Anyone using a new M1 MacBook for Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by familybees, Jan 4, 2021.

1. familybees

familybees Member

I am just drooling over the new M1 MacBooks! :) I have a 15-inch 2013 MacBook Pro that is still going strong except that it needs a new battery, so it has to be on the charger constantly and it gets so hot I have to put a blanket on my lap! Anyway... I am so ready to get a new one!

I know I should wait for the M1 (or M1X, M2, or whatever they end up calling it) 16" MBP to come out, but I'm really tempted to go ahead and get a 13" M1 MBP. I'm worried the smaller screen will be a deal-breaker. I like working with 2-page spreads. Also, will 16gb of RAM be enough? That's how much I have now... seems like a new computer should have more than one that's nearly 8 years old. No doubt the new 16-inch will have much bigger options, not to mention new discrete graphics.

I was really hoping the 16-inch would be released in early 2021, but all the predictions I'm seeing are saying *maybe* fall. Sigh... :) Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone else already jump on the M1?

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yes, it should! That's actually what I have on my desktop. My guess would be you went for the most when you bought the 2013 MBP? 16GB is mostly the standard on laptops now, it used to be 8GB. We had a discussion about RAM in a thread about a new desktop, and most of us scrappers have 16GB.

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oh, and sorry. I don't Mac, so the only other opinion I would have is I don't think I could do 13". The laptop I use occasionally is 19" or 17" I can't remember, and I don't think I could go smaller. I hate helping my mom on her Windows Surface 13". But I'm spoiled now because I use 2 screens.

4. familybees

familybees Member

Thanks! I think I agree... the smaller screen just won't cut it. I just wish Apple would hurry up and release the bigger ones! :D

bestcee likes this.