Better way to search in the store?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Aug 16, 2019.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I need to know if there's a better way to search for kits in the store without getting a lot of extraneous options.

For instance, I'm looking for a US Navy kit. I put in "navy" and got every kit that has navy for a color.
    I enter SHIP and get everything from shiplap to friendship.

I've tried putting quotes around the word and choosing the "exact phrase" option in the advance search, but I still get the same results.

Am I missing a better way to search, or is this just the way it is? Thanks!

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

How about synonyms? "Water" for "navy." "Boat" for "ship." Or "coast," "marine," or "service" or "Forces"?

Part of the issue may be what designers have set for their metadata. If they don't have "boat" in their description or metadata, then it isn't going to show up in your results. :( Another issue may be copyright/trademark. The US Navy has some trademarks and some phrases are actually TM of a watchmaker.

3. QuiltyMom

@Tree City I just used "navy" 'cause I figured US Navy wouldn't work. I figured it wouldn't be an easy answer. It's just hard to sort through 15 pages of hits every time. I'm being lazy! lol!

I'm trying to find something that would work for a scout overnighter on a battleship in Baltimore harbor. Nothing yet...

AJK likes this.
  4. Tree City

What about searching for Maryland or Baltimore? Wait, does @Scrapping with Liz have a Maryland set???
    You could at least have a background that focuses on the place, like with this map paper by Paula:
    [​IMG]
    (BTW, I'm now gonna pick these up for myself...so thanks for enabling me rofl!)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. QuiltyMom

Glad to have helped! lol!!!

I'll check that out!

In the meantime I did see this by Kristin Aagard. It maybe a bit too cutesy for Boy Scouts, but it could work!

[​IMG]

Tree City likes this.
  6. Tree City

Ooh, the WA will be great! The cute animals might not work, but the papers and accents (flowers, etc) will. And look at that anchor!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. QuiltyMom

9. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Good question, I have that 'ship' gives friendship etc problem often, can't think of an example now (of course, great job as always, brain)
    -also I don't know what SKU stands for when I do an advanced search, anyone know?

Am on phone & can't really help in this case of Navy, I tried searching for 'nautical ' & got 95 results with lots of layer styles on the front results page so I don't think that would work for you either _I'll have another look when I get back to laptop

QuiltyMom likes this.
  10. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

SKU is usually something like a product code. I'm not sure if it is re-purposed in the Lilypad store or not.

bellbird likes this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

SKU stands for stock keeping unit and usually is a machine-readable bar code. You would be more familiar with them on product labels of items you purchase at a store. It also makes it easy to do an inventory on items if the accounting system/or store in the case of TLP is set up for it. Depending on the type of business SKU's can be all numbers, all letters or any combination of numbers/letters.

@QuiltyMom, I feel your pain in searching. I never have any luck finding things either.

bellbird likes this.
  12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Not yet, but it could be next on my list.

QuiltyMom and Tree City like this.
  13. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

I wish that I could do searches just within a designer. I’ve tried, but even when I’m in a specific designer’s shop and try to search the search goes to the entire TLP store. Very frustrating.

14. Tree City

Hmm. Do you choose the Advanced Search option?

15. SharLamb

Yes, Sara...same thing in Advance Search ....unless I'm missing something.

16. Tree City

Even when you select the designer you want from the drop-down menu? That's odd. Like, when you select a designer it doesn't stay selected? Hmm, maybe your browser is the issue? I've never had that problem on TLP running FF, and I love the ability to search by designer. I also love being able to select a specific category.

bestcee likes this.
  17. SharLamb

Maybe I am doing wrong. Not at my computer right now so cannot check. I’ll try this afternoon.

18. SharLamb

Well I don't get it. Today my search stayed within the boundary of the designer. Go figure. Happy to see that. Love when things "fix" themselves. LOL

19. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I searched for "nautical" and here are a couple that might work for your page:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Tree City

Yay! It's great when technology wants to prove us crazy. :giggle Glad it seems to have figured itself out. Have fun in the store!