Anyone low carbing it?

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by bcgal00, Sep 24, 2013.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Sometimes I struggle with snacks and quick meals. Any ideas?

2. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

I wish I could help but I suck at snacks, too lazy. My usual snack is nuts, usually too many too since I just grab the whole jar...I also like peanut butter and bananas in a low carb wrap, protein smoothies. Would love to hear some new ideas...

3. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

we do low carb and no sugar and have found these tortillas saved the day for meals.
    [​IMG]
    I love the tomato basil, and spinach ones. They are very pliable! lol I stuff all kinds of meat into them.
    I also make a cole slaw with vinegar, mayo and splenda that is perfect for crunch.
    We do pork (pulled) and that goes a long way.
    chicken (in crock pot) for dinner, left overs lunch in chicken salad.
    I eat a lot of pickles and cheese sticks!
    cheese on cucumbers (instead of crackers)
    I don't count fruit, so I also cut apples and have with cheese
    I eat a ton of dired cranberries at my desk
    tacos, no tortilla on a huge bed of lettuce and brocolli!
    and cauliflower really is a good mash pot...I add a few red pots, cause they are better, and then toss in some bacon! lol
    just remember...
    cheese is a binder, and remember to have fiber (we use chia seeds and flax in about everything)

4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Lisa - I like peanut butter too....too much unfortunately. I often grab a jar of PB and grab about 4 tbsp for a snack which is just too many carbs and calories. I need to put the jar of PB down :)

Anne - I should make coleslaw. I could have a small bowl of that with a bit of turkey salami coil for a snack/light lunch. That would be good. I do use a lot of cauliflower and just started making the cauliflower rice which I like a lot. I'll keep my eyes open for low carb wraps, havent' seen any in our stores though.

5. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I eat low carb for blood sugar reasons, so it's starchy carbs I avoid - not naturally occurring ones in vegetables or dairy. I eat nuts (peanuts and cashews) for snacks, a lot of dairy (cottage cheese, string cheese, yogurt) and plain meats - like I'll wrap some cheese and sandwich meat up together and just eat them that way. Celery and peanut butter probably more than any human should eat. Ummm... Beef sticks and beef jerky, although I get them from a local butcher shop and they don't add sugary fillers or marinades to them. Beef jerky, especially, can sometimes have a fair amount of sugar because of the marinade they use. And mason jar salads... I eat those as snacks a ton.

ETA : I buy unsweetened natural PB, so that's a zero carb other than the celery, which I don't count.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

oh thanks so much for this!!!!
    I have been laxing for the longest time on the diabetes diet, but I went to the second eye screening since I was diagnosed last year, and to be honest, the way I was eating, I doubted the results would be clear...but they are. Both eyes, so I decided to take it as a blessing and started eating better....we do have unswettened , whole peanut butter here so that will do instead of the 100s packets of Reese's I was gobing....

Rae: Sarita turned vegetarian a few years ago, though I still eat meat, rarely cook it at home and we switched to Quorn (lot less calories than meats), which is great to cook (direct from frozen) and the mince meat not only has the same texture, but I have fooled most of my carnivorous friends with cottage pies & lasagnas they didn't know they weren't eating meat until we told them ....

I make lots of Mexican kind of food for quick fixes, which will include the tortillas Anne showed.
    I'll put together a recipe for the tacos filling and sides & both Fajitas & Enchiladas we make, will come back post, I m of to finish the art journal challenges

7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

TTpeachcrumbpie.jpg
    I made this layout when I was on Mo Jackson's team so I cannot post it in the gallery, but when I lived up in NY I was on a program similar to Weight Watchers which was a High Protein, low carb low sugar diet.. (similar to Atkins too I guess) anyway this was a go to desert for me making the crumb topping from powered skim milk... The peach crumb pie was always so yummy and I loved it. Perhaps that will help... The "Live it" I have been on since 2009 has been a portion control/exercise program so I have small, small,
    portions of carb if I am going to have any at all.. I am thankful to say I have maintained my 103 pound weight loss now for almost 2 years, having gotten to my goal 1/16/2012. Hope this desert will help those cravings :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  8. cfile

Another favorite of mine is this Ukranian Chicken dish: another layout while on Mo Jackson's team

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  9. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Christa! everytime I read 103 pounds I am more inspired to get 23 more pounds off!! YOU really really do inspire me!

10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Peppermint - its mostly starchy carbs I avoid too along with most grains. I eat a lot of yogurt, cheese, nuts, veggies and protein.
    Christa - those recipes sound good. I do like cauliflower mash and do eat a lot of chicken.
    Cynthia - I went vegetarian for about a yr (about 10 years ago) but couldn't sustain it. I missed having red meat. I can eat tofu and meat substitutes but not all the time.

I made flax seed/parmesan crackers last night and they were good. I need to tweak the proportions a bit though next time b/c they were a bit too wet. I need to add less water and cook a bit longer. I didn't measure exactly. I started with 1 c flax and 3/4 c parmesan, adding in garlic, seasoned salt and onion powder. But then I added a bit more flax/water as I was trying to get what I thought would be the right consistency and it ended up being too runny. They are still edible though and I enjoyed a flew squares with some spinach dip tonight. The whole batch was 5 carbs according to the recipe I found but didn't have calorie counts. I haven't been counting calories though, just eating healthy and low carb.

11. cfile

I did not count calories either Rae... and I still don't although I do have a frappuccino every now and again at Starbucks as a treat.. that has WAY too many calories even though I do not count... LOL.. I just did portion control. As long as what you are eating is yummy (even small portions) you aren't depriving yourself.. hubby makes homemade ice cream.. I get a teaspoon of it, and I am happy.. all I need sometimes is a taste. I will tell you my body CRAVES salads... use of spices to kick things up a notch, always makes it taste gourmet too.. funny I like eating at home more than going out! The food is so much better at home and cheaper too!!

12. cfile

:) Anne- you look wonderful!! I fluctuate now with a 5 pound up or down, but that is normal.. I just check weekly anyway so I can adjust and stay on track. As long as I can fit in my clothes that are now what I have owned for 2.5 years without having to buy new I am happy.. now I splurge on scrapping stuff every now and again instead of running to Kohls for a sale.. [of course it helps I am retired now so I don't need to buy work clothes! Ha!]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Christa - I crave salads too! My fave is mixed greens, tomatoes, celery, peppers, radishes, boiled egg, sliced chicken, almonds and a dressing of half plain greek yogurt and ranch. YUM!

14. rfeewjlj

rfeewjlj Only ONE N, people, ONE!

I have a few snacks up my sleeve as I, too, am doing no sugar, low carb etc. I, as well, enjoy celery w/ pb, mozz sticks, cucumber slices w/ a garlic basil cream cheese spread topped w/ a slice of pepperoni, nuts, etc. Another easy lunch I make is baked mozz sticks. I cut the sticks in half and then dip them in butter and then in a mixture of almond flour and parm cheese w/ basil, garlic powder, and whatever suits my fancy at the time. Place them on a well greased pan and bake at 400 for 8 min and then for another 3 after flipping them. I make my own sugar free marinara sauce to dip them in and then have some veggies along w/ it. :) If your mozz sticks are super fresh, they can spread out a lot when baking so you might need to freeze them first before breading them if you don't want them to do that.

15. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Jen...I like the idea of cucumber with cream cheese and pepperoni and I should try my own mozza sticks. I have almond flour and parm cheese. I should try that this wkend.

16. rfeewjlj

rfeewjlj Only ONE N, people, ONE!

It's super good! It's a regular lunch item for me when I don't have leftovers. I would eat salads more but I am still having issues finding a dressing I like since most have sugar and almost all have vinegar (me and too much vinegar do not get along). I also wish I could find lunch meat that didn't have sugar. Almost all ham and turkey cold cuts do. If any of you know of any brands of lunch meat or sausage that don't have sugar, that would be awesome for you to share!!

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm reading the New Atkins cookbook now and am going to try some of the recipes for salad dressings.

18. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

i have to watch sodium level and anything prepared or cheese really spikes it :(

19. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm ok with salt (have low BP so salt helps to raise it) and dont' eat a ton of cheese so have no problem with that.