ARGH - CS5 question

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Beckie, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Beckie

Beckie Active Member

can someone PLEASE tell me what I need to do to keep my objects from opening in CS5 as layers that I need to rasterize before I can do destructive editing? (cropping, re-coloring, etc)?? I think they call this "feature" smart objects or something?

thank you!! :flirty

ok...and since I have your attention, one more BONUS question, LOL!

I have actions created to make shadows, all start with duplicating the current layer. I want to include as part of the action moving the shadow immediately below the original item in the layers pallette. However, when I re-play the action on other items on my page, the action ends up putting the shadow way down in the layers pallette where it placed the first shadow, not in a position relative to the new object I'm working on (does that make sense??)...

anyone know how to do an action step that will do relative positioning of my shadow layer so it ALWAYS ends up immediately below the object I'm working on?

Thank you very much ladies!!

2. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

OK for the smart object question
    edit > preferences > general > UNcheck the bottom option that reads Place or Drag Raster Images as Smart Objects

Not sure on the actions question, as I use styles for my shadows.

3. Beckie

Beckie Active Member

GET OUT, Laura!!

You mean I've been rasterizing layers for a year when all I had to do was un-check a stupid box!?? OMG. Now I wish I'd asked sooner! :)

thank you sooooo much!

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Hee hee... Love this place for just this reason. :)

5. bandgeek

bandgeek New Member

I'm not sure about the actions, but you might try going to LAYERS>ARRANGE>SEND BACKWARD. That should send the current layer back one layer, placing it underneath the element. If you use SEND BACK, it puts it to the bottom of the layers.

Yeah, that smart objects thing was really annoying in CS4. It was one of the first thing that fixed.

6. AlliJ2008

AlliJ2008 Downsizing!

Okay, so I looked at my preferences in CS5....I do have that box checked. I don't know if I am doing this or not. What does it mean to rasterize a smart object?

7. Beckie

Beckie Active Member

well, if you drag an item into CS with that option checked, they'll import with a little icon in the lower right corner, like the "treed-thepatch-ribbon4" layer in this image below:

[​IMG]

If your layer has that icon, meaning it's a smart object, you can't do destructive editing to the layer - like deleting (cropping, etc) or adjusting hut/saturation (ctrl+U). I truthfully don't know what the "benefits" of a smart object are, all I know is that I don't need it and it's an extra step to rasterize (right click on the layer, select rasterize) to get rid of the smart object setting on the layer before I can edit/ adjust color/etc.

hope that helps!!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  8. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

see, this is exactly why me and my simple brain have to stick to PSE. i feel like i just read through a thread written in a foreign language. :(

:giggle

9. AlliJ2008

AlliJ2008 Downsizing!

Thanks Beckie! I don't think I see that little icon often so most of the elements I use must not be smart objects. lol

10. bandgeek

bandgeek New Member

The only time I put things in as a smart object is when I design. It allows me to "flatten" all the layer styles I have applied so that I can add new ones. Like if I have put a glitter style on something, I make it a smart object and then rasterize it, so I can put a shadow on it and separate the layers.

11. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Wow, seriously, me too! :blush Thanks Laura!! I've been wasting all this time until now, always right-clicking and selecting Open With... because if I dragged it would make a smart object! This is going to save me so much time!

12. Beckie

Beckie Active Member

THIS WORKED!! thank you!!!! That's been driving me buggy FOR-EVER.... YAY!! now all my nuisance CS things are fixed!! you girls rock :)