Canon Selphy? Or other at home printer?

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by bestcee, Jan 5, 2023.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I am considering getting a little photo printer. I had an old HP Photosmart printer back in the early aughts, but it was pretty expensive to buy ink for, and when it broke, I let it go.
    I'm ready to have one again. I don't print very often, when I have big print orders, I would still send them out. But since that's about a week process, I'd like something more instant and portable-ish. I have a main printer I like for everything else that I'm perfectly happy with.

I was reading about the Canon Selphy printers, and they seem to be popular among scrappers. I see there's a CP1300 and a CP1500. Does anyone have this? I'm not sure if it's worth getting the 1500 for the extra $40, when it looks like minimal feature changes.
    I'd like to print with my SD card and Pixel phone. I mean, I'd love to print straight from my Canon DSLR, but I don't know that you can. Plus, it's pretty easy to connect my DSLR to my phone anyway if I was out, and the SD card is always a simple solution.

So, now that I've stayed up for an hour and a half past my bedtime researching, when I should have just asked the Pad! what are your thoughts? Negative and positive welcome! Do you have an at home photo specific printer? Love it? Hate it? Meh?

Does it have a photo strip, like photo booth, printing option?

2. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I bought the 1500 for my sister for Christmas and now I want one myself. Like you, I spent a lot of time researching and it looks good but I don’t have any personal experience with using it.

bestcee likes this.
  3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@dawnmarch any reason why you picked the 1500 over the 1300? I'm deciding if the one newer year is necessary or if I can save the money.

4. dawnmarch

Really just because it was the newest one? :lol Also, I think I read a review that had a criticism on the older one that the paper cartridge wasn't closed and collected dust and it looked closed on the newer one. I could be completely wrong about that - it's just an impression I have sloshing around in my brain. :eyeroll

5. er_creates

er_creates Pollywog

I had a Selphy years ago and got rid of it and got a picture mate pm-400. I wanted more flexibility with picture size. I also regularly throw 3”x4” cards through it. It’s my fav and I would immediately buy another if something happened to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

I thought about getting the selphy at one time and decided against it based on the reviews. I did try the Kodak Dock Plus 4x6 and sent it packing right back as my photo quality wasn't the best. I think for non-scrappers it probably would have been ok, but it didn't quite cut muster for me. LOL.

I then opted to just go big or go home and purchased the Epson ET4800, it's the refillable economy tank and I have yet to run out of ink. I use it to print my photos and all the papers I use for hybrid projects. It is on the pricier side and I did find it on sale and I have lots of gadgets and I will tell you, this has been one of my better investments.

7. dawnmarch

I have the Epson 3750 and honestly, it never really occurred to me to try to print photos with it. :lol Maybe I need to see what it can do.

Esther do you use Epson photo paper?

8. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

LOL..... maybe.... lol. it has actually saved me so much money. I love printing on demand.