Anyone use PSP to edit photos?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LynnZant, Apr 2, 2020.

1. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

My 14 year old version of Paint Shop Pro worked great, but I just tried 2020 to edit my photos. I used to just crop, edit, close, and yes to save changes. Now, it asks me if I want to replace the existing photo (yes) but then I have to use a slider to adjust the compression or quality or something. When I slide it over to the best, it adds around 3MB to a 5MB photo. If I don't slide it and leave it at default (good), then it reduces my file greatly.

I've tried to research this, but no one out there seems to want me to save my files as JPEGs any more. I'm a dinosaur and like them like that! ha ha I don't want huge file sizes for every photo because of the volume of photos and disk space, but I don't want them so small I can't scrap with them.

Am I missing something? I've looked in settings but didn't see anything. PSE just doesn't have the neat tools PSP has. I like my little toothbrush. :)

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I don't use PSP 2020 but I do use PSP. So I don't know if they have made changes since X8 which is the version I use.

If I edit a photo, I never save it over the original, is that what you are doing? I will use the "Save As" and give it a new name keeping the slider at best quality for compression.

However, when I save my layout files as JPEG's, I use the JPEG Optimizer and not "Save As". I can set the compression value to a smaller size (normal pspimage uncompressed file is around 49.44MB and I set the compression value to 13 which gives me file sizes of 2.5 to 3 MB.)

By the way... I agree. PSP has lots of neat little tools. I tried several times and just could not get PSE at all.

Also, Corel has user forums at forum.corel.com. I read over there to see what changes are made to the program every year as well as issues users are having. There might be something there that will help you.

3. LynnZant

Yes, I want to save over the old file. I have no use for it once I've edited it plus I take so many photos the space needed is just too much to keep two copies.

It sounds like I have 14 years of catching up to do. lol Maybe for now, I'll just crank up that slider and deal with the large file. I jumped from PSE5 to PSE2020 and finally got comfortable with that. Now I need to re-learn PSP.

4. HavaDrPepper

Here is another resource for PSP information. The gal that owns the site might be able to answer your question.

https://scrapbookcampus.com/

I guess we differ in the fact that I never edit and replace my original files. I just tried to crop, edit, and close a photo (thank goodness for that backup copy) in X8 and I didn't get a slider so that must be something they have added in the last 5 years. Yep, X8 was released in 2015.

Sorry I couldn't help.

5. LynnZant

I just did some reading in the Corel forum you suggested, and lots of people are complaining about 2020 not being stable, lagging, etc. Lovely!

Thanks for the links!

6. HavaDrPepper

Yeah, that's why I haven't upgraded from X8! I used to upgrade about every other version. I found that forum and would look to see what people were saying about new versions and would let them get the bugs out before upgrading. Then it came down to the additional things added to the program weren't things that I needed so I decided to wait another year. It's been 5! I still have X7 so will use it once in awhile if something goes haywire in X8. Every once in awhile I have a problem with opening a pspimage file in X8 but can do it in X7 then save and it opens in X8. I think it is with really old ones from earlier versions (yep, I keep them all... that's what EHD's are good for).

There are older versions available on Amazon... X9, 2018, and 2019 if you want to get a more stable version.

7. LynnZant

I do miss my old version. I don't even know which one it was. I remember it wasn't Corel but Jasc or something when I first got it in 2006. I spent so much money on everything after my hard drive failed, that I'll make do with 2020 for now. I just thought it was something simple I was missing. I just won't take as many photos. lol

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

Jasc was the original publisher of the software. Interesting back story on the history of it. I first started with it in the mid-90's, version 3 maybe. Got it as a shareware program and have been using it ever since. Even took online classes to learn how to use it. Sadly, those days are long gone. The 2 instructors of the classes went on to write books on how to use it. Learned a lot from them and their books. Both were very involved with JASC as well. When it was sold to Corel, that relationship apparently ended.