Back to work/school? | pad patter Jan 4, 2021

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by FarrahJobling, Jan 4, 2021.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Oooops....I totally forgot that today is Monday. LOL I'm still in the post Christmas funk. Some students went back to school today...our go back in person next week (and I'll go back to work)...not sure how I feel about that...so soon after a busy travel season.

Anyways....did anyone go back to work today or did your kids go back to school? How did it go?

SeattleSheri likes this.
  2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Well I don’t go anywhere for what I do.....job applications! My last one was December 23rd so I took from then until today off (January 5th as it was a Mondayised public holiday yesterday). I chose to restart today for a number of reasons, while I have no jobs that close this week yet, I’ve got three apps due next week (one that’s super complex) and what will probably be some very busy job boards to check. I regularly sift through up to 50 jobs a day across two job boards as my keyword I search is mentioned whenever an employer talks about equal opportunities...ie: race, gender, sex, disability etc so there’s a lot of non relevant listings for me at least that either aren’t relevant to start with, I’m under/over qualified or experienced for, are really short term, iffy pay or part time. If I don’t keep on top of it then it becomes overwhelming. I’ll then spend time going through any job listings I think could have potential, send off email enquires if I have any questions. By then my up to 50 listings has become maybe 5, more likely 1-2 jobs. Only then will I work on the actual applications. If I have a job interview there’s probably another 3-5 hours of prep especially if I have domestic travel to sort out too. So while I’m not paid to work, I probably spend 1-2 hours a day on job hunting then probably another 5-10 hours a week doing voluntary advocacy online in the disability community and generally staying abreast of the issues there and if it’s during one of my graduate diploma papers I also do about another 10-15 hours a week (I’m on hiatus for that at the moment until March or possibly end of June as I couldn’t afford to do another paper while having limited income)

So I don’t know if that answered the question or it’s just me rambling on in the general direction of the topic.

3. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I'm done with that since an early retirement package deal happened in May. I did take a bit of a break during the holiday season from my cleanout-getreadytomove project -- partly, I think it was because I have taken 2 weeks off for probably the last 15 years and it felt normal not to do much, but in my new reality, all the days are the same. Honestly, I think I'm still adjusting a bit after working for more than 30 years.

4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We went back today, still on hybrid schedule with some fully virtual. PreK-3 are 4 days a week. We are scheduled to go back to 4 days on January 26th. All this even though the numbers are the highest they've ever been. Teachers have been pushing for fully remote, but getting push back from the community and the school board. Our board believes that they are safer at school where we keep them separated and masked, rather than just running around the community. I could go on and on, but it is what it is. The governor of VA has left all decisions up to localities. We are also in the middle of winter sports...basketball is being played.
    WV (where I live, I work in VA) on the other hand, decided to go remote for the next two weeks...the governor made the call. And all winter sports are on hold until March.
    I basically told the kids first thing this morning that I not let up on the masks and be extremely vigilant about everything because I don't know where they've been or who they've been with.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

My husband and daughters went back to work and school today. It was a rough morning as no one wanted to get up and going. My teen said she fell asleep in class when they were watching a video. :giggle

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

We’re baaaaccckkkk!

Boys are back, 5 days, morning in person instruction and afternoon remote instruction. Yay!!!

I never left work... lol! I was off the week in between Christmas and New Year’s, but I’ve been working every day at our office. We don’t have the option to work from home.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Munchkin is back in person tomorrow. They were in-person until mid-October, and the school does really well at keeping them masked - except recess. I was totally unsure about it and worried, but there were less than 5 cases in the school district in the kids. It was the bus drivers and teachers' cases that were too high. This makes me sad, especially since they traced some of the teacher cases to an outside event. :shakehead) Our numbers are half what they were when schools closed in Indiana, so I'm feeling okay about it overall. He has his temperature checked by the bus drivers.

Our middle and high schools are still remote, but K-6 is back in. PK was never remote, and they didn't report any cases. I'm grateful to know that the district is okay sending them back remote if cases spike.

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My boys had a virtual day of school today and go back in person tomorrow with only 50% of the students reporting. We are all thrilled they FINALLY get to go back. They've been home since mid-November. I had one extra day off work today due some software upgrading, so tomorrow is my first day back. But, I'll still be working from home for a little while longer.

9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

The two older kids went back today and my youngest - 9 yo - is going back on Wednesday. He really needs to be back around the other kids! The older ones (15 and 16) haven't suffered as much as he has by not being around his peers.

10. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

My husband went back to work on Saturday, my virtual middle-schooler started today, and my two remote high-schoolers start back up tomorrow. (They were originally hybrid, two days a week in the building, until our governor shut down all Michigan high schools. The current plan is to return to school at the beginning of the second semester, January 19.)

I'll know more tomorrow since that's when the oversleepers have to go back to waking themselves up. LOL

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Guilty! My husband asked why I was up at 8am this morning. I told him it was prep for tomorrow 6:45am...

FarrahJobling likes this.
  12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

We homeschool over but we did get back to a normal routine today! I always enjoy the break but I'm always glad to get back to routine.

13. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Everyone in our HH was back to (our new) normal today, except for my little guy, we all had the last 2 weeks off. I had use-or-lose time I had to burn. Our school district is 100% virtual until we can get our educators and faculty vaccinated, which means my hubby who teaches HS and my older boys are working/schooling from home until further notice. I have been WFH since late February, with no end in sight. While my company has a hub location in my area, almost all of my colleagues that I regularly interact with are in different parts of the country/world, so it doesn't materially matter where I work. I had a SUPER DUPER hard time getting back into work-mode today. I think I had 6 meetings today and the first 3 I was so out of sorts!

I do think it's weird that some districts are choosing to transition to in-person/hybrid instruction right now. It's really interesting timing given that infections, hospitalizations and deaths are at the highest point they've ever been almost everywhere.

14. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Yes, we all went "back" to school today... which meant the kids turning on their Chromebooks in their bedroom and me turning on my MacBook in the back room. :giggle

It actually makes me super-anxious since the three of us are on three different schedules during the day including two different lunch times but it is what it is.

15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Hubby didn't get to take time off for the holidays, so he went to work like he usually does. Olivia is still at home, applying for positions but not having much luck other than some part-time/project work. Daniel went back to in-person school in August, and has stayed there except for a 14 day period when he was sent home because of exposure to another student who tested positive for COVID. He, of course, had winter break, and he went back to school this morning. It was hard to wake him up, and tonight he went to bed 20 minutes before his bedtime, which is unheard of. He was super tired. I'm still struggling with severe fatigue from radiation treatment, but that will end on Friday and I can start bouncing back. It's been hard to be creative when all I want to do is sleep.

Memaw2Wm and FarrahJobling like this.
  16. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

@gonewiththewind I'm so glad to hear your last radiation treatment is on Friday, that's great news!! :heartlub:heartlub

gonewiththewind likes this.
  17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

After being off work for 2 wks it was hard to get back to it today. Add in the fact that today is the first full day at home with Bella, our new 8 wk old aussiedoodle and between work and taking care of the new pup, I’m exhausted. My daughter has tomorrow off work so she’ll be mostly taking care of Bella so I’ll have a slower day tomorrow...whew...I need it.

18. CaroB71

CaroB71 Why, yes, I DO know the answer!

We go back to work next week.
    Our daughter finished school at the end of last year but because of all the covid related issues she’ll only get her final results at the end of Feb so she can only start uni in the second semester. Our son is already back at med school since 2 Jan. They’re doing online work this week and then back into hospital rotations from Monday hopefully.

19. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

OMG yes...my son sleeps until 1 or 2....tomorrow he has to be up by 9am

bestcee likes this.
  20. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Which county do you work in?

I'm in Fairfax County, VA. My live-in 10th grade grandson went back to school on Monday - virtually. He's due to start league basketball next week. First practice is this Friday ... players have to be masked at all times. No spectators at the games ... only the players, coaches, and officials. And only the two playing teams in the gym at a time ... one set has to leave before the other next can come in. Temp checks, hand sanitizer, and other precautions are being taken ... no high-fives for example.

I took a few days off last week and am still digging out of the mess my boss left me, lol! Plus I need to close out 2020 and start 2021 ... end-of-year tax stuff, make 2021 tax folders, start a 2021 file for this years Word documents.