Big Photo Layout Question

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by mocamom, Jan 13, 2023.

1. mocamom

mocamom Runs on coffee. And with scissors.

Okay y'all, how in the world do some people get a photo to cover an entire 12x12 page? Day 9 has a travel related photo and so many people can get their photo to stretch over the entire page. No matter if I use my phone or my big girl camera (Canon 6d Mark IV), I can only get a partial coverage. What am I missing? Please help as this is my favorite look and I so badly want to accomplish it. Here are some examples of what I mean:

by @ninigoesdigi
    [​IMG]

by @designbylime
    [​IMG]

by @dbregant
    [​IMG]

See what I mean? Mine verticals stretch from top to bottom, but not left to right. And my horizontals stretch from left to right, but not top to bottom. Go figure! Thanks for any assistance y'all can give me :)

G.J. and umyesh like this.
  2. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I always fit the shortest edge to the page and crop the rest. Is that what you're asking? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

G.J. likes this.
  3. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Do you drag & drop from Windows folder to PS? It creates a smart object that fits the canvas. Try opening the photo in PS and then put it on the 12x12 canvas.

bestcee and cfile like this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I'm thinking it is the resolution that your photos are taken at.

For example, my Rebel T5 is set to take photos with a pixel size of 5184 x 3456.
    My Canon PS SX740 is set to take photos with a pixel size of 5184x3888.
    A 12x12 layout is 3600x3600 pixels. So my photos from the T5 don't entirely cover the whole space where my photos from the SX740 does.

And, I could be entirely wrong about what you are asking.

5. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@mocamom

Your photo will actually hang off the edges of the canvas unless you've specifically taken the photo as a square or cropped the photo to a square shape.

For instance, this is a horizontal photo. I've resized it to fill the canvas but there are portions not covered on the top or bottom. I think this is what you are experiencing, yes?

Screenshot 2023-01-13 164536.jpg

I can continue to resize it so it fills the entire canvas, but portions of my photo on the left and right will be off the canvas.

Screenshot 2023-01-13 164630.jpg

G.J. and cfile like this.
  6. mocamom

Thanks for your help!! Monica (@umyesh), when I place my photo on the page, it looks like Cheryl's first example. My resolution of my cell phone pictures is roughly 4032x3024 but much larger from my Canon @HavaDrPepper. I tried opening the photo, Cindy, (@cinderella) and that worked great, but it still cropped it when I put it on my 12x12. Cheryl (@gonewiththewind) I absolutely can extend it (didn't think of that)! Can I assume since my shortest edge is less than 3600 pixels on my cell phone, it will be blurry - but my Canon photos will be okay?

Angela Toucan and umyesh like this.
  7. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

If a photo is smaller than 3600 it might get a bit pixly. If it doesn't look ok, but I still want to have the photo fill the page, I try and bland it into the paper. Probably sent the bland mode to Multiply, lower the opacity a bit, and finally give it a slight blur.

But I've never printed a layout, not sure if it will look bad then.

mocamom and cfile like this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

If you have a canvas like Cheryl shows and place your photos on it, you will see that your cell phone photo will extend past the edges of the scrapping portion but have space since it is about 500 pixels less. My cell phone is the same and it always is taller (if portrait) than the scrapping canvas. Personally I never enlarge a photo unless I'm using the AI function of Paint Shop Pro because it does become more pixelated by just using my pick tool to resize.

mocamom likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

@mocamom

My Google Pixel phone saves my photos as RAW so I can use them without any discernable difference to my eye. I also process photo edits in Lightroom and when I export, I save so that the longest edge is 3600 pixels. And finally, when I pull in photos, I have them automatically pull in as smart objects, so I can resize as necessary.

mocamom, cfile and G.J. like this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

If you use place embed in PS it will bring your image in as a smart object.. as a smart object you can enlarge with very little distortion.. File>place embed

mocamom likes this.
  11. ninigoesdigi

ninigoesdigi Designer

I had to extend my photo yes and it gets cut as it is a rectangle and not a square but I'm fine with that. I keep only what I need from that. I open in Photoshop too and simply move it with my mouse to my canvas (might try that embed thingy) , then resize with the corner handle (so that it doesn't get wonky). Cheryl showed it perfectly.

12. gonewiththewind

@cfile @ninigoesdigi @mocamom

I automatically have Photoshop bring in all my files as smart objects, including my photos, since I drag and drop onto my layout canvas.

So if you don't want to think about going to File > Place, then try this:

From the main menu bar at the top, choose EDIT > PREFERENCES > GENERAL and then choose ALWAYS CREATE SMART OBJECTS WHEN PLACING.

Screenshot 2023-01-13 231315.jpg

wvsandy, amien1, mocamom and 2 others like this.
  13. ninigoesdigi

ninigoesdigi Designer

Thank you. I opened PS right away to change and it was already like this but I never knew to llok at those boxes lol

14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I too already have my preference set to Always create the smart object when placing.. I did see that I have two settings different than yours though. I don't have the "SKIP TRANSFORM WHEN PLACING" selected and I have my "Auto show the HOME Screen" checked.

Thanks Cheryl for letting me know!

mocamom and gonewiththewind like this.
  15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't use Smart Objects because I hate having to rasterize things. But I think the problem you are actually having is the setting above Smart Objects - Resize Image. My video below shows the difference with that setting on and off. The photo in the video is a DSLR photo, 6000x4000 pixels on a 3600 x 3600 canvas.

FittoSize.JPG

gonewiththewind and ninigoesdigi like this.
  16. mocamom

Thank y'all so much for replying and trying to help me!! For some reason I missed that more people helped so I apologize for not thanking you @tanteva, @HavaDrPepper, @gonewiththewind, @ninigoesdigi, @cfile, and @bestcee. Courtney I do have a question for you. First of all that video was PERFECT for a visual learner like me, and everything worked like you showed it once I clicked that button in settings. It even fixed the issue I was having with bringing in 12x12 papers into my 8.5x11 layout. BUT, my pictures are crazy extended past the 12x12 edges - even when I know my resolution is something like 3024x4032. How do I know that the photo won't be pixalated when I print it if it comes in too big for the resolution I think it should be? OH, and your workaround by opening it by itself in PS and then copying it to my layout was absolutely perfect. That kept the true resolution size! PS is so weird! Example.JPG

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    ninigoesdigi and gonewiththewind like this.
  17. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

18. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

kisses for Bart