Book for a limited audience - perhaps

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by cookingmylife, May 29, 2018.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I just finished an audio book which is probably the first one I've 'read' that way in decades or possible the first time ever! it's The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill. This 'mystery' is set in Laos in 1975/6 after the Pathet Lao have taken control of the country and our coroner is a 72 year old man. Dr. Siri (pronounced 'silly).

Because it was an audio book, it took me a bit of time to get the names straight, and at times I wished I'd had a written copy to reference the Laotian towns as I couldn't always visualize the transliterated spelling. However, as I'd lived in Thailand the people names and the towns brought back wonderful vivid memories of SE Asia and customs of those people including 'spirits'. The narration is excellent and there is a lot of good humor in the book. If you know anyone who has lived in that part of the world, I'd think they would really enjoy it.

Karen and bestcee like this.
  2. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Laos is one of my favourite countries to visit - so beautiful and surprisingly calm. I saw this on your Good reads list and added it to my TBR pile as soon as I read the premise - thanks Maureen for finding it!

3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I did get the paper version of the book but have not had time to re-read it. I think I may save it for winter when the reading hours seem longer. Too many hours 'wasted' on cleaning up the garden today! You are the only person I've 'met' who has visited Laos. The others all went there as soldiers etc.

bestcee likes this.
  4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'd love to visit but I can barely leave my house, let alone the country, with these young beasts--I mean kids--here. ;) Maybe this would be good for an arm chair traveler.

bestcee likes this.