Calendars | Pad Patter 12.11

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Dec 11, 2019.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Calendars. As we get to the end of the year I feel like everyone is either giving me one for free or emailing me something about making my own!

So... Do you accept free calendars? I have one from Springs Preserve - a horticultural type place, although it's so much more! We also got one of those bamboo like roll up ones from the Chinese food place the other day.

Do you like to make your own? I'm considering it, but it seems like a lot of work!

Or do you prefer no paper calendars? Or something else?

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I do a year calendar with a few photos on top.. I make one for my Brother and send him the jpeg to print and then I print one for our frig with photos from the year. It always makes me smile..

Paislee Press has some good templates for the all year one... also NBK is doing that for us for the full year calendar if you wanted to make one and print it with Persnickety prints.

3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I need to get a new diary and will do while I’m away - I’m already getting one for a gift for someone anyway

4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I haven't been getting free calendars much anymore for the last few years.

And it's okay because it has been two years now since I completely transitioned to a digital calendar. I use Apple Calendar on both my phone and my iMac. Along with a dash of Google calendar, just because that's what a local homeschool group uses. I'm not 100% happy with either calendar, I really hate the Google calendar, and someday hope to find a better one, but the Apple one works well for me now. I just fear I might someday switch from Apple back to PC and will be forced to change calendars.

I do have a paper calendar on my wall above my desk though. I don't write on it, but I glance at it a lot when I want to check a date (such as, "What was the date last Thursday?"). Many years I have taken advantage of online freebies or steep discounts like from Shutterfly and created my own. But for this year, my attention was grabbed by a clearance sale at some online store and I found a calendar of photos of the moon. The grid is black so it would have been no good for a person who wants to write on their calendar, but the numbers and lines were that glow-in-the-dark stuff, so that was fun.

bestcee likes this.
  5. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I haven't been gifted any calendars... my husband got one from his university that he put up above his desk. I have a desk calendar i received in a happy planner surprise box, but i wouldn't usually buy a calendar. My kitchen has a large chalkboard one i made a few years ago, and i update that each month as the family calendar.

And then i keep planners (yes, plural)... i have too many of those to keep straight. :giggle

6. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I can't remember the last time we got sent a free large calendar from a business, but they always went straight into the recycle bin. We would use the small magnetic ones that we could stick on the fridge, but we haven't gotten any of those in a while either.

I'm all about function over pretty, and I do use paper calendars. I have a large 3-month view calendar that I hang above my desk as a reference. We also have a monthly one hanging in our breakfast nook that is just big blank boxes with a bit of a decorative border. We use that one to write down all the various appointments and activities. If I'm going to be out somewhere and know I may need to schedule something, I take a picture of the relevant months to refer to. I've tried using digital calendars, but I just don't like them.

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

The local Lions Club in my town has done a calendar for as long as I can remember. People put their birthdays and anniversaries on it. It cost $8. My mom started buying it when her dad was in the club. He put all the information for his family on it. When he no longer participated in the club, my dad's brother was a member and he became the point person for the family. I kept up with buying the calendar even after Mom died. It always hung inside a cabinet in the kitchen. Every time I got a plate, I saw it. Well, when I did my remodel a couple years ago, it doesn't fit on that cabinet door so I put it on a different one. Except it is a cabinet that I don't use much at all so I never see the calendar. The calendar runs July to June so when my uncle brought mine this year, I told him to not get me one anymore. When I took the old one out to put the new one up, it was still on February... this was in June.

As for tracking appointments and other needed information, I have used a small 3 ring binder planner in the past. I can no longer find the pages that came in it when I got it and that was the selling point for that planner. Also, my schedule isn't as busy now so that got to be a bit much. Instead I found a 2 year planner at the office supply store that didn't cost that much that I am using. It has the big squares for each day with a section on the side for other notes. It has holes that it could be put into a regular 3 ring binder notebook if needed.

I do put some information on my google calendar if it is something I need an alert for but since I don't live with my phone in my hand, the paper calendar works better for me.

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I use my Google calendar for almost everything, but I still have to have a paper calendar in my office at work and another one at home. The one at home is a free one that the City I live in gives it's residents. It has super cool pictures in it every year. The one for next year has all old B&W pictures from a long time ago with lots of history about the city when it was new. I love it! It also lists important things like City events and recycling days. :agree

I'm like @michelepixels I don't write anything in my paper calendars, but I use them to reference what dates were or are coming up, etc.

I also love my Paislee Press 4x6 calendar that I make every year with a family picture on each month.

bestcee likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My husband only wants one of those great big calendars that lay on his desk. So no need to make him one. The only calendar I use is on my phone.

cfile likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Don't use calendars that are given for free. I did used to do 4x6 photo calendars for family with the photos of the kiddos on them, but have even stopped doing those in the past couple of years.

I use a combo of Google Calendar and Happy Planner these days. The Happy Planner lets me be creative, and the Google Calendar is awesome for calendar sharing with family, reminders, tasks, color coding, etc. :)

bestcee and cfile like this.
  11. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I've made photo ones the last 4 or 5 years for my mom & grandma. It's to the point where if I ask my grandma what she wants for Christmas she just says that I "know what she wants from me" because she hangs hers right where everyone can see it when the come in & she sees it every day. I do know she gets lots of free ones & uses those to keep her appts in & mine is the clean pretty one that hangs up.

I need to make me one, but I get decision paralysis on my own stuff! HA! Also I do have planners every year with great intentions to use them & I don't. I'm awful.

12. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Every year I buy the Lang American Cat calendar and display it in my kitchen/dining area in a calendar frame. That's just for pretty and a quick look at the current month. For true calendar scheduling use, I use my Outlook calendar and now that I have software that will sync Outlook with the Google calendar on my phone that's even more convenient. My husband and I have a shared Google calendar.

bestcee likes this.
  13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I would LOVE to get a calendar like this. I love historical photos. I follow my city's historical society Facebook page so I can see old, old photos of familiar places.

Karen and bestcee like this.
  14. bestcee

That's cool! Do you print on photo paper? or regular printer paper?

Oh! That is something to look forward too!

I hadn't for awhile, but all of the sudden they are back in my life!

That sounds so cool!

That's awesome! Is it big? Or is it regular size? Do you use chalk or chalk markers?

I don't care for them. I use one because it's the easiest way to keep track of my husband's schedule and homeschool stuff. But I mostly use it to check his schedule when planning playdates.

Aw, bummer! I was worried about that with the planner I bought last year from micheals. So, I splurged and bought the hole punch too. That way I can make my own, but I can also buy ready made.

KimJ likes this.
  15. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I've made my own in the past and calendars for others...but those are more for decoration. My mom always gives me a calendar with everyone's birthdays and anniversaries in it. It's become a tradition.

But mostly I use the Cozi app for our family calendar. My hubby and oldest daughter can put their own stuff in there and we can see everyone's calendar.

I also have a weekly calendar on my desk for daily tasks. I also have a dry erase calendar hanging by my desk, more for the younger kids, so they can see what's going on and not have to ask me all the time!

bestcee likes this.
  16. bestcee

I miss that! A previous city I lived in sent those out with coupons for each month! It was awesome as poor college student, but I think the old photos sounds much cooler now!

Which app? Since you like it I'm assuming.

I don't usually. But the one from the Preserve is all local creatures in macro and quite pretty. Matthew was thrilled to get the panda Chinese one! We'll see how long it lasts.

This was my problem until I found the planner that worked for me! I even tried changing it up a little, but keep falling into the habit of what works.

Karen and gonewiththewind like this.
  17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

If there was a free one with cats, that might be a different story! LOL

Karen and bestcee like this.
  18. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Courtney, I use the calendar that comes with the iPhone. My DH and I have a Family Calendar and he's under strict orders (j/k) to put EVERYTHING on there. I've got him trained - even when he's standing at the doctor's office to put his next appt on the family calendar before he leaves. Then he gets the appt card and comes home and puts it on his desk calendar. Everything is automatically set up to give us 2 reminders - on every event. Birthdays, anniversaries, etc. are set up on a repeating yearly basis and standing appts are set up to automatically repeat weekly, by-weekly, etc.

I also use "Notes" and keep a running list of everything we need at different stores and I always have my "list" with me.

Now, my mother would have said, "what if something happens to your phone?" Everything I've just mentioned is automatically backed up to iCloud. I can access all of it on my iPad or my computer, Heaven forbid something does happen.

I'm assuming that Android has something similar and just as effective.

bestcee likes this.
  19. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

It's large... it's a full size sheet of black poster board paper. I used decorative duct tape to reinforce the edges, and laid washi tape down in straight(ish) lines to make day boxes... probably the quickest, cheapest, and most useful DIY I've ever done. :giggle We use actual chalk... I bought one pack and one eraser from the dollar store-- both of which we're still using.

bestcee likes this.
  20. bestcee

Google calendar does all that. I think I'm just not a digital calendar kinda girl :giggle