Asheville, NC & the Biltmore Estate

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Aug 6, 2019.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

We're thinking about going to Asheville & the Biltmore Estate for my birthday next month. We've never been, so I'm looking for recommendations from people who have been there. There's so many options and opinions out there that I don't know where to start.

Do you have any thoughts on where to stay? I'm overwhelmed by the options. We're thinking either a B&B or staying onsite at the Village Hotel, which would include breakfast and tickets.

How much time should we allot for the Biltmore, both touring and the gardens? We're not interested in other tours or activities.

What other things are there to do in Asheville?

My big issue, as usual, is food (I'm a gluten, nut, dairy, egg & soy free pescatarian due to health issues). I'm going to call the estate tomorrow morning to see how their restaurants would be able to accommodate all this. If they can't, then we may think of visiting somewhere else.

Thanks in advance!

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Hi Jan! You will only be 4 hours from my house! Wave and I will wave back! Oh, and the Scrap Camp is Sept 19-22, just south of Asheville. I will be there that weekend.

Okay, back to the Biltmore. You really do need several hours to visit it. The tour of the house takes maybe a hour or so. But the gardens are amazing - be sure to visit the conservatory and see where they grow all the plants. They have an entire room of just orchids. Lots of walking trails there too. Then there is a winery onsite and that tour takes 30 minutes to a hour. Then there is shopping. So yeah, you could easily spend an entire day there. You could also do just the house and the gardens in half a day if you go in the morning.

I would call about the food. The restaurant there is good but busy. There are also lots of local food and fast food places literally outside the main gate.

I have not explored Asheville the city much, but there are a lot of outdoor things in the area. One vacation, we stayed at Lake Lure, visited Chimney Rock, Linville Caverns, Linville Falls, and about 6 waterfalls in the area. If you want to go north instead of south, Boone and Bowling Rock are fun too. Grandfather Mountain has a mile high bridge (you drive up the mountain to it).

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@QuiltyMom - Bev beat me to the punch. Ya got two Carolina gals here, lol! Biltmore has been given rave reviews by everyone I know who has visited. :) DS and DIL bring back Biltmore wine each visit.
    The city itself is interesting too. I particulary like the River Arts District! Great variety and the artisans are very friendly. Met my first "fiber artist" there! Food isn't hard to find. You would love spending a few hours downtown or in the district.
    I can vouche for Grandfather Mountain and Linville Caverns too. NO, I did NOT cross that mile high bridge- I watched with DS( then age 8) while DD and hubster went across and back. LOL

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Just driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway is fun - amazing scenery! The last time I went to Biltmore our group also made a reservation for high tea - that was wonderful. I would think their restaurants would be able to work with you to accommodate your dietary restrictions.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. QuiltyMom

Thanks for the tips. And there’s NO WAY I’d go to that bridge! I read about it and gasped. I can barely look over our deck without getting queasy! Eek!!

We’re still trying to figure out if the trip is something to do. It’s an 8-hour drive so that’s two days lost to travel. If we flew, one airport has a 5:00 am(!) flight getting us there by 8:00 am (which is good), or the other with better departure times, except flight times/airport waits that would be only two hours faster than driving (which isn’t good). And driving would be much cheaper on the budget!

7. QuiltyMom

8. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I'm only about an hour west of Asheville! I've been to the Biltmore a couple of times but it's been a while...and we might actually be going again in September for homeschool days.

I agree with what @BevG said. You'll want several hours. I think we spent about 4-5 hours there...and I had 3 little kids at the time and maybe would have stayed longer. There are lots of places to eat. I've never checked out the River Arts District...now I want to!

I would definitely recommend driving part of the Blue Ridge. Pisgah National Forest and The Cradle of Forestry are near there. There's a Restaurant on the ridge in Pisah with beautiful views.

You could come out west and visit me. ;) I'll show you all of Franklin's beautiful waterfalls.

QuiltyMom and BevG like this.
  9. QuiltyMom

I’d love to visit with you!!! I’ll mention it to my husband. He’s been planning the trip (it’s for my 60th!) and he did tell me last night he had everything planned, including some surprises. Ooh! I don’t think he wanted to go any further West this trip. He’s already taking off extra vacation days and has made this into a week trip than a weekend. But if he changes his mind I’ll let you know! And thanks for the other tips, too!

Scrapping with Liz and BevG like this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I had to chuckle earlier today. I have a friend that is at Biltmore today!

She lives in Matthews, NC and makes multiple trips to the Biltmore every year. I think it is her "Disney" obsession (although she is a fan of Disney as well). Today's trip she is posting about the train exhibits that are now there. She always posts about new things each time as well.

That's all I know about it though!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  11. QuiltyMom

@HavaDrPepper - I can't wait to see the trains! But I will be missing the Downton Abbey costume exhibit which arrives later in the fall. I bet your friend goes to see that, too!

12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I don't have anything to offer, but I am taking notes. It's somewhere I've wanted to visit for a long time and it's only about 3 hours south of me. The whole area is beautiful! I hope you have an amazing time!!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

OH Jan, you should go!! @Scrapping with Liz : LUCKY you!!!!! I live near Florence- SC- hour from M.B.

IntenseMagic likes this.