April Book Club: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by berniek, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

My electronic copy from Amazon has all the pictures.

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I just started this morning and was hooked in the prologue. Now I'm almost done with Chapter 2 and may very well finish the book this weekend. :)

3. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I just finished. The third book. I found after the first, I had to read them all to find out what happens. A peculiar book(s) indeed.

4. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Finished.....I would have enjoyed it ......if I was 10.
    I can understand, that for some of you who are teachers, or mums to young teens , this book would be enjoyable to read and talk about amongst yourselves.
    But for me , sorry ,but without writing any spoilers, I better not comment yet .

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Lindzee likes this.
  5. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

Oh, I know my grand daughter loves chapter and series books so I am going to jump on board! That way I know to recommend for her as she is only 9 but really advanced.
    I saw the movie previews and thought "dark and creepy" haha. I think reading it first will help.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

LOl...I am #40 on the waitlist at my library! It is definitely classed as Young Adult which goes from middle school on up round here.

I think I'm going to buy the 3-book set from amazon and then donate it all to the Washington DC boys school we buy books for. I asked my husband if we'd bought this one/set and he said it didn't ring any bell. I'd ask my granddaughters but they did most of their pre-teen books on their kindles so no chance of borrowing from them!

weaselwatchr and Lindzee like this.
  7. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting on my library copy so I'm hoping it becomes available soon.

8. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

maybe a bit more than ten. Some scenes are a bit violent and of questionable moral judgement - which I would not put on a ten year old without some discussion, but its a strange set of books. I found the story sometimes too sophisticated for pre-teens. Sometimes too silly or fast forward even for ten year olds. The author found a bunch of old photos and wove a story around them to glamorize and fit. Peculiar indeed.

9. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I had originally thought to suggest it to my 11 year old son, but after reading the first few chapters, I'm not impressed with a few references to "mom" jokes and other language and attitude with his friend. maybe it will get better as I go along but I'm only a little bit in yet. So far, I'm enjoying it though and if there are fewer of these inappropriate comments i'll probably continue to suggest my son read it. he likes these YA 'creepy' books.

10. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

depends on the child. my daughter is 9.5 and still fully believes. my son stopped WHEN he was 10. It all depends on what they're hearing at school, which is where they typically find out. My son said that when he was in 5th there were still girls who "claimed" they believed. though at the age of 11, I'm guessing they just want to believe, but I could be wrong.

11. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

Hi everyone. I decided to join in on this month's book. I had briefly heard of this a while back but it wasn't really on my radar until it was brought up here.

In general, I thought it was an entertaining read. And fast. I read the bulk of it yesterday and finished it this evening. I also think it will make an entertaining film and I'm always glad when I read the book before the film comes out. I do plan on reading the next two books too because once I start a series, I have to know how it all ends, lol!

That being said, I did have a few issues with it. At times, I had to remind myself who the intended audience was and at times, I wondered how a parent would allow their child to read this. The recommended age is listed at 13-17, which makes sense to me, but I was kind of surprised to see comments online about 9 and 10 year olds reading this.

I also had mixed feelings about the photos but I bet I'm on my own about this. They were definitely peculiar and creepy, which I guess was supposed to add to the story, but I felt they weren't really necessary. I understand that the story was written around the photos but in some cases, it seemed like a stretch to get a particular photo to fit and for me, the description of the photo was usually good enough.

Anyway, that's my two cents for now. Can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks!

Lindzee likes this.
  12. Nemla

Nearly Spoiler.
    There are several referrals to Santa. Personally I would be more concerned with the reference to a severed head in a fridge, or resurrecting people using animal hearts....

Lindzee likes this.
  13. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

You are quite right. References to Santa went right by me, but I did find resurrecting dead bodies for questioning very gruesome.

14. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

I'm 5 or 6 chapters in, and enjoying it, but not devouring it. I think the writing is great. I really have a feel of who Jacob is and what his personality is, and even his family members too.

Most young adult books I've read had female lead characters, so it is interesting to read from a boy's point of view.

15. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Sounds like I must add this to my list of recommended reads!

16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I read the first chapter on Amazon and then bought a copy of the book. Ready to start today...and yes, it seems delightfully weird! I was the girl who loved the grisly fairy tales...:crazy

17. Tiff

I finished the book today. I thought it was well written and entertaining. The photos did have a spooky quality, but I find that true of many old photographs. I understand that early photography required film to be exposed for a long time, so people hat to sit very still, and perhaps needed neutral facial expressions.

The thing about the photos that tripped me up was the comparison of their descriptions, their dialog, and then the pictures. The apparent ages in the photos seemed at odds with my mental picture of them. Maybe because the words "boy" and "girl" make me think of elementary school age children, even though they could equally apply to teenagers. I guess there was a little discussion by Jacob about their "ages," but I never really came to a conclusion about how I should expect these children to act: like children, or like grown ups, as they were all many decades old. It wasn't really clear to me.

18. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I am currently on book 2. I have read the first book twice. The first time was when it was first published. For those of you that have finished, you know why I was so angry with the ending. I read book one again right before I started book two. I am enjoying it so far.

19. Nemla

Frankly the ending didn't make me angry , or want to buy another book to see what happens next. I was happy to put it down after the last 2 or 3 chapters, never to open it again.

Lindzee likes this.
  20. Tiff

I feel similarly. Not sure if I will pursue the series. I felt the book had a nice closing. The book introduced the "world" in which it takes place, the dangers that need to be faced, and set the stage for the coming conflict.