Anyone else severely behind?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges Nine - 2021' started by littlekiwi, Jan 15, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

For those of us who are severely behind, what is your game plan for catching up?

I’ve done the first 4 then came to a grinding halt after that. Part of it is I’ve had other things to do but even without that I feel I’ve hit a wall after starting pretty well.

mnjenlittle likes this.
  2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I usually start from today and work backwards, failing that choose the easiest for you and just get it done.
    Tick it off and make the next one. Hugs to you...

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

This was me last year. I just wasn't feeling it. This year I didn't even start until the 7th or 8th and was able to catch up. And now I haven't finished anything for this week. lol It is an ebb and flow. Try to find a great challenge and go with that. I am having a hard time with all the journaling, and I am usually a journaler. Just not so prolific. hahahaha Good luck! Do what ever you do for the fun of it!

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. CindyB

CindyB Proud to be a Hoofer!

After only completing 5 challenges last year, I knew I couldn't fall behind. That was totally my downfall... I agree, even if you have to go out of order, pick a challenge that inspires you and just go with it!

Vrielinkie and keepscrappin like this.
  5. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I not only haven't started, I've also stopped looking at the new challenges. At this point, I'm overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the ones I haven't seen yet. It sounds nice to pick and choose out of order, and might work if I had at least kept up with what they were each day, but now it's just too much to go through.

Maybe we could start an encouragement thread for people that are more than seven challenges behind (or whatever, I just picked a week because I know some people do them in batches).

I think the way you approach being "way behind" is different than what you do when you are just "catching up" and it could benefit all of us "behind" people to have our own spot. Or it could fail spectacularly because we are all too busy scrapping to talking about what we're doing. LOL

mnjenlittle and keepscrappin like this.
  6. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

I decided to just pick the ones that I felt like doing, or intrigued me - just for fun. I don't think it's feasible for me to finish and participate in real life. I'm not going to pressure myself to do pages without a purpose just for the sake of it. Realistically, after 15 years of digi scrapping I have enough supplies that I need never buy anything again (like that's going to happen ;-) ), so it's not going to be the end of the world if I don't earn a gift certificate.

I've done 4 days (out of order) so far and there are a few more that I'd like to do.

Amson likes this.
  7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@littlekiwi @sakura-panda

You've got company here. I'm only 6 days behind now... :giggle I just posted yesterday's filled challenge this morning... phew!

Like others have said start with today's challenge and work backwards or go to Anne's MOC list and pick one that speaks to you. Don't overthink it and just follow the challenge steps and get it on the page! If you're playing for the GC, make the layout to compliance and move on. You can always go back and change it to your liking later or never if you don't want to. :giggle

For the journaling challenges, pick your story and either make the layout and add the journaling later or start with the journaling and make the page around it... whichever way works best for you.

I was struggling to get my 2021 calendar ready for Shutterfly. I got an email from Shutterfly on late Tuesday night that I had a free calendar, but the code ended on Wednesday. Well, that really lit a fire under me. I opened PSE to a 11x8 canvas and searched through my 2020 layouts to find a layout bring over and modify for each month. I got 6 months done Tuesday night. That left 6 months and a cover to do before the code ended the next day. The next day I finished up modify layouts for the months I had 12x12 layouts for and picked 1 photo for the needed months and did simple layouts with them. I also did a simple calendar cover. I was surprised that I was able finish my the art journaling diary challenge layout and 7 layouts for my calendar that day! I was able to make dinner and these 5 layouts mostly from scratch (well I used a template for some) in just 3 hours that evening. I'm a slow scrapper, but the shutterfly deadline made me keep it simple and use templates and 1-2 kits to speed scrap these. Once I got in a grove, the layouts just poured out of me. That doesn't usually happen, but by letting go of perfection and limiting supplies and having the deadline, I got it done! :agree
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Remember, don't be too hard on yourself. That can actually make it worse and kill your mojo. I don't know how you scrap, but if the challenge allows, start with the template and find a photo and then a kit. That works for the template challenges and the filled challenge. Definitely check out Cheryl's Fiddle-Dee-Dee {dressed up} templates for the filled challenge. She does all the layers and clustering for you so depending on the template you really wouldn't have to add much to get 2/3 full. For today's clean & simple challenge, I'm going to either start with a photo or a kit since templates aren't allowed.

I know it's easier said than done, but just take baby steps and do it. Don't sabotage yourself by getting discouraged that you're behind. This reminds me of the how do you eat an elephant question? Answer: One bite at a time!
    [​IMG]

You can do this! We're here cheering you on!

Frumpje, KayTeaPea and mnjenlittle like this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm behind a bit.
    On Day 10, I was behind 6, 8, 9, 10. So, I jotted on a post it note each number and a brief descriptions.
    6 - torn title
    8 - one hue
    9- bokeh
    10 - title no letters

Then I sat down last Sunday night and looked at them. I knew what photo I wanted for bokeh. I knew I'd want a big kit with lots of 1 color for one hue, because recoloring isn't my strength. I had no idea what to do for 6. I wasn't positive on what to do with 10.
    I looked at it time-wise too. I knew that 10, 8, and 6 would take me a little longer. So, I decided to start with the one hue. Then, to make myself feel better time wise I moved on to bokeh (remember, I knew the photo, and I used Kim's bokeh overlays). That one was quick. Then I moved to the Day 10, because while I was looking at the one hue, I found some cute pirate photos and figured that would be fun letters for my title.
    That was the time I had, so I still have Day 6 to do.
    This week, I did the speed scrap, so I did Day 14. I did Day 11 because that was my challenge (gotta get comments done!).
    Now, I'm looking ahead at this weekend and the time I have to scrap. I need to do
    6 - torn title
    12 - Art Journaling Diary
    13 - Mirror Photo
    15 - Clean and Simple.
    I made a note this week about the mirror photo, because I knew I would want light for that. Plus, I had to find the mirror! I did that today.

I wasn't sure about Day 12, but I think I know what I want to do know. So, tomorrow when I have time, my plan is:
    13 - Mirror Photo - I have the photo, and the idea, so that will be quick.
    15 - Clean and Simple - Something I should be able to do quick. Just need to check for a photo.
    6 - torn title - it might take me a little longer, but I really want to get this one down. Still thinking about the title.
    12 - I know where I want to go with this now, so I just need to write and decorate.

For me, having a plan that balances my time and the amount of time each layout will take me helps me to stay focused and be accomplished.

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@littlekiwi @sakura-panda

I have completed challenges 1, 2, 7 and 14. I completed 7 and 14 during my live scrap sessions.

I'm dealing with radiation burns and radiation fatigue. I still have chronic back pain that is part of the struggle, too. Every single one of us has something going on in real life that can be a roadblock to successfully creating layouts. Just know you are not alone!

My plan is to create all weekend to get caught up. DH is on weekend duty, I don't have any family obligations this weekend, and I've been trying to get caught up on chores today so that I don't have anything weighing on me when I'm trying to scrap. The biggest help I can give myself is setting time to create. I know most of my layouts take me between 30 minutes to an hour, so I'll need 13 hours to be caught up and ready to start with Monday's challenge. I'm not going to focus on the total amount of time. I'm going to just pick one challenge and one hour and go for it. Like @keepscrappin said . . . one bite at a time!

I'll come back later and post my progress . . . maybe it will help?

10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Yes. I think I have 6 done. But, I hope to catch up this weekend. Things have been busy and stressful for us recently, but less so coming up.

bestcee likes this.
  11. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I don't want to hijack this thread more than I already have, because I came into MOC knowing that I would not be able to complete all of the pages (while simultaneously hoping this would be the year I *did* finish them all. It's always the real goal.)

I appreciate the sentiments and all of the advice and I hope that the OP can use some of it to give herself a boost. I only wish I had more to offer.

Personally, I find that it goes faster to tackle them one at a time as presented and not waste time evaluating the ones not yet read. I follow the minimum requirements and then I move on. Nearly all of the challenges are not of my style and I don't dwell on it. They always look nice one at a time in my digital frame! (I haven't tried to line any up in my albums yet, although I'm sure they would do just fine there too. They only seem to look different to me because my style is three or more photos and most MOC challenges are one or two.)

I think this approach doesn't work for most people so I usually keep it to myself. My current problem/snag is software related, but I think I've finally resolved that and I will be starting my MOC challenges soon.

keepscrappin and bestcee like this.
  12. littlekiwi

I am hoping to get caught up but honestly it’s a toss up between computer time or resting as I deal with chronic fatigue (both physical fatigue and brain fog) thanks to sleep issues on a daily basis. Any computer time I do have is spent doing job applications but probably 75% of my free time is spent resting (for not much gain I might add as I usually feel just as bad or possibly worse anyway). I’ve got about a week to ten days of digi purchases to download that I haven’t yet.

13. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

@littlekiwi maybe those purchases will give you some inspiration. New toys are always fun to play with.

bestcee likes this.
  14. littlekiwi

Pretty sure they were bought for MOC challenges anyway. It’s just by the time I unzip them, I’m too fatigued to do much more, hence why they haven’t been downloaded yet (I do 99% of my stuff on my phone at the moment as I can be horizontal while doing it). Hoping the fatigue starts to lift this coming week but as I’m 18 months into this, it could take awhile to be ‘human’ again

15. littlekiwi

Started too late to really make progress as family will be home very soon. I've done the journaling for day 11, all 1077 words of it!....just not sure what kit to use for it yet as its not the nicest subject to scrap about.

bestcee, chastml and gonewiththewind like this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Pick a neutral. Don't overthink it! That challenge isn't about the product, it's about the story. Add a few little elements and move to the next one!

17. Firstoscartgrouch

Firstoscartgrouch Save the salmon, and the lemon butter!

I’m at 5 done 16 days in, I am having fun, I won’t feel bad if I don’t finish by the 1st,as I have already learned things. I used the torn letters for a CT team lo.

Cherylndesigns and julianz like this.
  18. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

I've been working HARD this weekend to catch up on the ones I have falling behind with. Still got #11 left besides today's challenge. I really, really, REALLY am not the journaling type so a story of 500 words doesn't come easy for me. I have to dwell on that one a while....
    Good luck everyone on catching up! We can do this! <3

Cherylndesigns and cfile like this.
  19. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm debating whether to keep going or not. I want to, I have time to, and I love the challenges. It's kits I'm struggling with. My favorite TLP designers have either retired or barely released anything in the last year or two. Many of the kits that I want to use with certain photos aren't in the store, and the photos that I do have current TLP kits for don't work with the challenges. Do I struggle to make layouts with kits that aren't what I really want to be using for those photos even though I have the perfect kit that isn't MOC-eligible? Is it worth it just to say I finished MOC? I've done 13 challenges, and I don't think I can manage 18 more using my current photos and kits. In the past I've shopped a lot during MOC and I'd planned to do that this year, too, but with everything going on it seems like not much is being released. I think I'm going to take a break for now. I'll see if any of next week's new releases solve my problems or if a challenge comes along where I have both the right photo and the right kit, but I don't think I'm going to finish this year. :(

julianz likes this.
  20. morgyns

morgyns Well-Known Member

I only started Last Wednesday night as the first 2 weeks were super busy and I had no mojo every time I sat down to start. I have managed to catch up over the weekend plus the kiddos stayed with their grandma 1 night, which gave me some extra time. I just posted day 17 this morning and happy to be back on track. My problem is I have to do them in order and refuse to even look ahead at what the next ones are, as then I just start planning those instead of doing 1 at a time lol.

bestcee likes this.