Can we talk???

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by NancyP, Jun 4, 2017.

1. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

OK, I need a shoulder! Well----LOTS of shoulders!!! I am fuming!! There is smoke coming out of my ears!! And when that happens, you KNOW you have pushed too many buttons!!! :badmood I live in a home that has been converted to two apartments. Nice, cause you still kinda feel like you are in your own home. Lived here for 3 years now. When I moved in, I got along with the other lady. Hardly heard her, and I tried my best to do the same. Wouldn't run any of my kitchen utencils until after 8 am. Stopped before 6 pm. Vacuumed when I knew she was up. Tried to be considerate in every way. Two years ago she moved, got someone else in for a year; same consideration. Got a third person in and didn't even know anyone lived there; she was so quiet.
    Well, three days ago another young lady moved in and------HOLY CRAP!!!!! I keep thinking any time now my walls are going to fall down or something is going to come crashing through them!!!!! She moves in a 9 p.m. Ok, so maybe thats the only time she could get all the help she had, but come on!!! It was like a freight train going through the house for over an hour. There is a WAY to move things without crashing into walls!!!! Especially when its that late at night. Then after she was all moved in, they congregated on the lawn right below my bedroom window and had a party-----loud laughing, loud talking. INDOOR VOICE people!! Its now 11 at night!!!! :hairpolOK, benefit of the doubt---just moving, all excited, I let it go. But for the past two nights, she is up at all hours doing heaven only knows. Sounds like furniture being moved around, banging, all kinds of good stuff----AT 3 IN THE MORNING!!!!! She stays up all night and does all this stuff. This morning she finally went to bed around 5, after waking me up at 3 ----and here I am; 8 a.m and still wide awake! And I have a huge picnic celebration to attend today. :banghead
    I am on what they call the North end of town. All residential and we roll in the sidewalks around 8 p.m. After that you could hear a pin drop! I mean, it is QUIET!!! And everyone around here loves that!
    OK, I vented!! I feel better!!! Will give her a few more days to settle in and then if it doesn't stop, its talk time!! :nuno

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

oh Nancy.. so very sorry. After you talk with her, if it doesn't change then advise the landlord. I am so sorry you have that issue. When I lived in an apt in a house the owner was so nice. Right after I moved in, maybe 6 months, they decided to sell. no biggie, the new owners got a built in tennant... well the child was on in home dialysis over night, yet threw temper tantrums all the time. He was only 5 at the time and had lots of med issues due to kidney transplants and dialysis. The landlord Mr was very sweet and nice. The Mrs. ? When sober was very nice, but at night, nope.. she would yell at Mr at the top of her lungs and it would last until 3 am..I lived below them and I would blare my radio or TV to cancel out their yelling. She got mad at me as I set my radio alarm clock at high volume and because it was directly under her bedroom I would wake her every morning. LOL... we ended up learning how to live with each other though. It was only a few years and then I moved as I was getting married. I even found them someone to rent the apt. before I left so they didn't lose any rent!

Good luck with the girl. maybe she doesn't realize the walls are so thin.

3. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Hugs, Nancy! I really hope it gets better soon.

4. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I am going to make a guess that this woman is in her 20s. (I could be wrong. But, it's a guess). If she's never lived anywhere but her own home, a dorm room, or a shared house with friends, she probably doesn't realize how loud she's being, or how this is out of character for the neighbourhood. I know. Because I was that girl. Well, not as crazy, but still. Just be straight with her. As soon as possible. Tell her what you don't mind (weekend parties, as long as it quiets down around midnight, whatever...) But that you need your sleep.

AJK likes this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've been there. Years ago when my girls were young we lived in an apartment where the neighbors would blare their music all night long as they drunk talked all night at the top of their lungs. My poorgirls would cry in the middle of the night sometimes from the noise. I responded with anger and banging on their door to quiet down. It never made a difference. If I could do it all over again I would try friendliness and a calm discussion about compromises. I wish you well. Hope things improve. Hopefully it's a matter of her just not thinking about how her disruptive her noise is.

6. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

I would guess her to be around mid 20s and she is coming from another apartment so she knows better. I finally got to bed at 8 this morning and had to get up at 11 to get ready for my picnic. Don't know if I will make it the whole time. I am exhausted.
    The thing is---there is a row of closets between her bedroom and my bedroom. Her closet on one side. My closet on the other side and the two of them take up the whole wall----so a buffer between the two bedrooms. She has removed her closet door!!!!! NO BUFFER NOW!!!! I saw it down in the basement; and I know it is the closet door because when I first moved here, I had that apartment. I moved to this one when it became available because it is bigger.
    Well, like I said, I will see how it goes over the next week or so.
    I don't want to say anything to Mike (the landlord) because she would be out in a heartbeat!!! He absolutely loves me and has practically adopted me as his mother!!! He's quite young and a police officer. He warns everyone he puts in there that if there are problems; I will not be the one to go. I keep telling him not to say that because then they dislike me before they even move in!!!!!!
    Oh well----we shall see how it goes. Hopefully, once she gets everything where she wants it, things will settle down.

Juliestcyr and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  7. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I'd let it settle down for a bit like you said. Then try the friendly approach which I'm sure is what you'd do anyway. She still may not understand how much noise carries in your place or maybe her schedule will become more normal. In the meantime, I'm a very light sleeper so I use a white noise machine to even out noises during the night. A fan or humidifier will often do the trick.

8. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

YIKES!!!! No advice, because we're not cordial talky people either with any of our neighbors when we lived in apartments. We were the go over and tell you to your face to keep that noise down people. ROFL

9. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

((Huugs)) I really do hope its gets better and she settles in and is then quiet.!!

Not fair if your not able to sleep even! That is just rude and shelfish on her part!

10. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Oh no! I hope she settles down and things quiet down for you. Hugs!

11. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

@NancyP So sorry, Nancy. That's so disruptive to your life and sanity! I'm praying it gets better for you soon.

12. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

If all else fails, buy some earplugs!

13. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

Oh no! I'm so sorry and hope that she gets settled in and things change!!

14. LynnG

LynnG Designer

That's terrible. I feel for you as I have BTDT and it's the worst for your quality of life. You need your sleep and peace! Don't feel bad about seeking help from the landlord xx

Juliestcyr likes this.
  15. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

how frustrating. hope it gets better!

16. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

how frustrating. hope it gets better!

17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'm with you ~ I'd wait a bit to see if this is her just settling in to a new place and then if it continues with no improvement I would have a nice talk with her, kind but firm.

I don't live in an apartment, but live on a street surrounded by rental houses. Some of the renters are super inconsiderate with their activities early in the morning and late at night. So totally feel you on the irritation of this!

Sending you ((HUGS)).

18. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I've lived in apartments...some with good neighbors, some with not good neighbors. It's a tough situation. I hope she settles down and it's just the excitement of it all.

19. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

We have lived in our condo for about 20 years now and have had neighbors of all kinds. One was abusive to his wife and I called the police on them one time. I was afraid he was going to hurt her really bad. I could hear her crying out in pain. Another neighbor had boyfriends in and out all the time. I think they must have been doing drugs or something inside because for about three days I could smell something so strong and I just cleaned and cleaned wondering if it was coming from something on my side of the wall. Nothing I did took the smell away and then all of a sudden it was gone. Her kids would run up and down the stairs and they'd hit the walls day and night. I'm a night owl and I spend a lot of time on the computer late at night. Sometimes the wall bumping would start around midnight and on and it would be so loud it would startle me.

Anyway....all of that to say I'm sorry you are having problems with your new neighbor. I know what you are feeling. And I hope she settles in and that life quiets down again. The neighbors we have in that unit right now were very noisy to begin with. They have a little girl who when she cries it ends up being this high pitched shrill scream. And she did it often. Even that has calmed down a lot for which I am grateful. :) I think a lot of her crying was because she wanted her way and wasn't getting it. :)

20. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Oh no!!! I will never understand how someone can make so much noise without taking anyone else into consideration, it's so rude!!! I really hope she settles it down on her own in the next couple days...not a good way to start making friends with the existing neighbors.

I cringe at the thought of having to talk to her...but if you end up having to go that route, I sure hope she's receptive and makes some changes; nothing worse than not feeling comfortable where you live.

Hugs to you!!