Are You Ready For School?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Trista, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Summer is coming to a close. The countdown is on! We start back to school on August 25th and we are a house of mixed emotions.
    :dizzy :hissy :yesss :tantrum :therethere :giggle

Check out the blog for some tips on how to prepare for the return to school.

2. neenee

neenee No Woman No Cry

No, not at all. My daughter starts back on the 25th as well. We really wanted her to have her license by the time school started but that isn't going to happen so I will be driving her to school for awhile which bums me out a bit. Plus, her being the age she is (17), we spend a lot of time together during the day so I will miss her companionship. But, they grow up......just trying to enjoy the most I can of my last baby here at home. :(

3. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

My girls go back on Thursday. Usually, I am really, really sad to see summer end and not ready to give them back to school, but this summer has been crazy. Lots of travel and juggling! So, I think we're all ready to get back to a solid routine at home.

4. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

That is a FUN post, Trista!! We started "Bedtime Boot Camp" the Sunday night before school started. Your post actually makes me feel like I was more prepared than I realized - we have hooks in the kitchen for backpacks, with clipboards above the hooks for "keeper" school papers, and we went through all the closets too!

Nope, wasn't ready but it started anyway! we went back last Thursday. I know they miss spending their days doing whatever/nothing at their grandparents' house, but I always love the return of routine (even if Aug/Sept is SUPER stressful for me getting it all in place). This year's first day was less painful than last year because both kiddos are at the same schools as last year. :)

And our #10 (1st & 5th grades):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  5. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

I sent my babies back to school this morning!! We had such a great summer so I wasn't exactly ready, but it was a successful morning - everyone was pretty excited to start. My oldest is in 5th, middle in 2nd, and youngest started Kindergarten today so for one blessed year I have them all at the same school. Hurray!

Oh - and Danielle, that is such a sweet photo!

6. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Oh that is hard. Will she be licensed this year at all? If so, you at least have that reprieve to look forward to. :)
    I still have mixed feelings about summer ending. There were some things on our summer bucket list that we didn't have time to get around to doing. Overall the kids have had an amazing summer. One is ready for school, the other is dreading it.
    Awesome! You are on top of things Danielle. That photo is precious!

Yay to a successful start to the first day and yay that they are all at the same school if for just one year. I am fortunate enough that my littles are one grade apart, so for the next 3 years at least they are at the same school and that works fine for me!

7. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

No, not really. My son will be starting gr. 12 in the fall....his last year of high school :( and the new year means university applications have to be started. I am not ready for this to happen.

It also means back to work for me as I work in a high school, lol. Enjoying my time off of no routine.

8. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Oh Jaye. I feel for you. I can totally understand not being ready for one to graduate high school.

9. katieFLapple

katieFLapple Active Member

My four year old had his first day of pre-k this morning and my 1st grader starts next Monday. I am so ready to get back into the routine of school. I know in a few months I will be over it, but I feel like my kids are so much happier when we have a good routine down and they are getting to go to school each day. I just had a baby in June, so we have been sticking close to home and they haven't been getting the stimulation that they are used to getting everyday.

10. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I had to be ready whether I wanted to be or not! :giggle

My stepson started middle school on the 4th, and my daughter started kindergarten on the 6th.

I have been enjoying that my motormouth always-running-around daughter is so tired from kindergarten that she drops into bed at 7:30 p.m. so as long as I'm able to get the baby down relatively soon after that, I have a couple more hours in the evening to unwind before bed. :beat

11. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

Katie, I agree, having the routine does make life a little less chaotic. Congrats on your new bundle!

Oh I remember those first days of school when my littles were a bit younger. They were more than ready for bed each night. :)

12. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

We started today also.
    One in 10th, gone until 8pm (football)
    Homeschooling my twins (juniors)
    and then 3rd, 2nd and 1st! They took this 6 week accelerated summer school (they loved) and had a week off between.
    My college kid doesn't start for a few weeks! But I only see him when his clothes are dirty or he is really really hungry! lol

13. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

Ugh! I don't even want to think about it! Not because I won't be glad for the routine - although with the kids in day care all day they already kind of have that covered - but I was the dummy who volunteered for PTA president this coming year and with my oldest only going into first grade I have NO idea what I'm doing, lol.. Back to school night is next Wednesday, with school starting on Thursday.. I've got a lot to do between now and then and I haven't even taken time to think about getting things organized here at home.. Sigh.. One day at a time.. one day at a time..

14. Trista

Trista I'm Working On It

The 6 week accelerated summer school sounds interesting. Does that give them a leg up for the current year or allow them to skip a year?
    ACK! You have your work cut out for you. We have a new PTO president this year, and she has rooked, :giggle err... asked me to be treasurer. I am not still not sure what I'm gong to be doing. It appears to have been very poorly managed for years. I have volunteered a the school ever since my eldest began school, but this will be the first year that I am this involved in the PTO.

15. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

We have a few more weeks left here in the uk so good luck guys to the ones sending them back sooner,for me I need to go uniform shopping for the eldest

16. Dana

Dana Dana

i have a few more weeks, too (until september 2nd) - but we are going on vacation for the last week of summer, so i need to be ready by the end of next week. we just moved to a new town, so we still need to go to the new student orientation, get all the paperwork in, etc ... but i am hoping that i can get most things organized this week. we bought new 1st day outfits today :)

17. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

My boys don't go back until next Thursday, but I head back for inservice tomorrow, so I am kinda bemoaning the return to school and just the stress that always brings getting back in the swing of things. We went out with a bang though because my husband took the day off work and we painted our kitchen!! I forget how much work painting is!! And after dinner out with the grandparents, I decided to ignore that my floors needed to be cleaned and took my boys for a bike ride.

18. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Physically, yes. We start next Tuesday. They've gotten shoes and haircuts and I bought all the supplies. I stopped buying tons of new clothes a few years ago when I finally realized they spend the first few weeks in their shorts anyway. Now I just buy them as they need them, though I did stock up at the Old Navy $10 jean sale.

Emotionally, no. I feel like summer hasn't even started yet, and can't possibly be almost over. Winter was so long, why was summer so short?

19. renee82

renee82 renee82

Mine don't start until Sept. 2nd. We are currently in the process of getting everything ready. My boys do not want to go back. We've been having a great carefree summer... I don't know if I feel like going back to routines.

20. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Mine are in preschool so I don't really deal with BTS, but we do a family music class that is schoolyear-only and it starts TODAY. The girls are so excited to go back! Plus Elder Daughter will be doing capoeira class starting in a couple weeks, but it's only until the end of the calendar year.