by ArmyGrl, Jul 12, 2021.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Week 2 ART CLASS

HOMEWORK CHALLENGE: BRUSHWORK BORDERS
    Due Date: 11:59 EST, 18 July 2021
    Thank you all for participating in the Brushwork Borders Challenge! You all ROCKED your assignment and received an A+!!!

The lucky winners of the challenge are:

$10 - @bjthomas
    $5 - @G.J.
    $3 - @honeyandcheese

Coupon codes are sent out so please check your inbox!

:bk

1. Paper_Inspiration_2.jpg
    Welcome to week two of Summer School! This week, we explore Art Journaling, Mixed Media, Ephemera, Mask and … drum roll …

BRUSHES!
    One of the challenges this week is to create your very own borders using brushes (.abr or .png files).

To qualify for this challenge, you MUST:

1. Start with a solid background paper. You are welcome to use any color paper. You can use a light to moderately textured paper.

Amy Wolff’s Mega Solids Vol. 6 is a perfect example of light to moderately textured solids (you are not required to use this pack for this challenge). Your starting paper must be free of paint marks, masks, patterns, gesso, glitter, or brushes. Ideally, your starting paper looks like a blank canvas. Examples of light to moderate textures include, but are not limited to, linen, canvas, card-stock, the look of crumpled up paper, and cardboard.

2. awolff_-megasolids6_preview.jpg
    2. Use a minimum of THREE (3) brushes (no maximum) to create 2 - 4 borders on your background paper. Examples include left-side and right-side borders; top and bottom borders; or all four sides. You MUST list the three (or more) brushes you used in your credits! A border means just that – on the edge of your layout!

You are highly encouraged to use .abr brush files. However, if your software platform does not recognize .abr brush files, you are more than welcome to use the .png rendition of the brush. Many TLP designers include both .abr and .png files in their kits. You may want to do a search in your computer's search engine for ".abr" as many kits have brushes in them. Should you be lacking in brushes, they are on sale this week!

Please avoid the temptation to use premade transfers. The goal of this week's challenge is to make your own! "Paint" and "stamps" are permissible as long as they are not pre-clustered.

Inspiration and examples of borders on designer papers:
    3. Paper_Inspiration.jpg

3. Finish off your layout with your choice of ephemera, elements, word art, photos, and journaling. There is no minimum or maximum amount of these items; however, be sure your custom-made brushwork borders are visible in the finished piece!

4. Upload your layout by 11:59 EST (New York Time Zone) Sunday, 18 July 2021 and post in this thread in order to qualify for:

1st Prize: 10$
    2nd Prize: 5$
    3rd Prize: 3$ random drawing!

5. Normal challenge rules apply:
    - Your page must be a new page for this challenge.
    - Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product.
    - Your page must be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then posted in this thread so I can track entries and comment on your page.

Recap: Use a minimum of three (3) brushes (.abr or .png files) to create 2—4 borders on a plain to moderately textured background paper.

Due date: 11:59 EST, 18 July 2021.

List the three brushes (or more) in your credits.

Note: If art journal style is not your thing, that is okay! Many designers include .abr files in their digital kits.

Example of clean and simple brushes:
    Tourist by Elif Sahin Designs
    [​IMG]

Work in progress, border progression:
    6. WorkingOnMe.jpg

Finished layout:
    [​IMG]

**STOP***You Are Not Required to Read Below this line.***STOP***​

Photoshop Tips for Brushes

1. Use Blending Options - This allows the background texture to come through.
    7.0 Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 7.45.01 AM.png

Before:
    7 Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 7.47.00 AM.png

After:
    8 Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 7.48.59 AM.png
    What changed? Look in the box labeled "Blend if: Gray." I moved the black slider adjustments to 53/67. If the background paper was white, I would have moved the white sliders.

2. Keep each brush on its own layer. This allows you to recolor and resize each brush independently, as if it is its own element. You can also run additional blend modes or layer styles (fx) on the brush. A layer style I commonly use is "emboss."

3. Resizing a brush is easy...use the left and right bracket keys on your keyboard.
    9 Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 12.18.45 PM.png

***That is all I have for you! Happy scrapping and creating!***​

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    wvsandy, norton94, umyesh and 5 others like this.
  2. ArmyGrl

This spot is reserved for questions. Don't be shy, ask away!

Q. Can I run the blending options in PSE?
    A. From my understanding, no. This is not available in Photoshop Elements. However, our wonderful Pollywog Christa (@cfile) developed a style that may work for you: No Font Float This is an .asl file.

Q. Do I have to list every brush used?
    A. No - at a minimum list THREE brushes you used. This way I know you met the challenge intent :P which is to use a minimum of three unique brushes. If you used three different brush sets - it is perfectly okay to list just the sets (as it indicates you used three different brushes).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    umyesh, cfile and mmbstaley like this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Awesome borders you created @ArmyGrl :) I love to paint the edges :)

4. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Fabulous challenge Lisa, l love using brushes to make edges, will make a page for sure!!!

5. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

just could not resist
    [​IMG]

AlyciaIN, cfile and Karen like this.
  6. ad77

ad77 Well-Known Member

just to be sure - every single brush must be credited? not just the name of the set of brushes?

7. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I love your tutorial, Lisa!! one more that I need to play!! =)

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

What an awesome challenge, Lisa! I need to learn how to do this!

9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Cool, Lisa! @ArmyGrl BTW, I use blending in PSE- but you would have to simplify the layer once the brush/style is used..?

10. ad77

ad77 Well-Known Member

I´m really not sure if it´s what is expected, it was a battle between creativity and the need to use just brushes I ´m sure about the designer and name:-). I have brushes loaded in PS and a lot of them are just "sample brush nr" without name of designer etc.
    [​IMG]

11. ArmyGrl

How about a compromise - list THREE of the brushes used. This way I know you met the challenge intent. IF you use three different brush sets it is okay to list just as the brush sets - as logic would have it, at least three different brushes were used.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

[​IMG]
    LBW M3 june20
    APennington Talk to Me (incl. brushes), Blah Blah Blah kit and brushes
    M3sept16-paint (brushes)

wvsandy likes this.
  13. ArmyGrl

I hope I am answering your question. I don't have PSE, thus it is difficult to understand the context of PSE questions at times.

For this challenge there is no need to modify brushes used (e.g. simplify the layer after a style is used). If you want to use a style on your brush that results in the brush looking dimensional, that is perfectly okay! The key to this challenge is two things: use at least three brushes and make at least two borders using brushes. Anything else is free game.

G.J. likes this.
  14. Sharon-shutterbug

Sharon-shutterbug Active Member

I gotta be honest, I started doing this challenge and 45 minutes into it I absolutely hated my results. I changed the background paper to a different color, kept adding more brushes, moved some things around, changed the opacity of some, and ended up relatively happy with it. Once I added in my photos and some elements, I was actually quite pleased with the final product. It was definitely something that was out of my comfort zone, but at the same time something I'd really like to be able to do and do well, so thank you for challenging me! I definitely need to practice, practice, practice but I think there's hope for me! ;D.

[​IMG]

G.J., wvsandy and cfile like this.
  15. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you Lisa for this challenge!

[​IMG]

G.J. and wvsandy like this.
  16. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

This isn't something I do often, I normally use ready made edges if I use them. Thank you for the challenge.
    [​IMG]

G.J. likes this.
  17. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

my take

[​IMG]

G.J. and wvsandy like this.
  18. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

It was fun to just play! Thanks!
    [​IMG]

G.J. likes this.
  19. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I've never done this before and I loved it! Thank you so much for sharing your expertise!
    Brushes used:
    1 arrow 1 (bottom left)
    2 arrow 2 (bottom left)
    3 arrow 3 (bottom right)
    4 lace (top & bottom)
    5 love (bottom)
    6 heart (in "o")
    7 hearts (bottom scallop)
    [​IMG]

20. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Fun challenge, after several prompts, finally I went with this one. Basically I used a bunch of brushes and stamps, I don't either remember all the blended moods that I used, one over the another, lol, but I loved the final result, so I didn't add so many elements, hoping is ok. Full credits in gallery, thank you so much for hosting the challenge dear Lisa, by the way, love your layout! Have a very beautiful day!
    [​IMG]