August 2017 Book Club - Unwind

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I am posting the next few months at once, so we can all get these books on hold at our libraries in time. :) The book we will be reading for August 2017 is Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Please label spoilers or even type them in white like I just did right here (highlight that blank space) so that a person has to highlight it to read it.

[​IMG]

michelepixels likes this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I'm about 1/3 the way thru this and can see i'll be sucked into this series, it's right up my alley (YA dystopia with universal themes and controversial issues) - it looks like 4 books, glad they arent as long as the Red Rising ones :)

Vrielinkie and Karen like this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I just started reading it. The premise is horrifying, but I too have a fascination for this type of story and will probably devour it this week.

bellbird and Karen like this.
  4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Finished it this wkend. I've got the next couple in the series so am looking forward to reading them.

5. Karen

I have a feeling I'm going to get sucked into these too... I cringed when I saw that this was a series of 4 books because I can't just read the first book in a series and then move on. Lol. I'm in it for the long haul... I did the same with the Red Rising series. But, although I say I cringed, I do love a good series of books.

bellbird likes this.
  6. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I'm 3rd on the ebooks waiting list from my library. Maybe I'll get it in time to read it at the beach next week.

7. michelepixels

Done. As I already said, the premise is ridiculous and horrible, but I have a fascination for dystopia. Not sure I want to read any of the following books in the series. This was well-written and it's a good for a quick, adventurous read. I like how the characters are wound through the story, connecting, separating, and re-connecting. I agree with one of the reviews on Goodreads though, about how some things were not well-explained.

8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

To expand further on my thoughts, I was pleasantly surprised, liking it more than I expected to. Although of course the premise is unrealistic but that's the nature of the genre. It was an easy read which I like. To me, an easy read flows well, there isn't a lot of boring descriptive text and was a simple enough plot to understand and just flow thru the story. Also, I like when the characters come to life for me which they did in this book, with just enough back story and fleshed out characters. It won't make it onto my top 10 for the year but it was good and I enjoyed it, as I'm sure I will the rest in the series.

9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I just got back to this Forum as I've been busy reading other books all summer but I should get this one tomorrow. I'm not terribly keen on YA books but I think the horrifying premise that I read in the Goodreads blurb may not be as far fetched as we think. Just think of the scientific things that have happened in our own lifetimes.

bellbird likes this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I finished this the other day too and couldn't help seeing parallels with other books released around that time like The Hunger Games. I think dystopias were the new vampire/werewolf YA where kids are put into ridiculous but plausible situations b/c of adult decisions/laws/class structure. the rest is in white ...

i can see the series becoming political and revolution based like the Hunger Games too. I really liked the end, how Mai was brought back in and all the little pieces about clappers and the Dunfees and Pastor Dan came back into it (Cy-fy's wandering towards that 'J' town i can't remember the name of, brought the book down for me, it felt like it took ages but then i guess it would have so maybe they wanted it to feel like real time). I found the tithing mindset and contrast with the 'troubled' unwinds interesting and as always, the way as a reader, I'm shuffled between not liking a character and then feeling sympathy for them like Roland and characters like Connor and the Admiral, how they're personality is built by their actions as the plot rolls on (with the way he grabbed Lev and the baby; and everything really the Admiral did).

I really liked this, in a 'god, i hope this never happens in our world' kind of way and parts will stay with me for a long time (Roland's Unwinding- that was a freaky experience!)

I'm not sure how they can get another 3 books out of this, but i remember thinking that with Red Rising too. At least it's all released and I can go back into their world when I'm ready :)

michelepixels likes this.
  11. michelepixels

@bellbird Justine, I liked the character development too. I made a half-hearted attempt to get the next book in my library, but then I got distracted by other books. I've finished Radium Girls and started two other books (plus I've been continuously but inconsistently reading Rick Riordan books at my daughter's request) since I finished Unwind. I don't feel strongly compelled to return to the Unwind story. Maybe.

bellbird likes this.
  12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I finished this earlier this month and found I enjoyed it more than I thought I would as I have only read YA if one is picked here. No, I have no interest in continuing the saga but wondered if my 15 y o. granddaughter is still interested in this kind of thing. I might suggest it to my husband for the books we buy for a boys middle school.

bellbird likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

The 1.5 in this series UnStrung was really good if you like this book and want some backstory on Lev after he disappeared for a bit in UnWind - and it's heaps less than the 60pages it says it is because there's filler and intro chapters from Unwind and UnWholly at the end of it, so maybe 40-ish pages and it made me understand and love Lev and Shusterman's skill in writing all the more (but then i like YA dystopia stuff so take that into account too)

14. djp332

Well, I'm late to the party. My book just became available for download last night. I'll be playing catch up.

15. djp332

Wow! I'm only on page 37 and I already have a migraine!

16. djp332

I finished this last night. Once I started, I had a hard time putting it down. I'll probably read the other 3 in the series, but not right away. After this one, I think I need something lighter.

17. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I'm reading this one now and really like it, except for Chapter 61.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Karen likes this.
  18. Karen

I still haven't gotten to this one yet. sigh. My to-read list is WAY bigger than my time-available-to-read

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

#storyofmylife even if they stopped publishing books altogether, i think i'd be set for a good decade too - i did buy more paper books today (2nd hand charity book fair) and at the same time i'm thinking "but the e-books take up less space" and then i'm thinking "but what if my ereader dies or something, at least i'll have books on the shelf to choose from"

- i doubt frogs have this problem...
    [​IMG]

Karen likes this.
  20. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

I kissed the frog