August 23 Journaling: Tell Me More

Discussion in 'Weekly Focus Challenges' started by bestcee, Aug 23, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Tell Me More
    We use this phrase with my son a lot right now. My spouse will ask him what he did today. And munchkin will respond with: "We went to the park". This is true, and yes, it's what we did. But there's a much richer story with more details behind it.

So, one of us will say: Tell Me More about the Park.

And he will elaborate. "I rode my bike. And Mom carried the big ball. These people were there. It was hot. Mom drank all the water, so I went into Leanna's house to get more. I did it all by myself. I found 5 roly-poly's and built them a house out of rocks. Then the girls came over and we fed the roly-poly's grass. We got one of the baby's cups and gave the roly-poly's water too. Then Baby Tornado came over and tried to eat the roly-poly's so I took him to play with our ball instead. Then we came home."

The first story is a story. And I could add a date, and a photo and call it done. But the second story says a lot more about our life right now. It adds weather (hot), people (Leanna, girls, Baby Tornado), activities (bike, Roly-Poly), and creativity (using the baby's sippy cup for water). The second story is much more interesting to read.

So, your challenge today is to Tell Me More about your photo(s). Here's 2 examples to make you think. If you are stuck, tag me, I'll ask you questions to get you going!

Tell Me More about what I see in the photo (Kid in a Carseat) - Where are you going? Why did you go on the Road Trip? What are you listening to? Is the shirt new for that child, or a hand me down from a sibling? Is the pacifier for car rides only? Do you like the sippy cup or hate it? Did the child recently move from carseat to booster?

Tell Me More about the behind the scenes (Family Photo) - Where are you? Is it a special place? Was it easy to get everyone together? Who choose the clothing theme? Do you like it? How long ago was the last one? Have you used the same photographer since you got married or do you have a new one every year? Did everyone look at the camera? Or did you have to Faceswap some adults (because I swear, it's always the adults that turn away when the littles are looking!)?

You can make your Tell Me More Story as long or as short as you want, after all this is *Your* story. But in the spirit of the challenge, strive for more story details than usual. :-)

Please follow the Lilypad Gallery Guidelines: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products (current or retired product from current designers; templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

And here's my example:
    I could have just said: We didn't get to see the eclipse because it was overcast, and raining. But there's more details behind why that was a surprise to us!
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel, mcurtt and jenn mccabe like this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I like the idea of receiving questions about my photo to help me with my journaling. Fire away! Everyone! :D I'll be scrapping this evening. Note: I do have some other photos I plan to include in this layout.
    [​IMG]

MrsPeel likes this.
  3. bestcee

@michelepixels I'm going to skip the basic who are they. Why are you eating blue cake? Who made it? Is it a yearly tradition? Is this a daily thing? Is cake your favorite? Do any of the mugs on the counter have a special meaning? Is this a normal place to grab a snack - standing in the kitchen? Is the table usually full of other stuff (schoolwork, business work, etc). The cake spoon looks older - is it special?

MrsPeel and michelepixels like this.
  4. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member

5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Great idea for a journaling challenge Courtney - that is such a super cute thing to do with your son ... and I love that you are willing to help others elaborate by offering to ask ?s based on their shared photos. Such a cool idea! This should be fun!

MrsPeel and bestcee like this.
  6. bestcee

Thanks! It's my nosiness coming out!

cinderella and jenn mccabe like this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Thanks for the questions Courtney. I didn't fit all the answers into my layout, but it gave me some ideas. For instance, I've never really scrapped about my kitchen before, and that would be interesting to tell about how I like to keep that island clear, how my son keeps putting dishes there instead of next to the sink, why one of our cabinets lost its door, etc . . . filing this idea away for another layout.

If you'd like to read my journaling: "
    The 18th is Percy Jackson’s birthday so Caroline, who has been obsessed with Rick Riordan’s books all summer (and since at least last year) decided to make a blue cake to celebrate. Blue, of course, because Percy’s mom always treated Percy with blue foods. I just used the white cake recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook and added food coloring. LOTS of food color. Caroline used up the entire bottle.
    On the 19th she had Zoe and Mia over for the weekend and they helped her eat the blue cake. It was incredibly sweet, despite having skimped on sugar because we ran out! It was a bit scary lighting 24 candles, which Caroline figured was the correct number if we put Percy in the real life timeline. It was funny cutting the cake. That old server (a wedding gift) doesn’t cut, and even the knife struggled with the dense wheat-free cake."

[​IMG]

wvsandy, mcurtt and bestcee like this.
  8. bestcee

That's awesome @michelepixels ! I'm glad I gave you some things to think about. I love how the layout turned out!

9. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

10. AnotherAmanda

AnotherAmanda Well-Known Member

11. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Courtney, every day I love you MORE-

bestcee likes this.
  12. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Well since this is a journaling challenge -- I can certainly "Tell You More". My original intent had been to include a school days photo but the layout got away from me and I did not have a photo readily available so it is what it is:
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  13. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

Perfect way to use a photo of nothing, but a photo I love nonetheless. [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  14. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

Perfect type of challenge for us. As Elijah has autism, his world is full of all those little details.. the smells, the sounds, the "over feeling" of the situation.
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  15. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I LOVE this challenge so so much!!!! I did a page which in the end the journaling turned a bit personal and also it wouldn't fit in the page blah blah blah and got to do this which I am actually quiet happy with!!!!! <3
    Thanks for this Court!!!!
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  16. bestcee

Oh! I'm so loving all the details in the journaling! Thank you for sharing a bit of your life with me!

17. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think