Are you in Helena's path?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by NancyP, Jan 6, 2017.

1. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

If so, are you hunkered down? Do you have your bread and milk? Why are those the first two items to go??? I could live without bread and milk! I would grab all the cookies and candy bars!!!
    Oh, and they just named the NINTH winter storm. Iras is now heading East. So far, upper Michigan has been spared. It's been a very mild winter for us.

2. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Nancy where are you again? I have a brother in the UP near Houghton and he said they are getting alot of snow so far this year.

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Nope. No snow here. But freezing. Ok, it's Vegas freezing (40F) which is nothing compared to more northern states, but it's cold for us.
    And I"m with you Nancy! I want the chocolate.

4. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Nope; I'm a troll. I live below the bridge. Your brother is a Yupee (UP). He lives above the bridge. Trolls and Yupees are always picking at each other saying their area is the best!! Have to agree cause its too darn cold up there!!!! I live 2 hours below the bridge; on Lake Huron. A mild winter down here so far. Everything either goes above us; and hits your brother; or goes below us and hits Detroit.

Sokee likes this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Yup in NC. I drove about a hour away from home to hang out in hotel with a friend. We are scrapping all weekend. Let it snow! Well, I am hoping I can get home on Sunday - and somebody is open on Saturday so I can eat...

6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Keep safe and warm everyone.

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We are on the western edge of the storm and have probably 3 inches this morning.:gotcha But that's a pretty typical snow for us. It's just cold...11 right now, so I'm praying for no frozen water pipes. I'm guessing there's a need to make French Toast when it snows, since people feel compelled to buy bread, milk, and eggs. I'm really not sure why people buy perishables when there's a possibility of losing power. We tend to stock up on things like beer and wine :giggle. Those are much more needed if we have to be trapped in the house together! I feel for all of those who are not used to dealing with snow and ice. Stay safe!!

janedee and Sokee like this.
  8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Well we have had our first snow of the year and I got to the store(s) Thursday when it was empty, got all I needed and then went to Trader Jo's for the wants. I also went to the library yesterday - 3 new books - so I'm set for a while!

9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

For a snowstorm, there is no fridge needed. You just stick it outside, and bring it in when the house reaches the fridge temperature! :gotcha

janedee and scrappyjedi like this.
  10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

We have snow... it's fairly light, and not good snowman snow. lol! Kids played, we did errands and I think we have about 4-5 inches... but super light snow!

I didn't know this snow storm had a name, lol!

11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Yeah, but where we live, we get the big heavy snows that knock out the power one day and then it's way above fridge temp the next haha It would be alright if it got cold, snowed, and stayed cold for a few days. I reckon that works for those folks. [​IMG]

Sokee and bestcee like this.
  12. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

We don't run out and buy food when a storm is coming (I do a lot of freezer cooking, so we're always fairly well stocked)...but we do have a generator, so even if the power goes out we're good. On top of that, our heat is natural gas, so the only thing the generator would really have to power would be the central unit's fan. A few years ago a string of tornados knocked out our power for a solid week in the spring. Luckily we had installed a tankless gas water heater 4 months before that happened, and literally two weeks before had swapped our electric stove for a gas range. We were the only house in the neighborhood with hot water the entire week. Needless to say, we were pretty popular. :)

Oh, and as far as Helena- it snowed for approximately 33 and a half seconds here, but it has been REALLY cold for northern Alabama. Our high today was 23F.

janedee likes this.
  13. kim21673

kim21673 I'm slowly getting there!

We haven't had any snow since the week before Christmas. We are getting a dusting right now, but it's suppose to warm up so we will be getting freezing rain/rain for the next few days.