Black Friday Anxeity?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Nov 24, 2020.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Does anyone else feel a sense of panic when it comes to Black Friday sales? Because I am. LOL!!! It's not so much what's in the stores at the mall, but all the online stores that will have specials that I don't want to miss. So, am I alone in this?

2. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I totally get overwhelmed with Black Friday sales online and not wanting to miss anything!! I keep seeing early Black Friday deals and thinking...hmmmm do I pull the trigger or will it go lower :giggle. So no, you are definitely not alone!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

We don't get the same amount of great deals here in Canada so it's more manageable. I haven't seen anything yet that I feel I can't pass up.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I could definitely see how it could be anxiety producing, but I commonly see sale prices re-offered or they aren't actually materially better than sales on other days leading up to Christmas. Most retailers recognize that buying behavior is different this year and are varying their strategies so everything isn't concentrated on one day (I definitely noticed this on Amazon Prime day in October - the deals weren't really extraordinary). I also think that most retailers realize that their sales are going to suffer due to the economic decline caused by COVID which equates to more affordability in general.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I actually have never been a Black Friday shopper. I used to work at Bath and Body Works and even though I was exhausted by the time my shift was over I have to say it was one of my favorite days to work!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i think it's the amount of emails, there's like so many this week, or maybe i've just signed up to lots more online shops this year and now they're all sending out teaser emails

littlekiwi and QuiltyMom like this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Stuff like this always get my anxiety flowing. So, I usually ignore it all. Big sales, lots of push, and conversations - it pushes me the wrong way. (Even happens around here during the big sales). I tend to retreat.

Memaw2Wm and QuiltyMom like this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Never have been a BF shopper. Years ago I did go to the city nearest me in the afternoon to see if something I wanted was still available. It was. 11 years ago I found a luggage set on JC Penney website on Thanksgiving for BF price. I ordered it and it arrived on Saturday.

These days I will look if there is something I have been wanting to see how low the prices go. And, I don't shop at a lot of places online. Amazon is about it with the free shipping. I do have something on my Amazon wish list that I will check the price on Thursday and Friday.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. QuiltyMom

Most of the places I want to shop at are small businesses that I'd need to purchase from online (I'm kinda done ordering through Amazon). I've been jumping into historical costuming since Covid arrived which means I can get the supplies from stores that only have a sale once a year, that being Black Friday. But first I need to figure out what I need rather than want ... ha!

Oh, goodness! That day must've been insane! I was in a store yesterday getting a GC for my sister and they already had their BF sale going. People were purchasing BAGS of items! I guess it's a great time to get their stuff.

And it's those teaser emails that are getting me all worked up! lol!!! I love pretty things, especially when those pretty things are fabric... or yarn... or patterns... Yes, I'm hopeless!

Thankfully I have 70% of my Christmas shopping already done. I just need to purchase for my husband and son and a few gift cards to send to my sister and her family, then I can spend time enjoying the season rather than shopping.

10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Full disclosure: I hate BF in the best of times, so I rarely brave the in-store sales during non-pandemic years. Leaving my house definitely isn't happening this year. But I also shop throughout the year, so I never feel like I "have" to go out on BF. Like @Sokee I used to work retail. Once I quit, I promised never to be a part of the craziness again. We did shop on BF in Amsterdam last year, which we didn't think would be "Black Friday," but many stores had sales like in the US. When people heard us talking, they asked if we were from the US and then peppered us with questions about "the real Black Friday" lol!

Anyway, I think I'm done Christmas shopping so no anxiety for me. So many sites had early sales...maybe I just lucked out with what I needed (well, wanted) to buy? My issue will be staying away from online stores* from now on lol. A few weeks ago I told DH "I'm done Christmas shopping!" ... and then proceeded to buy a couple more things lol. :shrug #sorrynotsorry

*The exception is, of course, DS. I'm very excited about picking up new DS goodies on Friday!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I get the anxiety during black friday and amazon prime days. There's just too much and I get overwhelmed. I've been trying to shift through ads to find good deals on the things I want to buy. I'm kicking myself because I'm usually done with shopping by now, but with our remodel I haven't done much Christmas shopping. My younger DD took over the older DD's pc laptop while she was on her mission and now she wants a macbook air, so I'm trying to find a good deal on that which is probably not going to be easy because apple doesn't discount their stuff very often.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  12. QuiltyMom

Isn't that always the case??

Tree City likes this.
  13. CaroB71

CaroB71 Why, yes, I DO know the answer!

Black Friday is not that big here and I’ve actually never bought anything on a Black Friday sale. But this year I have a list of a few small business I want to check for deals on specific items I’m looking for.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  14. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I generally ignore them. I ignore advertising as much as possible all year around. That way I don't get anxious. (except the Lilypad of course)

My parents taught me that unless it was something I was going to buy anyway then it's not a bargain at all. So the only things we would look in a sale for would be the things we need to get around that time and just waited a bit before buying in case it got reduced in the sales. Hubby does that, as he find shopping relaxing - I don't I find it stressful. So it's a great partnership.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  15. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

Lately, the deals start before Black Friday and continue on through Christmas, so I feel like if I don't get this deal, I'll get the next one in a couple of days.

Traditionally, my husband and I leave the kids at Grandma's house for the weekend and do all of our Christmas shopping Thanksgiving weekend. We end up with a few odds and ends for December, but the bulk of it (and all the "big" presents) are finished up and put away over the weekend. I don't know what we're doing this year though. The sales over the past couple of years have been not very good and I don't have my normal excitement over the holidays this year.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Like some have said Black Friday isn’t a huge thing here either but like @bellbird I’m also overwhelmed with Black Friday emails that truthfully started a week ago it feels like. I take very little notice of them mainly cause apart from scrappy spending I don’t participate really - don’t want to face crowds and don’t want to deal with the useless courier delivery drivers around here plus I usually have next to no money. I have bought one item this week from a small business that I wanted but apart from that haven’t spent anything mainly cause we could be faced with two $400 insurance deductible payments if the insurance company doesn’t accept that while there’s two police reports it’s one big claim.

bellbird and QuiltyMom like this.
  17. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I just only let myself open emails if they are from stores I'm actively watching for something to go on sale from. Way too much temptation. I'm always looking for a sale or coupon & now even more so since COVID & I'm basically a SAHM now & not working. So I try to have the PERSON in my head that I need something for & less about everything else that I could possibly want THAT I DO NOT NEED.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  18. QuiltyMom

I was able to get the "traditional" gifts I purchase from Target earlier this week (mostly DVDs). I must admit it was nice not having to get up at the crack of dawn to get to the store for them this year.

I sure hope that the insurance company comes through for you. Always remember that you can disagree and challenge their findings if you're not happy with what they come up with. Hugs to you!!

Oh, the temptation is there, isn't it? It's so easy to think "just one more thing." I am getting used to deciphering which stores have continual sales from those that have one or two a year, so that helps. But since I'm starting to get into historical costuming those stores/suppliers rarely have sales. Those are the ones I'm trying not to miss!

19. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm not a Black Friday shopper either, not even online. I get what I need (LOL want) when I need it and try to shop for the kids along the way. I used to think I would buy on Prime Day, but I get too overwhelmed and rarely see anything that I can't live without.

Most of my family are BF crazies, however! This year, besides being the year that we all want to forget, we live in the middle of nowhere. We all even forgot it was Black Friday today. It was the strangest feeling - my dd and gd and I were standing on my front porch and I said something about it and we all started laughing because we totally forgot about it. The closest stores of much consequence are over an hour away, not like they're right around the corner. We used to have big shopping malls 10 minutes away.

20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I definitely felt that way this year for sure. It was too much and too overwhelming so I pretty much did nothing. :giggle I figure this year the sales are going to continue right up until Christmas Day and beyond, so I didn't worry about it too much.