August Accountability!! Put your goals here! GET Fit or FITTER

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

You're awesome Anne!! You can do it! As for the waist - aaarrrggg - that's MY biggest problem, too. It seems that a lot of us that have that problem.

2. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

That's amazing Anne, wow!

I've fallen behind on my yoga but my drinking water streak is still going. I'm extremely frustrated that I always feel hungry after drinking water (which I always do immediately after eating lunch). I would not normally be hungry at this time and after drinking water I basically feel like I'm starving. I thought water was supposed to curb the appetite?! :banghead

3. EllenT

EllenT I live for that hourglass ...

a little update from me. I've been on the Keto way of eating for 2 weeks now and have only lost 2 pounds. Bummer But i'm not hungry and drink lots of water. I'm trying to walk a little more but I guess that's not enough. I did go to the doctor last week for a med check, and he said all my blood work was good. So I will continue to track what I eat and frying up that bacon. lol I do like eating all this bacon.

4. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

The last two weeks has been horrendous at work so the changes to my life has just been put on hold. I have tried to keep on track with minimizing the soft drinks which I can say most days I have been successful.

I am looking to prepare for September (better food choices) and with the cooler weather coming that should help with moving more.

I also decided for my mental health that I needed to focus on "loving" myself no matter what size and just be happy with ME.

5. southernmother

southernmother Headed to SB for some cold brew & coconut milk

Hey all! August is almost over so I"m trailing in here late but I am working on a lot health-wise and have decided I can't do it alone.. so here I am.

A bit about where I'm at:

I have Type One Diabetes. I have spent many MANY years not caring for myself and choosing to ignore my disease. But it caught up with me. In Jan 2017 I became extremely sick. I had pneumonia and found out at the ER that I was in DKA. I had to confess to the staff I was refusing to take my insulin because it makes me gain weight. So they got me all straightened out. And by spring I was back to my old ways of not taking my insulin.

Over the next 8-9 months I was losing weight like crazy. 60 lbs. It was my body feeding on itself because my pancreas is dead and it thought it was starving to death - even though I was eating like a crazy person. Picture My 600lb life with weigh loss instead of gain. I could eat anything I wanted. I began realizing the high i let my glucose run, the more i lost.

This came with dire consequences. I was going blind, I lost all my muscle. I was dying.

I got sick again in March 2018 and when the hospital contacted my doctor he knew what I was doing.

My glucose was 846 and i was again in DKA. My bloodwork came back so wonky they told me I showed signs of Muscular Dystrophy because I lost all my muscle mass. I had damaged my heart muscle. I now have diabetic retinopathy and in July the blood vessels in my left eye hemmorraged leaving my retina detached and i lost my sight in that eye.

They told me I was dying. But I can stop it. I can't reverse the damage I caused but I can stay alive.

So here I am. I have my insulin pump now, since July 5. And I'm SUPPOSED to eat low carb - not full keto because I have to have carbs to balance my insulin. But the insulin causes weight gain. I have gained all the weight I lost when I was sick. My endocrinologist says if I move my butt and stop eating so many carbs I can combat the weight again and get in shape and even lose some weight. I can get healthy.

But man it's hard. I now weigh 194. And I'm 5'1. Sometimes I think I'd rather just die than weigh this much. That's not me being dramatic, thats me being honest with you.

Its much easier to stop taking my insulin and drop 20 lb in a month. But that's not being a good mom. I will die if I do it again.

So that's that. I could use all the encouragement I can get. And please, don't judge me, at least out loud. I KNOW what I did to myself was insane.

Thanks ladies <3

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Amber!!!! @southernmother big past diabetic hugs!! my hubby and I both hit rock bottom this February. Life had thrown us so many curves, that ice cream was the ONLY joy in our lives it seemed. I'm 5'7 but was at 247 pounds!!

I do keto, but my husband does less than 60 carbs a day, but still the fats and proteins remain higher too. He went to doc today, and is no longer in diabetic range. He was supposed to start meds in Feb, and asked for 6 months. WE did this! His waist went from 44 to 37!
    YOU can too.
    I started walking 10 minutes, crying on treadmill, my thighs rubbing against each other and pain in legs.
    to do sit ups, my 13 and 10 year old boys would take a shoulder and push me up, and I would cry.
    I swam 4 laps in May.
    Today, I am running! RUNNING! Do 1.5 run, 2 mile walk and swim 40 laps (one mile) I lost 45 pounds, and go back to doctor in September!
    YOU CAN do this!!
    YOU just have to start! and you did that, typing out your frustrations in the post above!!
    WE can do this together.

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

@southernmother I am SO proud of you for posting in here and so happy that you're looking for support! You can do it! It's awful hard, but with a few friends here struggling along with you, you can do hard! Keep popping in here and letting us know your successes! We can all cheer you on! :)

southernmother likes this.
  8. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

Oh Amber! No judgment, that is a very difficult decision to have to make! Know that we're all here struggling alongside you. Not with diabetes, but I am in a similar boat where I often feel that I would rather not live like this at all (chronic neuro issues) and I also can't stand the thought of leaving my children. If you ever need a shoulder to cry on or just a listening ear, I'm here.

9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh Amber, bless you! NO judgement here! TLP is the most supportive place I've ever belonged to. My heart goes out to you - you haven't done anything that a lot of other people haven't done. Unfortunately, you have had serious health repercussions! I'm so sorry to hear about your eye. It sounds like you're back on track with your insulin now, though. It's SO sad that we're so "deathly" afraid of gaining weight. There are LOTS of people that would do almost anything to be thin. It's a by-product of this society we live in, sadly. It's all about being thin (skinny!!) and being perfect. I feel especially sorry for the young women and the girls. There's so much pressure to be skinny.

You were so brave for posting this! Thank you for reaching out! :heartlub:heartlub:heartlub

southernmother and MrsEm like this.
  10. southernmother

Thank you all for such kind words and no judgement. It was hard to post that. I was in tears clicking send because I’m embarrassed of myself, but I also can’t help it either. I’m just at this point where I have to do something and I need someone to hold me accountable. My husband is not the one for that because he says he loves me regardless and just doesn’t “get it”. I have to make changes in my diet and activity level or else I’m going to just keep gaining weight with this insulin and if I want to live I have to take it. But gaining all this weight is not good for me either. I feel like I’m on a merry go round. I have no idea where to begin. But I guess this is a beginning. I just have to figure out where to go from here. Thank you again so much. Your support means so much to me. I knew this was a safe place to be open and honest about where I am and what I need and that I was doing the right thing. <3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jenn mccabe and Karen like this.
  11. southernmother

Thank you, Anne. That’s so wonderful that you and your husband have accomplished so much. I hope that I’m able to as well. You are a huge inspiration and such a joy and I’m really so happy I posted. Thank you!

12. southernmother

Thank you so much, you’re so kind and that means so much to me. I really appreciate you. <3

MrsEm likes this.
  13. southernmother

Thank you so much! I plan to keep posting and trying and hopefully I with some encouragement I can accomplish something. It seemed So daunting when I first posted but now I feel like I have hope and support and I can’t begin to say how much it means to me

Karen likes this.
  14. meggersjm

meggersjm bunny ears, bunny ears, playing by a tree

Big hugs, Amber! You are brave for posting!
    Just remember to do what is healthy for you!!!

My drama isn't that serious, but it did put me off the keto diet for the time being. I got the keto rash. All over. Itching until I bled. So I had to stop. It is starting to go away, so once I am healed up, maybe I will try keto again. I did Atkins with success earlier, so maybe I will go back to that. In the meantime, I've been to the gym with a bit more consistency, and that always makes me feel better!

15. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Great week so far!! My eldest son and darling wife came over Friday night with large Reece butter cup ice creams and my grand baby girl!! It was delightful. So jumping back in this week.
    Ran yesterday and swam. 31 sit ups too. Today only swim, and tomorrow only running due to appointments.
    Still waffling 204-205. I want under 200 so bad!!!
    But I can feel my oblique (side tummy muscles) lol, I can see them a little bit.
    I will start a new thread for September this weekend.

jenn mccabe and MrsEm like this.
  16. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

The end of the month is almost here! How is everyone doing? Did you achieve your goals? How are you feeling?!

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've maintained my goal weight (from 195 down to 120) this month. Paleo really works well for me. I have been out walking twice a day with Taz but starting tomorrow we'll be doing a walk/jog program (got an app to follow). I want to improve my cardio and I know the walking is good for me but walk/jog will be even better if I can get into it. I'll give it a few weeks and if I think I can keep it up, I'll be going to the Runners Room store in our neighborhood and getting tested on treadmill and fitted for the best runners for my feet (been reading lots about the importance of being fitted properly based on pronation, etc as everyone is different). I didn't find time this month to fit in weight lifting, so that will be next month's goal.

jenn mccabe and MrsEm like this.
  18. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I did it, friends! I just finished practice #10 for August. Even with a week straight migraine and pulling my hamstring. Woohoo! I have big plans for September and I. Am. Ready!

jenn mccabe and Cherylndesigns like this.
  19. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Congrats to all of you that achieved your goals!!! Woot- woot.

I kinda fell off the accountability thread for a little while.
    I didn't try any weight lifting or yoga - just walking and hiking. And even the walking I've been slacking a bit. As for the diet ... I've changed to low carb instead of full on Keto. I make spaghetti squash instead of pasta when my family wants a pasta dish, I eat lots of veggies and protein/meats/fish and do my best to avoid most carbs - but I have to confess I've had some. I had pizza 2 days ago. I had a panini the day before. I find that I cannot even eat 3 meals a day. I eat one or two and am just not very hungry most of the time. So the biggest thing over all is just way less calories are going in. I do the Anne trick of eating within a small window (maybe 6 hours within a 24 hour period). I thought I was stalling on the weight loss because even though I was down 11 1/2 lbs I wasn't losing anything more for like 2 weeks. I finally decided to try a pair of jeans on (that I haven't worn in about 1 - 1 1/2 years) and they fit! So even though the scale was telling me I wasn't making progress my body was indeed changing. That felt great! Today I am the lowest I've been since starting this diet/life style thing at the very end of June. I've lost 13 lbs so far. So I'm happy with that ... and here's to 15- 20 more!

Goals for Sept:
    Need to continue to walk more and maybe join a gym this month.
    I need to try to avoid the carbs as much as I can.
    Need to increase my water a bit.

@southernmother I am just now reading your post and I just want to give you a big old gentle hug. We all know how hard it is - we know what we should be doing as per the Drs, what is best for our health, etc ...... but having the strength and the willpower is quiet another story. We get it. It's very hard! I'm glad you are here. Like the girls have said - you are so very brave to post your story and I truly hope you know you are not alone. We're all in this together. One day at a time. And we are here for you - to listen, to cry with you, or get you back on track when you need it - to just say good job and you got this. I'll say it now ... GOOD JOB - just for coming in here and posting! If you ever need support at a moment's notice feel free to PM anytime!

southernmother and MrsEm like this.
  20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Yup - I fell off too... but I did have a wedding to attend (my sister's) last weekend. So I am happy to report that I have already lost the extra weight from the wedding trip.

Sept goals:
    8 waters a day
    7+ hours of sleep a night (according to my Fitbit)
    10,000 steps a day
    no food after 8pm
    limit non-veggie/fruit carbs to 1 serving per day
    no sweets

I want to ease into making this a lifestyle change. I tend to absentmindedly snack after 8pm. I love bread (okay I admit it). The no sweets will also be hard because I live with a baker, but I can do it! My Fitbit tells me I sleep on average about 6 hours a night. I feel tired, so I need to go to bed earlier as my dog usually wakes me around 7am every day.