Black Friday | Pad Patter 11.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Nov 19, 2023.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm honestly not sure why it's even called Black Friday anymore. It seems like there have been Black Friday sales going on for weeks! I keep seeing some good deals on things, but still wondering if better is coming lol, so I've held off. I was talking to my hair dresser the other day about how Black Friday is not a sport like it used to be. I have friends who would spend days making lists and maps and strategically planning how they would spend the day. I've never been a big Black Friday shopper. I've been a few times for very specific things, but other than that, I'm more a Cyber Monday gal lol.

Are you planning any Black Friday shopping?
    Do you go out and brave the crowds?
    Do you have your eye on anything specific this year?

I am looking for the best deal I can get on an Instant Pot for my daughter. It's the only thing she's asked for.

umyesh likes this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I’ve never been a Black Friday shopper. I think I went out once at 10 am to get some specific clothes I wanted that never go on sale but that’s it.

I’ve been shopping all the sales online already. My daughter wants a bunch of beauty supplies and they’re on sale today so I’m buying them. Fingers crossed they don’t get cheaper before Christmas or I’ll be kicking myself for buying too early!

3. IntenseMagic

That's where I'm stuck lol I keep seeing some great deals and I'm scared to pull the trigger because what if they go lower haha. But then, what if they don't and I kick myself for not buying now :giggle

umyesh likes this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Nope, I'm not much of a shopper generally and I've pretty much always avoided shopping the day after Thanksgiving.

I'm just giving my kids little things this year. We purchased their "big gifts" several months ago, participation in an event for one of their favorite podcasts and tickets to Katsucon in February.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Never been a Black Friday shopper although one year I did go out in the afternoon to see if Office Depot or Max (don't remember which one) had an Epson Picturemate Photo Printer (the silver one with a handle) that was BF sale item. They did and I got it. That would have been before 2008 because I was still paper scrapping when I got it.

These days if I'm interested in something I'll see if I can find it online. This year there is nothing I want that I can get at a Black Friday sale.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I was just talking about this very topic this weekend. I was saying that I've barely even seen any black friday ads so far this year and it seems like once things went online, they started having "early" black friday deals on November 1st and it was overwhelming and annoying. I haven't really felt that this year which is nice.

I used to go out every single year with my Mother-in-Law and we'd get up at terrible awful early hours to hit all the stores on our list. I would save a ton of money, but I'd also buy stuff I hadn't intended to because I'd see other great deals too. We'd always go to the same place around 9:00am and have cheeseburgers because by then we were ready for lunch. :giggle

I have a couple of things in carts online and I'm waiting to see if they have any deals next week before I pull the trigger too. With Amazon though, I feel like it's playing the stock market. Some stuff changes prices every hour it seems. And I swear that sometimes the stuff I put in my cart will just keep going up and up the closer it gets to Christmas and Black Friday doesn't seem to even matter.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

That sounds like a super cool gift!!
    I'm an avoider of all crowds kinda gal lol I'm not much of a shopper either.

michelepixels likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

I went to Walmart specifically for a tv once, and the only other times I've been are when we've been at the beach and I hit up the outlets. We drove in with me saying that if we find a parking space in the first pass we'll stay, if not we're out.

9. IntenseMagic

Yep, I've done the same. I've loaded up my carts and I'm waiting to see how prices change. I really need to turn off my Alexa notifications though, because several times a day I get messages about stuff in my cart changing prices lol. I've watched a couple of things on Amazon go way up in price and then go "on sale". It's kind of frustrating. I guess I'll commit at some point :giggle

Karen likes this.
  10. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

A friend and I use to hit the stores early on Black Friday. Years ago when they opened at 6AM. Rarely bought anything, but just enjoyed the chaos, lol! Afterwards we'd go get breakfast.

I've bought a few Christmas gifts on sale, but right now I'm waiting for wish lists from the GK ...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  11. estir_bune

estir_bune No, it's snot

Pretty much the only Black Friday we do - is grocery shop... Friday is usually our big grocery day - so we go in the evening. Last year I ventured out to Target in the late afternoon, and it was fairly quiet - most of the hubbub was over, but they still had sales all throughout the store. It was actually an easy shopping trip - and I was prepared for chaos.

12. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I'm not a big shopper so going into stores for Black Friday just doesn't appeal to me at all. That being said, I purchased a new desktop online with an early Black Friday discount so that's my shopping done!

13. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I actually love that the sales have been going on for weeks, I've managed to pick some things up that I needed (not gifts) for much cheaper! ... though I haven't given holiday shopping much thought!

14. CathQuillScrap

CathQuillScrap I suspect foul play...

Black Friday is now a whole month long in South Africa... this is since covid so as to avoid the huge crowds on the day. People went nuts one year breaking shop doors down as there was such a crush (the shop had opened at midnight!). I hate the crowds so will avoid the sales.

Also sales here are only like 20% off... nothing like I've seen online where it's 50% or more off.

I am planning on doing a cyber Monday purchase though.. getting my photo books prepped to be printed.

15. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Nope. No Thanks!

Nope. No Thanks!

Not yet. I need to get a list from my kids. lol!

I did go Black Friday shopping one year when visiting my SIL in Virginia. At a Walmart. As you can imagine, that was a bit over the top and I will never go again, haha!

16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Nope, nothing I absolutely need and I do a lot of second hand shopping as my first port of call so Black Friday isn't really a thing when it comes to that
    Nope, I try and avoid the malls and big box stores as much as possible until after the new year
    Not really anything big, I have a few things but I'll pick them up gradually as I find them at second hand stores or just add them to my wishlists online (I do have a number of cookbooks wishlisted but until I leave home I don't need them as such so they just sit there)