April Photography Challenge

Discussion in 'April 2023 Challenges' started by bestcee, Mar 30, 2023.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Hello everyone! Welcome to April and the changing of seasons. I am ready to move towards spring and get outside. With that in mind, the photography challenge this month is Architecture. Take a new photo of architecture in your area. Architecture Photography is interior and exterior. Because buildings don't move, you have more time to set up the shot. You can experiment with looking up at tall buildings, or moving back for a wide angle shot. Focus on an interesting part of the building and highlight it.

It doesn't have to be a fancy or well known building. Perhaps it's an interesting skyline, or a cool building texture. Maybe the church steeple rises perfectly against the sky. Or, perhaps that cottage in your neighborhood has fabulous lines. Look around and find architecture that catches your eye. Try different times of day for different lighting effects. A dark sky can make a building look foreboding, while a bright sunny sky can make the same building look welcoming. Autumn can give a pop of color, while spring may have some blossoms included.

Here's the building and photo I took a few days ago that inspired the challenge this month. I've looked at the tower before, and taken a few different photo angles of it. But this day, the construction trucks around the tower really gave it scale of how tall 166 feet really is.

[​IMG]

Look around you, and check out the architecture. Enjoy shooting a new architecture photo this month!

Gentle Reminders:
    Challenge layouts must contain 75% TLP product (eligible product can be current or retired product from resident designers, or guest designer product that is currently in the TLP store). BYOC challenge layouts must have 90% current BYOC product from the current month's BYOC.
    The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a $50 gift certificate from the Lilypad. The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    KarenB, bonnenuit, G.J. and 2 others like this.
  2. myka

myka Well-Known Member

Great challenge, I love taking photos of interesting architecture... the office building in the background doesn't exactly scream awesome architecture, but the art thingy in the courtyard sort of makes up for it. I really like it when art compliments architecture.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  3. KarenK

KarenK Well-Known Member

4. *sylvia*

*sylvia* Well-Known Member

thank you for the challenge

[​IMG]

bjc likes this.
  5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

6. MariSt

MariSt Well-Known Member

7. trekmom

trekmom Well-Known Member

I was so excited about this because I just went to visit this haunted Inn in my state. Ain't no ghosts there. Or they're afraid of me.
    It's a beautiful building.
    Ghostbusters Bored.jpg

8. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

I went downtown (don't blink or you will miss it) and took a picture of a memorial with City Hall in the background. I wanted to show the different angles of the two structures.
    [​IMG]

9. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Thank you for the challenge
    what is special and unusual with this photo is that there are no people in it. I think it is the first time ever I was able to take a photo here , without a tourist or two spoiling the shot. The town is a tourist attraction .but it is also my SiL's neighbour hood ,and I go there often
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    bestcee likes this.
  10. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thank you for the challenge Courtney

[​IMG]

11. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

12. crazycat1126

crazycat1126 Well-Known Member

@bestcee Does the building we photograph have to be finished? Or can it be in progress? Thanks!

13. Beth Holmes

Beth Holmes Well-Known Member

It was perfect timing for this month's architecture photo challenge that we were all staying in such a cool VRBO house that used to be a church. It was fun to photograph and scrap.

[​IMG]

14. bestcee

I'm not sure how to answer this question. I'm fine with a building in progress as long as it's a building. Like, not just a foundation hole. So, yes it can be in progress, as long as it's not just a dug out hole, or a couple of wooden supports?
    I'm not sure if that's helpful as an answer. :sorry

The goal of the challenge this month is to encourage looking around at the buildings we see all the time and maybe see them in a different light. Experiment with an object photo focused on the architecture of a building. It's character so to speak.

Does that help at all?

15. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

While taking pictures of the Church, for this challenge, I turned around and discovered this stunning mural...
    I knew nothing about it??? A little exploring disclosed it is on the end of the building that houses the Taroko Restarant that Pat plays at...
    I texted him and learned it is a tribute to our community coming together after the Carr fire in 2018. It is new. April 9, 2023

[​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  16. Domi092

Domi092 Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge @bestcee
    The photo taken is that of the belvedere which is the highest point located in the forest of Orléans (France). We often go there by bike.
    [​IMG]

17. Pups_r_Paps

Pups_r_Paps Well-Known Member

18. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

Wonderful challenge my dear! I really LOVE architecture, buildings and street lines, this it's my kinda challenge that I love. Here's my take on the challenge, full credits in gallery. Wishing you a very beautiful Sunday!
    [​IMG]

19. bestcee

Love seeing all the buildings from everyone! So many cool architecture choices!

20. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.