Are you a re-reader?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by crystalbella77, Jan 23, 2016.

1. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

So, I am a creature of habit and I kind of hate change (on most things..though I do think sometimes it's good!). I watch the same movies and TV shows over and over again. Like over and over. I have seen 5-6 things a million times....I order the same thing ever restaurant. Most people think it's super weird, but I am super picky and would rather know I love something then try something new and be disappointed. :/

I do this with books too, but I am wanting to find some new and amazing ones that are worthy or re-reading all the time. Thanks to @lmccandless I read the Fever series years ago and now I read it every year (though I haven't read all the new ones! I hated Iced and never could get into it, so I just read the first 5 all the time..:/). I read Harry Potter once a year at least as well.

Anything you guys read all the time or think is worthy of reading all the time?! (If you think I am weird and just super vanilla boring, I get it..lol)

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I like to repeat things I enjoyed. I've read the Harry Potter books many times (though partly because each of my three kids asked me to at least once). I've watched The Princess Bride numerous times. I couldn't wait to re-read the Anne of Green Gables series after I read it with my first daughter, and then my second daughter wasn't interested :( but then my son was :)

Probably the biggest example of how I like repeating things is that I'm very happy to have lived in the same house for 15 years. I like familiarity. (I do crave travel too though.)

3. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Yes. There are some books/series that I love and will continue to read until the day I die. And there are those books that I re-read without knowing it - until I get to the end and think, Haven't I read this before? I guess it's a positive spin on having a horrible memory these days.

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Absolutely!

Here are a few I re-read on a regular basis (like once a year or every couple of years). I'm also known to just read my favorite parts. LOL

Games of Thrones series (read them twice now and see more readings in my future)
    Outlander series (three times now and again, more readings in the future)
    Harry Potter series (I think I'm on 5 or 6 readings now)
    The Lord of the Rings trilogy along with The Hobbit (twice now, and in fact, should grab it and read it again this year. It's been a while).
    She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. This one I read every single year. I just fell in love with it and every time I read it, I discover something new.
    Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Duh. LOL Yes, this is one that I will read over and over again. Parts and pieces and then the entire thing. I have the original book that I "borrowed" from my mom when I was 13. It's seen better days, so I have another cheap copy that I read OR the e-version that I purchased.
    Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig is an authorized sequel to GWTW. It really reads so much like the original novel, and I love the perspective.
    Fay by Larry Brown. If you've never read anything by him before, this is the one to read. Gritty, Southern, amazing writing.
    Cold Sassy Tree and Leaving Cold Sassy by Olive Ann Burns
    A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Smith
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
    The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

I'm not a huge fan of change myself BUT I also know that life is full of changes and to stay positive is the best way to handle whatever comes. That's hard though, and re-reading novels is certainly part of my way of self-soothing when there are too many changes or hard times. There's something so familiar, like meeting with old friends, and knowing without a doubt what is coming (good or bad).

@michelepixels We've been in our house for 21 years, and while I **think** I would like to live somewhere else, I really can't imagine it now.

5. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I re'read books when I am sick. And then it is usually old crime novels,like Agatha Christie, Dick Francis, Geoghette Heyer.
    They are easy to read,and "comforting somehow.
    Otherwise I don't, there are only so many hours in which to read, and sooo many books out there.
    I do order the same food in Restaurants,and I don't want to move house.

crystalbella77 and bellbird like this.
  6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

OK i had to google/goodreads this Fever series - call me a commitment phobe but when i can see a series has more than like 4-5 novels from the outset, i just can't do it. (I'm also put off by the physical length of books (Harry potter is too thick for me to handle mentally and if i hadn't audiobooked Twilight I wouldnt have gone there either) - audio & ebooks have been a work around to some degree (especially if i just read a blurb and have no idea what the length of the book is going in; but if i've seen it in the bookshop or library and it's thicker than the space btwn my thumb and forefinger, that's my yardstick).
    That said, I big loved the Gone series and i think i've read like 10 of the House of Night books (i thought they were both standalones or trilogies from what i saw at the library and the later was around Twilight time and vampires were the dystopia of today). I only kept plugging away because i naively thought each book released was going to be the last in that series, but you know like when they do movies and things become part 1 of 2 and the author says after the fact, that there was just so much more story to tell...blah blah - yep anyway.
    I'm not really a re-reader. In fact, there are few things i hate more because i feel like there's soooo many books, so little time, y'know (not that i need to read them all but i have a long enough list). My kids are re-readers, uggh, that can be painful at bedtime- (Oh Great! This story for the 49th time?!).
    It also feels like it's too much work, like in highschool having to re-read novels that many times so you know the characters/plot etc well enough to answer any essay Q in the exam.
    I don't really rewatch movies either (except Disney ones with the kids) and i'm not a fan of change either but i don't feel that's related to re-reading (the activity and location of reading round the house etc doesn't change, just the story).

crystalbella77 likes this.
  7. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I like change. Renewal. I try new foods, rarely read the same book or watch the same movie more than once. This is our fourth house and hubby and I are thinking of one more move to downsize a bit.

8. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I haven't re-read in a long time because there are SO many books on my kindle. But I used to be an avid re-reader. One of my favorites to re-read is the Thorn Birds. I have also re-read the Left Behind series a number of times!

9. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I don't reread very often, mostly if there's a series which has had a big gap between books such as The Game of Thrones or The Wheel of Time series. One other book that I have read several times is Pride and Prejudice. I have so many books on hand though - ebooks and regular books, that I can't see me doing any rereading for a long time now!

crystalbella77 and enjoyyourpix like this.
  10. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

I'm with Lindzee, I love change! Although there are two or three movies I will watch over and over, like Ghost and Flashdance. The only series I did re-read was the Left Behind series. Couldn't put those books down!!!

11. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have 8 zillion books on my to-read list, but I still re-read sometimes. Lol. The Bronze Horseman (3 FAT books) are great, especially the first one. I've also re-read the Passage and The Twelve a couple of times. Book 3 for that series is coming out in September I think and I'll probably re-read them again before I read the third one. I also LOVE the Clan of the Cave Bear books. Totally different, but I loved them and I re-read them all twice I think. They are all really FAT books.

I think I re-read a lot mostly because I can never remember all the details and I want a refresher. :)

12. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I used to re read all the time - and am going back to some of my earlier e reader books to start them again. When I was younger - Anne of Green Gables was read every year (and I picked them up for close to nothing on my ereader so I have just finished them again). Harry Potter, of course as well as the Fantasy Series, Magician and The Belgariad as well are all re read mostly every two years.

crystalbella77 and bestcee like this.
  13. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

No, I'm not much of a re-reader, but there are a few books I have re-read, maybe 3 or 4 times at the most. And several years go by before I want to read them again: The Count of Monte Cristo, Jane Eyre, Jeeves and Wooster stories, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I did re-read the Fever series while I was waiting for Iced.

Oh! I've re-read many of the Nero Wolf mysteries too. Those are quick and fun, and at one time I was trying to do a scrapbook project collecting fun Nero Wolf quotes.

14. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

I only re read if I've run out of new books to read. Which rarely happens now cos of my kindle :) I am funny with food though. My family say I have only 7 meals that I will eat in a restaurant. I used to try new food all the time. But now I am settled with my choice of 7. I mean that's quite a few really!

15. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This made me laugh!

I am a Repeat-er.... except books. I love watching certain movies over and over. Even just for background noise when I'm scrapping... I'll look up occasionally, but it's mostly for noise. I will order many of the same foods at restaurants if I know I like it. Who wants to pay for food I don't know I like? Not me.

I think in my lifetime, lol, I've read a few books a second time. Kain & Abel (Jeffrey Archer), Tess and the D'Ubervilles, and I think Watership Downs - only because of schooling. lol! I will go back to read a summary of a book, to refresh my memory if discussing it, but not usually the whole book. I have started books, thinking I hadn't read them, and then 3 chapters in, I remember it all.

16. gillscott

gillscott Waldo's just my alias

i re read a lot, harry potter, the iron druid , some other fantasy series, i read a lot and quickly so iwould spend even more if i didnt re read

17. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I do. Re-reading is very comforting to me. :)

18. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Totes. I re-read and I re-watch. People ask me why I still buy dvd's now that we have Netflix and online streaming but it's because some series and movies I just want to see when I want it. Right then and there when I want it. Same with books. So I own 2 copies of the Harry Potter series: the UK paper backs and the UK e-books. I read then in Dutch the first two times and then two times in English and now I'm on my e-book version. I re-read Tomorrow When The War Began every other year or so. Something that's good you should cherish.

crystalbella77 and enjoyyourpix like this.
  19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I reread some things. It really depended on how my first reading went, and how much I loved the book.

Not counting Curious George or the Doreen Cronin or Mo Willams books which I have read so many times to my kid.

crystalbella77 and bellbird like this.
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I so loved that series! If were a re-reader, that'd be one I'd re-read. I've seen the movie a few times and it was as good as the book to me