Anyone else not taking a daily approach?

Discussion in 'Document Your December Layouts' started by RebeccaH, Dec 20, 2015.

1. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Exactly what happened in my case last year.

bestcee and RebeccaH like this.
  2. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I like a bit of structure but also like a lot of leeway too, which allows for varying degrees of effort to complete KWIM? I like having a plan....but I want it to be structured in a way that allows a little or a lot of effort in my part. Many times I have every intention on completing a project but halfway through I get busy with other things, life gets busy, unexpected things happen that prevent me from finishing and that bums me out.

So.....a list of prompts gives me ideas of photos to take, stories to tell, while allowing me to pick and choose as I please. My DYD book may be a few pages or tons of pages....it will be whatever I end up with at the end of the month (actually, January....b/c I want to try for Dec 31st as my last page, which will be about New Years).

This is really getting me excited about starting!

RebeccaH likes this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I love the idea of hybrid but by keeping mine all digi it makes it an easier task for me to complete....but I love the feel of a printed out hybrid book. As a traditional paper scrapbooker years ago, I remember the fun of working with paper, glue, scissors, etc but those days are pretty much over for me except for really small projects.

carilyne likes this.
  4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

THIS. This is where I am. My first year was too structured... a true daily approach with something Christmas every. single. day. I felt compelled to create things to do for that day if we weren't doing something already. It was too rigid. The next year? Once again, I have no clue what happened with that one. I have a title page, but that might be it... lol! Last year had too little structure... it made it hard to stay on track and to actually work on the project.

I think a list of prompts allows me document events when we have events, but have a list of other things to choose from during those down times to keep the momentum going.

bcgal00 likes this.
  5. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I did want to mention the kit that brought me to the Lilypad. It's an older one of Sara Gleason's & Crystal Lindsey, but it has 12 well worded prompts (not just short ones) and 12 templates. It's pretty good, although I haven't finished one but I'll be using some of it this year I think
    [​IMG]

6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

These are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

For now, I do a daily page from when we decorate my parents' house/the weekend after Thanksgiving through the last family celebration (which is usually the weekend after Christmas). My kids are still little & believe in Santa, and the Christmas season has been the highlight of my life the last few years as we've struggled with employment, moving, etc. Half of the fun of Christmas is getting to plan all the activities that we participate in.

When my kids are older & things have settled down for us, I might go to a less rigid non-daily structure. I know of a designer who is releasing some templates next Friday that cover December 1-25 in just four pocket-style pages, and I will probably use those to scrap our Christmases the years before I knew abt December Daily.

8. Toria

Toria Active Member

I do it all ( or 90%) on my phone, either traditional or PL pages. I kinda do a mix of very "day in the life" kind of page, or a story about a tiny moment of the day or something I want to remember. My DYD is about 45% holiday themed, and I go all the way to 12/31. My daughters birthday is Christmas Morning, so its a big month for me!

9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

One year I did a lot of my childhood Christmas photos in an 8x8 size. Sadly, looking at that I really wasn't great at resizing etc back then but hey, it got done! Each page was different and a lot of stories were told. Last year I did a 6x8 2-pager album as I wanted a smaller size and I had a bunch of templates and made/modified a lot. It was two pages and the card I used for each day was my biggest challenge...getting it modified with the right date for each day. Prep work would have helped! I often had a full page shot each day which made the fuller page easy. I did pick a bunch of things to use back in November so I did have a lot of it thought out. Glitter styles were my main element! Since my days were kind of ordinary, glitzing them up made it more Christmasy.

15 day 6 B.jpg 15 day 12.jpg 15 day 20.jpg 15 day 22.jpg

I really did enjoy making this album and planned to do the same for this year. However with a vacation mid December I think I'll be sticking to PL and then decide on the vacation pages once I get home.

meterr likes this.
  10. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

As someone with grown-up children and no grandchildren, I've struggled with doing something Christmas-y everyday. So - light bulb moment! If I DYD those days we do something Christmas-y and supplement with pages about memories from Christmas past, I just might be able to do the entire month. :)

meterr, gwtwred and Iowan like this.
  11. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Me too, I'm retired and only see the grandkids on Fridays so my pages occur in bursts, but I do make collections of holiday pages, just not in real order. I love the Christmas past idea.

12. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I was thinking of doing weekly. I dont drive, and hubby works all week, so im limited on places we can go during the week. Some days I just get stuck at home doing nothing scrapworthy. If we do happen to have a week full of events, id like to do them separately instead of one big layout with several events on it. I like to see each event spotlighted in its own layout I guess.

13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm going with a "Moments" approach. Because sometimes we do a bunch on one day. And somedays we do nothing at all. And some of them were in November (decorating the tree). So, I'm aiming for 25 or so Moments from this season.

meterr likes this.
  14. destiney1

destiney1 Well-Known Member

i decided this year that i would do 25 best things about december. i have all these cute count down style kits and i really love that feel. ill still go in chronological order but not focus on days. im trying hybrid this year. well im making all my pages in 12x12 and then a copy in 6x8 that will fit full page in my album and probably print some 4x6 or 3x4 that i journaled over in my book. since my writing is horrible. but then i can still add all the memorabilia. or maybe just print out a separate all digital book i just cant decide! i look back at all the cute christmas stuff like the kids letters n stuff and i see it all degrading :( so i really pushes me away from a regular dd album. but i love all the actual touch n feel of real items. ahh im so torn