Artisan users - help please

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by travellerchick, Apr 25, 2019.

1. travellerchick

travellerchick New Member

I'm hoping there's a fellow Artisan user on here that can help me. I've purchased some Lynn Griverson page designs from Lilypad, but am not sure on the best way to import them in? Is anyone familiar with Artisan that can help? Thanks so much.

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Hi - I can help you. By "page designs", I assume you mean templates for pages. If you mean art kits, respond and let me know as those instructions are different.

Only page templates sold by Forever can be imported into Artisan. For the rest, like the ones you bought from Lynn, you just store them in a folder on your computer. You might keep them in a folder called "Page Templates" in your Documents folder. I like to sort my templates by designer, so under "Page Templates", I would create a folder called "Lynn Grieveson". You can have as many folders as you want. As you collect other templates you can just unzip and copy the .page files to those folders.

In Artisan, open your project, click on Add Page, then click on Using a Page File from my Computer. Navigate to the folder that you created above and select the template you want to use. This will add the template as a new page at the end of your project.

Alternatively, go to a blank page in your project, click on Template on the Home tab, then click on Using a Page File from my Computer. Navigate to the folder that you created above and select the template. This will add the template to the current page without making the overall project longer.

Both of these methods do not change the original template file. It will be there ready for you to use again some time. Both of these methods make a copy of it into your current project.

bestcee and gonewiththewind like this.
  3. travellerchick

Thanks Bev, I so appreciate your help. That's WAY faster than what I was doing. However, it still doesn't have any 'photo wells'. ie. if I try and add a photo to one of the coloured pieces (where a photo should go), it covers the whole page. This is the same problem I was having when I was putting the pieces on individually like I was before. I was then creating a new photo frame, and manually sizing it to the size of the coloured piece. Do you know of any other way around this? Thanks so much for your time and expertise, I really appreciate it.

4. BevG

Are you opening the page files by themselves or in a project? Because Artisan is weird about letting you put photos on a single page that is NOT in a project (no idea why).

All the photo spots on Lynn's templates should already be live photo spots that you can drag and drop a photo onto. If you click on one you should see the little pop-up yellow cross to let you know it is a photo spot. Yes, the photo spots have been re-colored from the usual grey but they work the same.

If you are dragging and dropping the photo, you have to take your mouse to the photo spot before letting go of the click. If you let go somewhere else, then yes, it will just plop it on the page. If the drag and drop is problematic for you, click the photo spot to select it, then in the photo panel click the photo drop down and pick Insert into Selected Photo Spot.

If you are talking about areas that are usually filled with paper, you will have to select them, then right click on the paper (or photo) and pick Fill Selected area.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    bestcee likes this.
  5. BevG

Here is a video that will give you some tricks and tips in making a layout using a template.

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

You are awesome, @BevG ! Thanks for helping @travellerchick out!

And welcome travellerchick - nice to have you join us. [​IMG]

7. travellerchick

Thanks again Bev. Unfortunately there don't appear to be any photo wells on the page. What should be a photo well, is say a 3x4 coloured image, that is set in a 12x12 frame which positions it on the page. So if I click on one and move it, the piece is set with a 12x12 dotted line around it, which moves with it. If I go to fill it with a photo, it fills the entire 12x12 frame. I can't seem to remove the 3x4 piece from that frame.

8. BevG

I am sending you a PM - check your inbox.