Anyone else bored with birthday/holiday layouts?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by SharLamb, Apr 25, 2019.

1. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Just did Easter pages with 9 of my grandchildren featured...another birthday page for one of my 12 grands...and must say, I don't really have fun doing those pages any more. They're all the same. As is Christmas. I have to look at it as the record of their growth. Just call me Bleary-eyes. (Am I being a grump? or a Scrooge?) At least I'm learning I don't have to include EVERY photo. And this year my DD sent me collages of HER favorites, so I got the whole birthday on one page! The photos are pretty small, but at least they convey the celebration. NOW! Back to some artsy stuff! (That sounds SO selfish!)

Karen, bellbird and cinderella like this.
  2. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

You are not alone. I have not been a fan of doing the big celebration days for a long time. My problem is that I usually have so many pictures from the event and I’m not really a “many photo” scrapper. My brain gets overwhelmed.

bellbird likes this.
  3. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I've never been a scrapper driven to scrap certain things like birthdays or holidays. If I happen to find some products that will work well with those photos, I'll scrap them, but otherwise there is no specific drive to do so. I mostly scrap for me and my family gets to benefit from it when I give them books of my pages.

bellbird likes this.
  4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Yes, I sometimes feel that way. It is worse for me when I am out of sync with the current season. I am scrapping March pictures now so it is much easier using current new kits than digging out kits I bought 6 months prior.

And yes, I find Birthday pages awkward. Maybe I will go off theme this year and just use whatever kit I want. It is especially hard when I have grown men birthdays to scrap.

HeatherB, rach3975 and bellbird like this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm not a big event scrapper. I will usually do just one page for an event, sometimes more but not often. I much prefer just everyday things and photos. I feel like we remember the big events much better than just the day to day moments and feelings, so I much prefer to scrap those.

bellbird likes this.
  6. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

You have struck s nerve with me and I’m doing a blog post on this subject in May!! I will tag you @SharLamb when it gets posted

bellbird likes this.
  7. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I’m actually making a huge family birthday book (111 Shutterfly limit) with birthday pages from 5 generations. I found that if I include lots of people in the books vs the grandkids just having their own books, (e.g., Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc.) they have a better opportunity to explore their ancestors. Okay, the truth...this is my secret method to have them stumble upon their heritage as they look for themselves on the books! These projects are a bit of work since they involve a LOT of scanning since my only digital photos are of the grandkids. I am terrible about printing books so I kind of like that I have a focus, or a narrower range.

HavaDrPepper, Karen and bellbird like this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I love scrapping Easter pages, especially with Asher being younger. When he gets out of this phase, I probably won't scrap that many. As for birthdays, most of my bd pages are old, I say as I'm currently working on 1st birthday pages for my sister. Her great-granddaughter Lola just turned one. They had a big bang-up Disney themed party, and I have lots of Disney stuff and I'm having a ball scrapping the sweet pictures.

9. SharLamb

Most of my scrapping is pages I give to my children as gifts. I make hundreds of pages a year. Naturally, they are interested in having pages of the activities of their families. I feel compelled to go on as I began, but I am SO going to cut back. Thanks so much for confirming my feelings. Makes me feel better.

10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I am not a fan of birthday and holidays. More holidays than birthdays. I have a "form" for birthdays overall. Interview on one side with a photo, and photo of room on the other side. Then, I add in one more page of the celebration and call it good. I love seeing the interview answers change and stay the same. I also love seeing the changes in his room.
    Other holidays? Blah. Thank goodness for CT work or I would never get them done!

HeatherB likes this.
  11. SharLamb

It’s the Challenges that help me get mine done...unless I finished the challenges for the month and then the birthday comes! LOL

Karen likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

this might be the most sneaky genius!!! way of dealing with heritage scrapping i've ever come across and i love it! Huuuuge undertaking for you Carol (and i think the page limit works in your favour here) but amazing and clever nevertheless!

I'm so glad you asked about this @SharLamb because I'd hate you to think you were alone, i think in fact, it's the opposite. Those events that repeat (birthdays and holidays) get so hard, especially if you feel like you've scrapped at least 10 pages, all titled 'Christmas Morning!' with the same basic red and green colour scheme! At least Xmas is only once a year, but birthdays? oh it feels like there's heaps of those! I really like @bestcee's interview b'day format idea - some of my fave b'day pages I've made with non-themed kits, it feels fresh and that helps, but cutting back is a great idea Sharron!

Iowan likes this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Lol. You're not alone. I don't really hate doing birthdays, but I feel like they are a bit awkward... like I want to scrap it, but don't know what to journal about unless i do the page pretty soon after the actual birthday. I also have too many photos usually, so it's hard to narrow them down.

I will say though Sharron, that I bet your family loves that you make them birthday pages... especially when they can put them all together and see the progression as each person ages! I do love to go back and look my own kids birthday pages from years past and see how much they've changed! :agree

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  14. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

YAAAAAAS. They are my least favorite layouts to make.

15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I have found it helpful to pull all the photos and put them in a multi-photo template + add in the journaling soon after the event. Then when the "perfect" kit comes along, half of the work is already done & it's not so terrible to finish the page.

16. SharLamb

Yes...I’m learning to use 6 - 12 photo templates (just bought some), and not journaling...just a few word art bits. I’m never AT the parties, and my DD and DS/DDIL provide me just with photos, no comments/stories. I like the idea of Q & A, but for 5 of the grands, I’m not in the same state, and you can be sure their mom won’t want the “burden” of having anything to do with it. I’m grateful to get pix from her.

I KNOW the kids love the finished product. DD even takes photos from time to time of them looking thru the albums I’ve made. I scrap 8.5 x 11, print the pages at home [I have a Canon printer with ink WELLS, not cartridges, and buy photo-quality paper in bulk, and print them as I go. I love using Persnickety Prints, but found having the pages print just twice a year (sale time) was a dreaded task.]

I am liking the idea of using non-BD-themed kits, esp. for the older kids.

Thanks for the moral support, ladies! I was almost afraid to post the question because I thought I might be considered a heretic! Instead, I find out our number is legion (well dozens at least!).

BevG likes this.
  17. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I've taken to focusing on something different or special relating to those days now, to make them less samey. For example focusing on the birthday cake recipe along side a few cake photos. One Christmas I focused entirely on what we ate, another year I explained our traditions including relevant photos. Doing DYD in 2017 was one of the best things I did to help me look at different ways to scrapbook our celebrations, and our everyday.

18. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I hate holiday layouts. Go ahead .... check out my gallery. You will not see many at all. And if they are there it's because I was doing a CT page. I like to scrap non-holiday stuff ... like the everyday stuff or unique events ... or just pretty nature photos. :) I feel your bleary eyes!!!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  19. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I'll be the odd scrapper out here and say that I actually love scrapping all kinds of photos, including holidays and birthdays. I'm a non-chronological scrapper, though, so I jump around and don't stay on one project too long. In fact, I decided to focus on The 100 Day Project (creating every day for 100 days) on our Disney albums and our Christmas albums. I did have to deviate from that plan because I was becoming a bit bored with it. I can imagine if I was trying to finish an album of just birthdays or holidays and that was all that was in front of me, that I would not like birthdays and holidays nearly as much. LOL

I love our community here because we CAN ask these kinds of questions. We find, like you have @SharLamb , that there are many others with the same thoughts and feelings. And even if there are disparate views, they are shared with kindness and encouragement.

The most important thing I'm taking away from this discussion is that we all love to create - sometimes that means memory keeping and other times it's just creating art and other times it's helping family discover heritage (you sneaky scrapper @Iowan ).

Cherylndesigns, Tree City and Iowan like this.
  20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Well I ended up using a birthday kit, but I went for a style that is outside from my usual. At least with a clean and simple, it can be done quick!
    [​IMG]