Best - Affordable Laptops for Digiscrapping?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by grrfluudy, Mar 9, 2016.

1. grrfluudy

grrfluudy This? Oh it's just my million dollar pen.

I am looking for a laptop that I can digiscrap on and take to my boyfriend's house. I tried to search for 'best laptops for digiscrapping' and I only got one hit. So, I'm asking my 'Pad friends. I only have $350-400 at the very most to spend. I don't mind referbished, but I'd like new if possible. I use Craft Artist 2.
    I'm just not sure how fast of a processor (quadcore? Gigaherz? WUT?) I need, how much RAM and flash memory (I think it's called) Optical Drive? Graphics Card?
    ACK! Help please!!

2. Neverland Scraps

Neverland Scraps Always trust, never doubt

I'm in this same boat. I love my computer, but when we go places I can't take it with me and I'm left digi-less. I've been looking for a few months, but honestly I had no idea where to begin because if I'm going to invest in something, it has to be near or better than my current computer, which is pretty snazzy!

Good luck to you and I'm following this thread for recommendations!!

grrfluudy likes this.
  3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I don't have any suggestions either as I'm a desktop user now. I had a laptop, which was an HP that my son is now using for watching YouTube videos and playing Minecraft. It had gotten very sluggish.

We bought Olivia a laptop/tablet last year for graduation. It's an HP Spectre x360. So she can use it as a laptop or turn it so that it's a tablet. It's about $800? Or $900? I don't know, over your budget. But it runs all Creative Cloud stuff without a problem. I think what I'm trying to say is don't discount the laptop/tablet options . . .

Good luck finding something!

grrfluudy likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have a laptop. It's HP, and about 2 years old. It's a little finicky, and half the USB ports aren't working. Grr! I bought a gaming computer because my laptop is currently my only computer. We are building a desktop soon, and this laptop will be just out and about.

The biggest thing to look at is what is your purpose for the laptop? If you are just looking for something to use when you are out and about you are looking at different needs than if you are using it as your primary computer.

Check to see how much RAM Craft Artist requires. It should be pretty easy to find. I'm successfully running PSCC, on 8 GB RAM. If we don't do the desktop in the spring, I'll up my RAM just for some better speed. I also have a 1TB harddrive, but I keep my photos and Scrap Supplies on an external hard drive. I'm using an AMD A10 processor. My spouse's computer is a very similar model, but his is running Intel. I don't notice a difference between the two. We run PSE11 on his computer just fine, and he plays computer games successfully. I don't know if any of that helps, but it might?

5. grrfluudy

Thanks Courtney, It helps, thank you. I think i need to show it to my tech support (aka dad and sister, who know computers but not what DigiScrapping requires). I would be using it as my primary computer, but I find that lately I've been checking my mail and stuff on my kindle rather than my PC. It's annoying on my kindle, though. But I want something that I can have wherever I go, even if that is just the living room! I have a 2 TB external that I have been using to store pics, kits, LOs, but I will use that for backup now. I guess I Will have to check on Craft Artist2, like you said.

bestcee likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@grrfluudy I talked with the people at Best Buy and they recommended an i7 processor for me, which is what I'd figured based on how sluggish my previous laptop, which ran Intel i5, was acting. But IDK what your software needs. I use PS CS3.

I will add that if you can wait a few more months before purchasing, you might save a little money because of back-to-school sales. Or there may just be more options in stock at stores at that time.

grrfluudy likes this.
  7. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I agree with Sara, wait a few months I know when my kids graduated from high school there are a lot of computer sales for those wanting to purchase for collage.
    Sorry I can't help you I use a desk top computer.

grrfluudy likes this.
  8. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I have an HP Envy laptop with i7 processor and at least 1TB of memory. At home, I use it with my brand-new second monitor - a 27" diagonal screen.

grrfluudy likes this.
  9. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Unless you install Craft Artist off of a DVD, an optical drive has nothing to do with scrapping. If you want to be able to play DVDs, then get an optical drive. If you don't, don't.

I just bought a new laptop and I cared most about the size of the screen and weight (because I carry it a lot).

grrfluudy likes this.
  10. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Hi. I have a Dell laptop . It is old now,and the new ones are bound to be even better. But It is ok both graphic card wise and memory wise both for craft artist and Photoshop.
    I am writing this on my kindle,it drives me nuts too.
    Have also heard good things,about Asus transforma. The price is around 400 . But as far as I know it only comes with 2GB memory. Not sure though.
    Remember that Craft Artist does not require a lot of free memory to install,but the minute you start using photo lab and some of the effects it becomes a memory grabber,so you need way more than they tell you.
    Ha e fun.

grrfluudy likes this.
  11. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

Hmmm, I'm not of such help neither, we have a laptop that goes around.
    I told the techies what I needed and they gave it to me. Best to have some people who know about it, to help you out.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    grrfluudy likes this.
  12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I have an Acer Aspire V5. It's about 3 years old now and came with 4GB of RAM. It did ok with scrapping and running PS, but got sluggish after awhile and it was hard to multi-task. I just upgraded to 8GB of RAM and that has made a world of difference. Other than needing the RAM upgrade, I have had no problems with it whatsoever and I bought it new for around $550ish.

grrfluudy likes this.
  13. grrfluudy

Thanks so much, everyone!! I didn't even think of waiting until back to school sales, I don't know if I can hold out that long, but that's a really good idea. You have all given me things to think about and research. I really appreciate it! Of course, if anyone has anything else to add, I still have a lot to consider, so I welcome all I can get! Thanks!!

14. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

You sound like me. :) I'm super impatient (which is why I got a new laptop a few weeks ago rotfl. I just couldn't stand it anymore... and DH couldn't stand listening to me complain any longer!). Hopefully the place you purchase your new one has a price adjustment policy. :)

15. grrfluudy

@Tree City once I decide to do something, I can't be patient at all. Like, if I decide I want bangs when my hair is all one length -- and I can't get to the hair salon until the weekend, I will cut them myself. And no, I can't cut bangs to save my life! Then I have to go to the salon anyway and be like, "FIX IT!! ARGGGG!!" Hopefully if I buy a laptop soon, I won't make a similar mistake. LOL

Tree City likes this.