Can I ask for prayers?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by rchansen, Feb 27, 2019.

1. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

Friday I received maybe the worst news I've ever received in my life. My Dad has pancreatic cancer. It was so unexpected and out of nowhere, no one was prepared for this. Not that you're ever really prepared.

My Dad is the strongest man I know. My Superman. His love for my Mom is like no other I have ever witnessed and he will give it all he can to stay and take care of her. Their 50th anniversary is May 2020 and that is his first small goal. Family is everything to my Dad. He will fight but it will be hard. My Mom is broken. She went from her parents home to marriage at 19 and they truly are everything to each other.

For those of you who believe in prayer, your prayers would be appreciated. Please pray for my Dad to remain positive and give it his all. Pray for the tumor to shrink once he begins chemo and that surgery later becomes an option. Pray for strength for my Mom. She is so strong when she's with him but crumbles when it's just the two of us. Pray that I can have my Dad longer...he needs to be here for our family, for my girls college graduations, for their weddings, to meet their children one day.

I've been through this with my husband when we lost his dad and sister to this evil disease, but this is the hardest thing I've ever gone through yet!!

2. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

Robyn, I will definitely pray for your Dad and Mom and the whole family. We lost my sister to pancreatic cancer at the age of 52. I can feel your Mom's pain as my husband and I have pretty much the same history. We got married when I was 19 and we will celebrate our 50th anniversary this year. You will all be in my thoughts as well as my prayers!

3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

bless you Robyn, praying for him and you. My dad has that, but they are not treating it.

4. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I’m so very sorry, Robyn. I will absolutely add his healing to my daily prayer intentions. I’ll ask my church group to pray for him and your family as well. Big hugs, my dear!!

5. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I'm so, so sorry that this terrible disease has hit your family like this. Prayers and love to you all.

6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I would be honored to lift him up in prayer.

7. rchansen

@patsyt Such an awful disease!! I am sorry for your loss!! Thank you for your prayers.
    @Angela Toucan I am so sorry they are not treating your dad. I will add him to my prayers.
    @londoncuppa Thank you is not enough. I truly appreciate the prayers.
    @carrie1977 Thank you. Cancer is pure evil. The prayers and love are appreciated!!
    @BevG Beautiful. Thank you so much!!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  8. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

Robyn, I'm sending big hugs to you and your family. And prayers said. I so know how you are feeling right now. We lost my Dad to cancer, too. And I still remember the day he told us he had it. Such a hard, hard thing. And, yes. A very wicked disease. It whacked us a good one, too. I felt like someone had taken a baseball bat and hit me up the side of the head with it. It was a really hard time for me.

I have a piece of advice if you are willing to take it. Cry when you need to. But then get back in there and make memories. Live life, love, get him to tell you his stories, laugh a lot, and make the best of the time you have left with him. You won't ever regret living joyfully while you have him with you. My Mom was very sick when we went thru this with my Dad. So my siblings and I had our hands full of caring for both of them during that time. Those who lived out of state came home to help us. It was a tough time. But we did all we could to keep the joy going. I have photos of all of us together and we are smiling smiles that never reached our eyes. But we smiled anyway. We laughed, we teased, we reminisced. And in our private moments we cried our hearts out. And we survived with sweet memories to comfort us. We had my Dad for about three months after he was diagnosed. And we lost my Mom six and a half months after that.

I hope the treatments help your Dad. And that you will have peace and comfort in the days ahead. Special hugs for you.

Karen and carrie1977 like this.
  9. blueberries

blueberries Did I ever tell you I have a thing for snakes?

Sending gentle thoughts and all the hope that things go as well as they can for you and yours. May his road be smooth, and your family's be filled with helping hands.

10. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

I'm so very sorry, Robyn. I will be praying for you all.

11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Robyn, Love, hugs and prayers for your Dad and that with chemo and surgery he will be ok. I pray for the strength of your Mom and the rest of your family as he battles this. Hugs and prayers and positivity being sent your way. He will be at that 50th Anniversary party :) Love to you too.

12. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Robyn, I'm so sorry about your dad. My cousin is a survivor. She was able to have some kind of surgery and they removed her pancreas. We didn't even know a person could live without it. She's now going on well over 10 years. There IS hope. It's a horrible disease, though. Sending love, hugs and prayers to your whole family.

Karen likes this.
  13. CindyB

CindyB Proud to be a Hoofer!

Oh this hurts my heart...I lost my godfather to pancreatic cancer. Sending prayers for strength for you, and healing prayers for your Dad. Hugs!

14. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I'm so sorry, Robyn. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and hoping for a successful outcome from his treatment and many good days ahead. (((hugs)))

15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm so sorry, Robyn. I know this must be so hard for you all. You have my prayers, my thoughts, and my love.

16. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

May the Lord let your dad continue to be the rock he has been to your mom, you and your family. May he be strong for the trials the Lord has put in his path and may he be triumphant in all of them! Amen.

17. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm so sorry, Robyn. You and your family are in my prayers. May you all find strength and peace during treatment.

18. rchansen

@Jan Great advise. Thank you!! I have cried everyday since we got the news - mostly when I'm praying and sometimes out of nowhere - but I can also talk about it and am ready to help him fight. We get his plan Monday and I'm having a hard time waiting. Like let's just go!! I'm sorry for the loss of both your mom and dad. That's hard (and my biggest fear!). Thanks for the good thoughts and hugs!!
    @blueberries Thank you for the kind words!!
    @3BluEyedBabies Thank you for the prayers!!
    @cfile Christa, your comment brought tears to my eyes. Making it to the 50th is our first goal. Thank you so much for the prayers, hugs and positivity. We'll take 'em!!
    @Cherylndesigns I didn't realize you could live without a pancreas!! I will definitely look into this more. The love, hugs and prayers are appreciated!!
    @CindyB I am sorry for your loss. Such a terrible disease!! Thank you for the prayers!!
    @KimJ Thank you Kim. I'm very hopeful as well...
    @IntenseMagic Thank you, Jan!! It is harder than anything I've ever experienced. I appreciate the prayers and love!!
    @Dalis Beautiful prayer!! Thank you. He really is our rock...that's the perfect word for him.
    @Tree City Thank you Sara for your prayers. So appreciated!!

So thankful for this beautiful group!!

cfile, Jan, Cherylndesigns and 2 others like this.
  19. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I'm really sorry, Robyn! I'm sending good vibes and prayers your way, so your father has the strength to be better and your family the courage handle this time...
    this is a horrible disease, I lost my mom to it, another organ, but the battle is hard! no one should suffer from this nightmare...

20. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Robyn,
    praying for that peace that passes understanding and for the joy of the Lord to envelope the family; as we know that joy is strength and a merry heart can bring healing. He is with you.

flowersgal likes this.