Birth Year | Pad Patter 10.25

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Oct 25, 2020.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

My birthday is coming up next week, Election Day this year actually :giggle. I love to look up facts about the year I was born to see how much has changed in all those many years I've been alive. I was looking at a few sites today and found this (I linked it to the site where I found it):

Capture.JPG

Cracks me up that I'm the same age as Astroturf :giggle, and how about that last bit - Barbie coming with a diet book and a scale :faint2.

Some other fun facts about 1965:
    • When McDonalds first became a publicly traded company in 1965, many Wall Street brokers were wary as they had never heard of it.
    • US Senator John McCain won Jeopardy in 1965.
    • Gatorade was created and named in 1965 by scientists at the University of Florida at the request of the head coach of the football team. When the Gators won the Orange Bowl, the opposing coach said about the loss, "We didn't have Gatorade. That made the difference."
    • January 1, 1965, Soupy Sales, a popular wacky children's show host, told his young listeners to rob their parents while they slept, and send him the dollar bills they found.
    • Bonanza was the biggest TV show
    And lots of other really interesting stuff! My, how the world has changed...mostly in good ways!

Any fun facts about the year you were born? If you don't want to share your age, you can be more general :giggle.

Karen likes this.
  2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Really fun stuff...I'm 1944 ...yes, that long ago...and the one that tickled me refers to one of my favorite bands

"The term Foo Fighter was used by Allied aircraft pilots in World War II to describe various UFO's or mysterious aerial phenomena seen in the skies over both the European and Pacific Theater of Operations." :lmao

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I'm probably one of the younger ones here being an 80's gal...1987 History Snapshot
    • Politics: R. Budd Dwyer, Treasurer for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, shot and killed himself at a live press conference.
    • The Top Song was Faith by George Michael
    • The Big Movies included Three Men and a Baby, Fatal Attraction and Beverly Hills Cop II
    • Price of Dawn dish detergent, 22 oz in 1987: $1.29
      Strawberries: $1.49/pint
      Campbell's Soup, 10.6 oz: 99 cents
    • The World Population was ~ 4,986,000,000
    • Legend of Zelda was released for the NES in 1987.
    • 1 once of gold value: $486.50
    • And... WGN and WTTW broadcasts were interrupted by the transmission of a Max Headroom impersonator for several minutes. Facing a maximum $10,000 fine, up to a year in prison, or both, the perps were never caught.
    Number 1 song in the fortnight I was born June 27, 1987 - July 10, 1987: Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I didn't know we share the same birthday!!! I have already made my birthday wish !! :yesss:nod
    I would have guessed you 10 years younger- seriously! So Happy Birthday to you!!!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

:giggle
    I love the Foo Fighters, too!! I never knew that!!

6. IntenseMagic

I knew someone would make me feel old lol
    I was in college in 1987 and remember all of this very well! Fun to take a peek back!!

7. IntenseMagic

Birthday twin!!
    And thanks so much! Happy Birthday to you as well!!

AJK likes this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'll be 49 next month. :D

1971 History Snapshot
    • Politics: The Twenty-sixth Amendment to the US Constitution prohibits the government from denying the right of United States citizens, eighteen years of age or older, to vote on account of age.
    • The Top Song was Joy To The World by Three Dog Night
    • The Big Movies included Billy Jack, Fiddler on the Roof and The Last Picture Show
    • Price of a postage stamp in 1971: 8 cents
      Chiquita Bananas, 1 pound in 1972: 12 cents
    • The World Population was ~ 3,724,000,000
    • "Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down" - the Weeble Toys were released.
    • And... 1971's The French Connection famous car chase was filmed without obtaining the proper permits from the city.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

Awwww memories from my childhood!! I can remember listening to Joy to the World in the car with my mom and I loved my Weebles!!!

michelepixels likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Just turned 65 the beginning of this month so 1955 is my year:

1955 65 Years Ago | History Snapshot
    • Dept. of Defense: The Boeing B-52 Stratofortress bomber has been in continuous service April 1955 and with upgrades are expected to remain in service until at least 2040. (Fun fact: 58 still in service in 2019)
    • Influential Songs include April in Paris by Count Basie and Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White by Perez Prado
    • The Big Movies included Lady and the Tramp, To Catch a Thief and Cinerama Holiday
    • Price of 1 pound of Fish (cod) steaks in 1955: 29 cents
      McDonald's Cheeseburger: 19 cents
    • The World Population was ~ 2,184,000,000
    • TV Remote was invented by Eugene Polley
    • The TV Remote Control and Microwave Oven were introduced in 1955.
    • And... The guitar (Gibson ES-345 ) Marty McFly played in 1955 in Back to the Future wasn't created until 1958
    Interesting to note that the current populations of these countries are very close to what the world population was 65 years ago: China, USA, Brazil, Russia, Italy.

My dad was happy I was born in the early morning... he got to stay home and watch the World Series that afternoon (no night games in those days). The Brooklyn Dodgers were the eventual champions.

My dad's favorite NFL team had won the championship earlier that year... Cleveland Browns.
    Ohio State had won the Rose Bowl game on January 1st over USC.

Velcro was invented in 1955.
    Cigarettes were sold in vending machines that only accepted quarters. A pack cost 23 cents. Cigarette companies included 2 pennies in each package instead of raising the price to a quarter.
    Marlboro changed the marketing of their cigarettes from "premium ladies cigarettes" to target men and the "Marlboro Man" was born. Sales increased over 3000% in one year.

Rosa Parks refused to give her bus seat to a white man in Montgomery, Alabama on December 1, 1955. This event of peaceful protest was a catalyst for the civil rights movement in the United States.

Disneyland opened July 17, 1955 (although it isn't listed on that website).

And, Famous Quote that year...

"Now it's time to say good-bye to all our company, / M-I-C...
    Jimmie: See you real soon.
    Mouseketeers: K-E-Y...
    Jimmie: Why? Because we like you!
    Mouseketeers: M-O-U-S-E!" - Mickey Mouse Club

IntenseMagic and Memaw2Wm like this.
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

1961 EVENTS & FACTS

What Happened in 1961?
    MAJOR EVENTS:
    • Outgoing President Eisenhower issues warning of a "military industrial complex" developing in America
    • President Kennedy establishes Peace Corps
    • Cuban exiles fail in their bid to invade Cuba through the Bay of Pigs; President Kennedy accepts responsibility
    • Soviets build wall dividing East and West Berlin
    • Nazi leader Adolf Eichmann tried in Israel, found guilty
    • "Freedom Riders" travel throughout the South to test and promote integration measures; many are assaulted and beaten
    SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY:
    • Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin becomes first human in space during a single-orbit flight
    • Commander Alan Shephard Jr. becomes first American in space in a suborbital flight aboard Mercury 3; Virgil Grissom follows in similar fashion two months later
    • Soviet space probe Venera 1 becomes the first man-made vehicle to reach another planet when it arrives at Venus
    • First lasers developed
    • Anthropologists Louis and Mary Leakey discoverHomo habilisin the Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania
    SPORTS:
    • World Series:New York Yankees over Cincinnati, 4-1
    • Ty Cobb dies
    ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT:
    • Movies:West Side Story, The Hustler, Judgment at Nuremburg
    • Songs:Moon River, Where the Boys Are, Will You Love Me Tomorrow, Blue Moon, The Lion Sleeps Tonight
    • TV Shows:Bullwinkle, Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color, Hazel, Dick Van Dyke Show, Top Cat
    • Books:Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein;Catch-22, Joseph Heller;The Carpetbaggers, Harold Robbins;The Making of the President: 1960, Theodore White;The Agony and the Ecstasy, Irving Stone;The Winter of Our Discontent, John Steinbeck
    • Henry Miller’s 1934 novel Tropic of Cancer published legally in the U.S. for the first time
    • Ernest Hemmingway dies of a self-inflicted gunshot wound
    • Gary Cooper dies
    EVERYDAY LIFE:
    • Electric toothbrushes introduced
    • "Frito" corn chips appear
    • Average Cost of a new car $2,850
    FUN FACTS:
    • "Barbie" gets a boyfriend when the "Ken" doll is introduced
    • The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) started
    • George Clooney was born

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I LOVED Weebles. My youngest sister was born in '71 and my kids in '73 and '75. I bought lots of Weebles for the three of them. All three had a bad habit of leaving them in mom's kitchen to step and slip on. Oops!

1953 baby here ... and from the pop culture section:

"The Coppertone Girl was introduced to the American public. It is probably the most famous 'butt crack' of all time."

Coppertone.JPG

Along with

"The "Air Force One" call sign was created after a 1953 incident during which a Lockheed Constellation named Columbine II, carrying President Dwight D. Eisenhower, entered the same airspace as a commercial airline flight using the same call sign."

"The word "frenemies" dates as far back as 1953, when it appeared in print referring to US/Soviet relations."

"The first issue of Playboy in December 1953 was undated, because Hugh Hefner was not sure if there would be a second issue."

"The first issue of Playboy in December 1953 was undated, because Hugh Hefner was not sure if there would be a second issue."

"Swanson had 260 tons of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and didn't know how to get rid of it. They asked their workers for ideas, and one man thought they should package it in individual trays with sides and freeze it. The TV dinner was born."

"Ore-Ida offered 'Tater Tots' in grocery stores. There were simply pressed leftovers from their french fry line."

IntenseMagic and HavaDrPepper like this.
  13. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Ditto to HavaDrPepper's post! I'm another 1955 baby.

IntenseMagic and HavaDrPepper like this.
  14. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Some big stuff in 1980!
    • Mount St. Helens erupts in Washington state.
    • John Lennon is shot and dies.
    • The popular video arcade game "Pac-Man" is released.
    • Ronald Reagan is elected as the President of the United States.
    • The United States boycotts the 1980 Olympics in Moscow.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Now you are taking me back! So that's how TV dinners started? We never really had them as kids- because we had State regs in the children's home, but after we married we did! I couldn't cook my way out of a paper bag back then!
    And Tots are still around- and still popular. LOL!