Calling all Party Planners

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by enjoyyourpix, Jul 20, 2016.

1. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I know some of you, **cough-cough** @AnneofAlamo, can throw together dinner for 100 in their sleep. Next weekend, I'm having Courtney's birthday and it's falling across dinner time. Here's the menu. Anyone wanna help me decide how much food I need??

I think the guest list is about 30. The kids are 16-18 years old. Mainly girls, but there may be 5-10 boys there.

Pre-dinner snacks (out by pool)
    Carrots/Celery
    Chips and salsa
    Grapes

Dinner
    Fruit salad (heavy on watermelon)
    Salad (probably just Cesar)
    Macaroni and Cheese (I'll make the day before and heat up in crockpots before the party or maybe doing a large disposable pan and putting it in oven ... not sure which is best)

Dessert (she doesn't want cake)
    Brownies
    M&M Cookies
    Rice Crispy Treats

Popcorn (for movie)
    m&m's, licorice, and gummy worms

Thanks ladies!!! Off to go clean the yard some more!!!

2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Pre-dinner snacks (out by pool)
    Carrots/Celery
    Chips and salsa
    Grapes (freeze them - and use red and green)

Dinner
    Fruit salad (heavy on watermelon)
    Salad (probably just Cesar)
    Macaroni and Cheese (I'll make the day before and heat up in crockpots before the party or maybe doing a large disposable pan and putting it in oven ... not sure which is best)

With boys you can never go wrong with any kind of meat usually. They tend to inhale food. I'll add a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip

Dessert (she doesn't want cake)
    Brownies (make one pan regular and one with the cream cheese mix swirled through and if you want it to be adult worthy swirl raspberry jam too)
    M&M Cookies
    Rice Crispy Treats

Popcorn (for movie)
    m&m's, licorice, and gummy worms

bestcee and enjoyyourpix like this.
  3. cookingmylife

Buffalo Chicken Dip

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs)
    1 12oz. bottle Frank's Hot Sauce
    2 8oz pkgs. cream cheese
    1 16oz. bottle blue cheese salad dressing(or Ranch if you prefer)
    8 oz shredded sharp cheddar, Mont. Jack or a combo

Boil chicken until cooked through, shred with 2 forks.
    Preheat oven to 350. In a 13x9, combine chicken with hot sauce and spread evenly.
    In a large saucepan over med. heat, combine the cream cheese and dressing, stirring until smooth and hot. Pour evenly over chicken. Bake uncovered for 20 min., then sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake uncovered for another 10 min. Let stand 10 min. before serving.

I was really surprised with the recipe.....It sure tasted like there was Much more to it! It was good!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Was asked how it was eaten and she said with scoop fritos or tortilla chips. I think it might go well on soft tortillas.

My own note- I have not tried it on the soft tortillas and think that might be a mess...

bestcee and enjoyyourpix like this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

bhahahha I heard your cough!
    I am all for easy peasy, nachos for all with the fixins

two big cans of Nachos (put one in the crock pot) have another ready to heat on stove...you may or may not need
    can of jalepenos sliced, olives, beans, salsa, sour cream, meat (hamburger pre cooked and crumbled), bacon guacamole...yada yada
    4-6 bags of corn chips
    paper plates
    forks

too many choices in my never to be humble and (cough cough) asked for opinion!
    the boys will eat everything but the salad, the girls will put salad on plate but not eat it! bhahhha in my experience with teens (they both will eat the chocolate, every bit of it)
    brownies are so cool, what a great idea!!

what if you had a nacho bar and an ice cream sundae bar....???
    your licorice, gummies, brownies, and the sky is the limit on what goes on sundaes...fruit toppings, etc
    and bowls and spoons!

get the fixins, when it is gone...it is gone! lol
    put it on a disposable table cloth, and roll up and put in garbage when over!

the sundaes can be before the movie....and then they can gnosh on the fixins during movie

I recommend can soda and water in coolers
    and snacks by pool? eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek are you insane!!?!?! bhahhaha

play in pool laugh horse around
    come in and eat nachos
    kick them out for more games...clean up nacho mess
    then
    pull out the ice cream, brownies and start movie (leave the lights ON) bhahwhwhha
    end movie,
    games and get them OUT of your house...bhwhwhah

tkradtke likes this.
  5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I love the Buffalo chicken dip! We eat it with chicken in a biskit crackers.

6. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

I love that buffalo chicken dip recipe too. We have eaten it with tortilla chips or spread on baguette bread (my fave!!)

7. cookingmylife

I've taken that dip to lots of get togethers and it's a good balance of fun and solid meat. Even better is Maryland crab dip - lump crab meat, butter and cream cheese heated with Old Bay seasoning to make it properly gooey. Call the cardiologist first! This is always served at the Governor's house.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  8. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Thanks for the suggestions!! Those recipes look good!!

I remembered that one of the popular dinners we did for the cheerleaders before one of the games was a sort of faux Chipotle dinners so I think I'm going to go with that. Plus, I know how much food to make since we had 34 girls on the team last year and that's where my RSVP list tends to be going.

• I'm going to make up a crockpot of chicken. Actually, I'm going to cook it ahead of time and do a more grilled chicken instead of the simmered crockpot. But before the party, I'm going to load up the crockpot and re-heat it there.
    • Few pounds of ground meat and add seasons to it. (Add to list to borrow a smaller crock pot)
    • Black beans
    • Cilantro-lime rice. Rice cooker it and then just toss with the seasoning when it's ready to go
    • bowls of lettuce, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, and cheese
    • If I can get another crockpot, I'm going to use @AnneofAlamo's suggestion and get some nacho cheese. For those who want, they can do nachos.
    • From Costco, I'll get tortillas and chips and the kids can make up burritos/bowls/salads/nachos and go to town.
    Snacks before hand will be some chips and fruit out by the pool. At dinner time, I'll move everyone out of the pool area and get food by the house.

Dessert will be cookies, brownies, rice crispy treats. I'm going to check one more time and see if Courtney wants cupcakes. I sort of hope not, but I do make decently cute cupcakes and my stand is cute as well.

I have the popcorn for the party (I bought it from a shop on Sunday and it's sealed and ready. I need sort out the bowls or bags still) but I have the candy to go with it. I just need to buy licorice.

I'm getting there!!!