Apps | Pad Patter 11.4

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Nov 4, 2018.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

So, I was just reading about an app called RunPee. It is an iPhone application that tells you when during a movie you can run to the bathroom without the risk of missing an important part of the plot. It uses a vibrate alert so that you don't bother others in the theater and it also tells you what you missed while you were gone. I swear, people think of everything to make into apps these days. I pretty much feel like I'm out of the loop when it comes to what's new and cool. I use the basics, but I'm wondering what other cool apps I'm missing out on. Outside of the social media ones and shopping ones, what other apps do you use and love?

2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

That's crazy! There's a few of my favorites for the kiddo's stuff- for school the Seesaw app (my son's teacher uploads pics & cute little videos to share with me!) and SportsEngine for their various sports teams.

My hubby's car has an app. The Tesla App is literally your key to the car. From the app you can turn on climate (heat/cool), open the trunk/frunk, lock/unlock, honk the horn, Limit speed/valet mode, See the car's location & even schedule maintenance appointments & software updates. It's the coolest! I also have a few other charging apps for the car that work for non-tesla chargers: Plugshare (lists ALL levels of chargers on a map & the community can post photos & review the chargers- super helpful on long road trips!) and Blink App (blink is a brand of chargers out there that you need an app to access the charger!)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I don't have any neat apps but I plan on following this thread just in case something is mentioned that I can't live without.

My hot new app is Happy Color - color by numbers and I find it so relaxing.

bellbird and IntenseMagic like this.
  4. IntenseMagic

Those are all super cool and I'm sure the Plugshare is really helpful! I haven't heard of Seesaw or SportsEngine, but they both sound awesome!

bellbird likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

One of my really good friends and my granddaughter both love the color by number apps! My friend suffered a traumatic brain injury about a year ago and that app was recommended to her by one of her therapists.

bellbird likes this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I use PhotoGrid quite a bit, for putting collages on Instagram and making holiday pictures to post.

bellbird and IntenseMagic like this.
  7. IntenseMagic

I do have that one and use it fairly often, especially for doing then/now photos. I also used it the other day to do a side-by-side of my grandson and my daughter when she was his age.

bellbird and Cherylndesigns like this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh, it's great for those!!

9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've already talked about one of my favorite apps, Day One, in a few posts recently, including HERE and HERE, so I'll think of another. :think
    Words With Friends, a scrabble game you play with real people or a computer, is one of my oldest favorites, one of the first apps I ever downloaded when I first got a phone in November 2013. I still love the game, but I'm sad to say I've let it fall to the wayside.
    My other favorite word game is Word Wow Around The World (there are other versions of Word Wow too that are fine, but Around the World is the most visually pleasing). I just enjoy making words. I like it so much I created an entire scrapbook page about Word Wow last March.

I have to say I love my Kindle app too, because I'm a lifelong lover of books but also have grown to dislike having a lot of stuff (I may slowly become a minimalist) so I love that I can carry around a large number of books in my pocket.

The Kings Dominion app for my closest amusement park and the Smugmug app have been very useful to me at one time or another as well.

My favorite collage app is Pic Stitch. I use it when I occasionally want to include multiple photos on one page in my Day One journal.

The best podcast app is Overcast. That's an app I open almost every day since I got into podcasts last fall. I listen while I walk and while I do housework.

I have 6 pages of apps as you can see in my scrapbook layout I made about this very topic last June but that just about covers my favorite, can't-live-without apps. I mean, many others are useful too, but in a more limited way. And I didn't bother to mention ones I like that I expect you already know about like the map app (I love geography!) and Instagram.

Now time for me to read the other replies and see if I'm missing out on any interesting apps. :D

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. IntenseMagic

I have Words with Friends, but haven't played in a long while. I also downloaded Wow Wow Around the World after you mentioned it in another thread and have played it quite a bit :) I do love my Kindle app on the iPad and I used to use Day One a while back and am not sure why I quit lol.

I download theme park apps and things while we are there and then delete them after. I need to check out Overcast, because there are a few podcasts I do like to listen to. I have quite a few that I just use from time to time and for some reason I have more photography ones than any other, but I just don't use them all that often. I need to dig in to them and see what I'm missing.

11. michelepixels

In your last sentence I'm not sure if you were still talking about podcasts (some about photography) or other apps, but if you would like some app recommendations I can share my favorites of those too. :)

In alphabetical order, because I'm just copying from the list in my Overcast app, and stars next to my most favorites.
    99% Invisible
    The Anthropocene Reviewed *****
    Ask Me Another
    The Brainfood Show
    The Day One Podcast
    Dear Hank and John *****
    Hidden Brain *****
    Freakonomics Radio
    Harry Potter and the Sacred Text
    Lore *****
    REROOT with Eamon and Bec *****
    Stuff You Should Know *****
    TED Radio Hour *****
    TED Talks Daily *****
    The American Life
    Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! *****

Wait Wait was my first podcast I ever listened to regularly. I started listening to it on the radio before I even knew what podcasts were. :)

Feel free to ask for more details about any of these if you'd like. And now I think I have another scrapbook page idea. I haven't scrapped about my favorite podcasts yet!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. michelepixels

That teacher - parent app sounds neat. And that car app sounds awesome! You are living in the future compared to me. I wouldn't feel like my 2004 Toyota Sienna van is old -- it's still in great shape! -- except when I read about all these new features cars have nowadays. :wub

amien1 likes this.
  13. IntenseMagic

I absolutely love TED Talks! I am definitely going to check out the others! Thanks so much for the recommendations!

michelepixels likes this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I think my most used app the last 3 months has been a bubble shooter game. LOL It's mindless and I love just checking out for a bit.

My other daily apps are Spotify (I have premium) for music and the app for YouTube.

I have about 6 different apps from Relaxio for meditation and sounds.

The one photo app I use is Aviary, when I do use a photo app. I still prefer to do my editing on my computer with large screens.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Oh man- this car makes my 2015 GMC Acadia seem archaic (especially when I have to put GAS in it!) ;) It's the way of the future for sure- and SO fun to drive!

michelepixels and IntenseMagic like this.
  16. IntenseMagic

Same. I have tons of photo editing apps, but seldom open them. I like to edit once I get them on the computer.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  17. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

Our teacher uses a similar app called ClassDojo. I love receiving the photos/videos of my daughter's day. For sports, we have used GroupMe for the coaches to pass out info and for parents to ask questions for the group to see. Our schools also use RemindMe to send out notifications on upcoming events or important dates.

Other apps I have - grocery store apps, Spotify, banking apps, Starbucks and couponing apps. I use Snapseed for editing photos. And there's an Alpaca World game on my phone for my daughter to play whenever she uses my phone and doesn't have her tablet with her.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

There's a cool app called "Year in Pixels" (it's Android, not sure about Apple) that I want to start using. Every day, you pick one of 5 ways to describe your overall mood for the day, then it adds it to a graph. Then at the end of the year, you can see how your mood was for the whole year based on the colors.

I also use Exposure Calculator for long exposure photography. It's a little complicated though. I haven't mastered it yet.

Other than that, I use boring apps.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. IntenseMagic

Seriously, our coaches around here need to check out some of these apps instead of the incessant group texts they do lol
    Our school does the Remind app. I've tried it and ClassDojo, and for some reason I cannot get parents to sign up for it. It's amazing how much less parents are involved at the high school level.

20. IntenseMagic

I just checked and Year in Pixels is available for Apple. I'm definitely going to check it out, it sounds super cool!