Backblaze Help

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by bbachand, Nov 22, 2020.

1. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

I have a question for the Backblaze users here. I currently use it too and I have a 4T external hard drive (H Drive) that I suspect is going bad. I bought a new external hard drive that I will be copying everything over to. Do I need to name the new hard drive as the H Drive so that Backblaze recognizes it and doesn't have to back up everything over again on the new drive? I'm not sure if I explained that well but I hope someone here who is more techie than me can help me out. :dizzy

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

When I got a new EHD, BB fully re-downloaded everything. I know you can "inherit" a computer's backup, but I couldn't find a way to do it for an EHD. I just left the EHD plugged in and let BB do its thing. Good news is, your old EHD's files will remain on BB's servers for 30 days...so as long as your new EHD's initial backup doesn't take longer than 30 days, then your files are safely stored in the cloud in case something does happen to both the new and old EHDs.

As far as renaming it: personally, I assign new EHDs a different letter because I'm afraid that using the same letter will mess up BB somehow, but that's just me. There may be info out there, though, that explains how to assign the same letter/inherit the EHD's contents. No matter what, good luck!

3. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

@Tree City Thank you for your help! I'm taking your advice and using the new letter assigned to my new hard drive.