April Style Challenge

Discussion in 'April 2017 Challenges' started by ashleywb, Mar 26, 2017.

1. ashleywb

ashleywb Sand in my toes

Hello there! Happy April! This month's style challenge is really more about composition - but then you will have to infuse your own style into it, so that works, right?!

Not too long ago, trolling for some inspiration, I came across an article on bechance.net discussing graphic design trends from 2016 that would carry over to 2017. One of them was creative use of grid design. Two of the things that were specifically noted were a shift toward irregular layers (vs. uniform) and greater utilization of white space.

Grid design is common in scrapbooking, case in point - pocket pages. I often use grids or blocking when I am stumped for a place to start. I did a little further research and came across an article by Sam Hampton Smith on creativebloq.com. It was SO interesting. Among other things, Smith says that grids primarily exist to help determine the position and balance of elements in a layout. They are like an "invisible glue" behind content on a page.

So, back to the challenge. :) This month I would like to see creative use of grid design. Take a basic grid and then mix it up a bit - vary shapes and sizes, leave some extra white space, play with scale.

For my page I actually started with the Photocentric No. 1 template pack by Paislee Press.
    [​IMG]

It is a very uniform grid - nine squares, all the same size. That was my starting point. I removed some of the photo spots and changed the shape of others. I allowed journaling to serve in one of the spots and let elements "hang over" parts of the grid. Here's what I finally settled on:

[​IMG]

Now, I am a white space, straight lines kind of girl. But, I know that many of you are infinitely more creative than I am, so I honestly can't wait to see what you come up with. Have fun messing with the grid!

By the way, you are not required to start with the template. It just served as an easy jumping off point for me.
    ( jumping... see what I did there :D)

AS ALWAYS: Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a guest spot on the Lilypad Creative Team! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    vixen, marnie, Serena and 5 others like this.
  2. bcnatty

bcnatty Disney - it's all for the kids!

I LOVE using grids differently!!! What a fun challenge!!
    [​IMG]

marnie, Serena, Vrielinkie and 2 others like this.
  3. dancingJaye

dancingJaye Well-Known Member

ooh...challenging! Thanks for the brain workout!

[​IMG]

orkan, marnie, KarenK and 3 others like this.
  4. Jeanet

Jeanet CT - Lynne-Marie

5. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

great challenge

ashleywb likes this.
  6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Love this one, thanks.
    [​IMG]

7. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I changed the sizes of the grid. The template was all horizontal photos and I changed to a couple vertical.

[​IMG]

ashleywb, marnie and Serena like this.
  8. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I used "inches" in this, a template by Scrapping with Liz that I duplicated x 4 and then resized a bit. I merged the little squares, clipped my photo to it and then masked out a few of the squares, here and there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    BevG, wvsandy, orkan and 6 others like this.
  9. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

this was so so much fun:

[​IMG]

ashleywb and marnie like this.
  10. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

thank you for the inspiration . i never would have used this template this way. love to get myself "outside" the box

[​IMG]

11. Roxana

Roxana Bananas for radishes

That is a great challenge!
    [​IMG]

12. tape

tape Active Member

Ooh, great challenge! I modified a template by leaving out most of the squares and moving things around a bit.

[​IMG]

ljonezy, ashleywb, MariSt and 2 others like this.
  13. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

14. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

I really enjoyed this one, thank you!
    [​IMG]

ashleywb and janedee like this.
  15. silent ranks

silent ranks Don't forget to turn back around

16. Squirrely

Squirrely Well-Known Member

What a great challenge this is, and thank you for sharing your behind the scenes preparation for it Ashley, interesting reading indeed.

17. chickypow

chickypow All I need is my gun, and my blankie

Fun Challenge!!!!
    [​IMG]

ashleywb likes this.
  18. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

19. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

20. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

Started with 2x2 grid, moved the things around and filled the spaces with "holes" in the paper and elements.
    [​IMG]

ashleywb and wvsandy like this.