Anyone else not taking a daily approach?

Discussion in 'Document Your December Layouts' started by RebeccaH, Dec 20, 2015.

1. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

So, I LOVE DYD! I love the warm and fuzzy nostalgic feel of the traditions and stories of the holiday. However, I just don't approach my DYD day by day. I find that some days I have 3 or 4 stories to tell, and other days I have nothing to tell.

Anyone else do it this way, or is everyone a Day 1- Day 25 DYD'er?

MrsPeel likes this.
  2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I'm an event/activity DYDer. I just can't do daily... too much on some days, absolutely nothing Christmasy on others. I was doing really well with my book and then we left for the break on Saturday... I didn't get my DYD packed up (ran out of time and figured it was the least critical of all of things I needed to pack) and I have no access to a printer until we're back on 1/2. I'm afraid I'm not going to get it finished... sigh.

MrsPeel and Tree City like this.
  3. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I just decided one layout. :giggle
    I am thinking I have more stories to tell, but I can't do it right now. Mentally, I mean. It'll be a different time I need to finish it. :)

4. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

I am doing it like this too!! Chronological but just momens to moment instead of day to day. Ive only just started putting it together but I'll share when it's ready...in January probably lol

RebeccaH likes this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm not going to do a daily page, instead I am going to do do a variety of pages, a mix of current and past memories.

RebeccaH likes this.
  6. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

The last couple of years, I've done the daily thing, but I don't scrap each photo. I'll do one double page spread with all my pictures on it.

7. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

I have never made it through a December. I like Fiddle Dee's templates and ideas done on the layouts with a variety of topics. I'm trying not to set myself up for disappointment. So maybe story to story is a good idea with the favorites thrown in.

bestcee likes this.
  8. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I'm not scrapping a December daily. I think I will write it in my planner though! I've been doing grateful/gratitude in November in my planner, and I'm liking that approach, vs a whole new project, at least for now. :)

9. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I don't do daily because I've just come to realize I can't really do anything daily. :giggle We have lots of things we do on the two days my daughter has off each week, so I just document "moments."

bestcee likes this.
  10. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

Rebecca, never let a form, format, structures or templates dictate your narrative flow.

carilyne likes this.
  11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I just finished as in today woot my 2015 dyd. It is 34 pages. so much. Six are from just jaimees weekly templates from last year. I have maybe 4 double spreads. One is fiddle Dee Dee new template, and a few by our Liz. The other 20 are pages from MoC lasts year and thru the years. I love the different but how it flows so much. I think I finally found my "style". Eclectic.

rchansen and bcgal00 like this.
  12. tkradtke

I can't do daily.... heck, I can't even do any kind of current DYD project. I have failed so many times it's not even funny.

I do like Rae's idea of a mix of past and current. I would honestly love a list of prompts for the month of December. I was a part of a Facebook group years ago that had prompts for each day and you could either do them as current events or past memories for each. I may see if I can dig up that list again.

13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Journal prompts? Photo prompts? What kind of prompts?

14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@tkradtke I've done a daily list of prompts like that before. I would be happy to host a new one. Let me check and see if it's ok to do so. I'll be back

15. tkradtke

I have searched and searched for the list I remember, but I can't find it. I found several photo prompts, and they're not quite what I'm looking for/remember. So I'm guessing what I'm looking for is more of a journal prompt. The pages people posted were so neat... some were heritage/memory pages and some were current day. I would love to attempt a DYD project that was a mix. As my kids get older we don't do as much holiday stuff as we used to and what we do still do is the same year after year. I would love to mix in other things to make each year's book unique... plus record some memories from my pre-scrapping days.

That would be great!!! I have wanted to have a successful DYD project for years. I've tried about every thing I can think of, but I haven't tried using prompts yet. I think part of my problem is with doing PL at the same time... it seems like a lot of repetition and I lose motivation. I think prompts might be a way to keep each project separate.

16. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

yes, I think I will do that this year, last year I tried daily and failed miserably LOL
    this year, am not even sure what kind of Christmas we will have...so ..lets pray and see!!! but the non daily approach I think it sounds a lot more appealing and actually doable!

RebeccaH likes this.
  17. RebeccaH

This is a pretty cool idea! I am looking forward to seeing your pages and seeing how this comes out!

18. RebeccaH

for those of you who feel like you "failed" at pas DYD attempts... I just want to encourage you... i've onlly ever finished ONE year of DYD, and it took me 3 years to do it. Finally last year I finished and printed my 2013 DYD. Right now I'm trying to work through my 2015, and possibly revisit 2014, but whatever. It will get done whenever it gets done. I don't view it as "failed." I view it as "not done yet." <3

bcgal00 likes this.
  19. tkradtke

I think mine truly are "failed" projects... LOL! I've never really had enough vision to the project to know what "finished" looks like. If I went back to finish, it would actually be completely redoing the whole thing... as my original plan didn't work out. One year I tried daily and when I got behind, I stopped taking photos. One year never even got successfully started. And last year, I tried a non-daily approach and just did events. I'm not sure when to call that one finished. I also started it as a hybrid album, and while that was fun for a while, it takes me soooo much longer since it's not my usual thing.

I think this is why I'm liking the prompt idea. I need a little more structure to this to keep on track. In 2010, I did manage to take a photo a day all of December... they're on my blog with captions. That could be fun to make a project out of when I get a chance. But I would really like to have a successful current year project to work on over the holidays this year.

20. RebeccaH

I've tried hybrid a few times, too, thinking it looks SO incredible when it's all finished! Those were truly failed projects for me! HA! I'm horrible at it! The amount of time it takes to print and put all that jazz together - not my set of skills, let's just put it that way! :rofl

tkradtke likes this.