Blurb Book help!

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by renee82, Aug 17, 2016.

1. renee82

renee82 renee82

Hey ladies!

I want to try Blurb books but am concerned with cut off. I make my albums using the project life app and there always a little border around the edge of the layout. That being said, I'm using Blurb's online book maker and using the full bleed template. Has anyone used the full bleed template for blurb books or did you use the template that had an edge on them, just to be safe... I'm not even sure what I'm saying is making sense. lol! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

scrapsandsass likes this.
  2. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I've only ever made a Blurb book in Lightroom's book module. I used the full bleed template there, but then adjusted the padding (I used this post for guidance) to help with the margins. I've printed books of just photos at full bleed without margins, but the cutoff didn't really matter for those. For something like PL where text can be really close to the edges, I think you'll definitely want some padding.

enjoyyourpix and scrapsandsass like this.
  3. katell

katell CT - Sara Gleason

i reduce at 96 or 98% my layouts on blurb (on the left ) ... and it's ok!

4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I've learned never to have my journaling or anything important right to the edge and it's surprised me that many templates here are set up that way. Early on I made sure I had a slight border or good stroke around the outside of PL pages to deal with bleed.

If you want a specific action to add the bleed to your pages, WendyZine has some that have proved reliable to me. There are specific Blurb actions depending on the specific size of the book though my only Blurb book had a very large white border for photos, not layouts.

5. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I've ordered Blurb books before and have left a white border around the edges, that way I don't have to worry about anything being cut off.

enjoyyourpix and scrapsandsass like this.
  6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have done 12 x 12 books with blurb and 8x10 books and they come out great.. I just make sure the background is in the bleed area ... they are fantastic. I had one issue with a book - it came with a creased page.. they reprinted and sent to me and I did not need to send the other back.. It was a wedding book for my friend I have known since I was 4... I ended up being able to give the creased page book to her sister after getting the reprint .. Their customer service at Blurb is excellent too!! (The crease was on one page and it did not interfere with the photo so it was great I had 2 then!!)

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Yeah, I use Blurb a lot and they definitely cut off a little bit around the edges. I keep it in mind while I'm scrapping and usually avoid putting stuff right at the edge. But every book I make usually has something (usually unimportant at least) cut off because I forgot to notice it was dangerously close to the edge.

Other than that I'm very happy with Blurb though! Since around 2008.

cfile and enjoyyourpix like this.
  8. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I have used Blurb and had the white border because I thought about the cut off too late. And now that I'm working on another book, I'm most probably going to go the same way. I don't like my layouts being cut off at the wrong places, I need it to be just the same thing I created it. ;)
    However, double spreads will not work nicely with the white border. Something to remember.

cfile likes this.
  9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Right @berniek For a double speed the two inside sides have to be extended a bit but NOT with white. Plus of course, you don't want important parts of an image etc hard to see in the crease of the book. In all my printed books, I've never done a double spread but then I almost never do.