Anyone been to Universal Studios Hollywood?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Dec 3, 2019.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

We're going to spend a day at Universal at the end of the month. I know that it will be a zoo, but I haven't been since I was in college *cough* way back in the early 1980s when there weren't any rides outside of the movie ride.

Knowing that it will be insanely busy and that I won't have time to plan anything I'll need help. I'm an overplanner when it comes to visiting amusement parks, but between getting ready for a house remodel and traveling for part of the month I just don't have the time. So, I need any help and/or suggestions you may have for me.

It'll just be three of us, and I won't be able to go on anything too rough due to some back issues (sniff). But I'm not against me doing something else while the boys do coasters or the like.

Thanks in advance!

2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Clara and I went in 2018 during the summer and it was a zoo. We didn't ride a thing. It was jammed packed and it was a day trip during our annual Disneyland trip so we were a bit amusement parked out (meaning we had little motivation to stand in line). HOWEVER... we loved the shows. Lots of seating, so you aren't really fighting crowds too much and they were all really good. I can't remember all of the ones we went to for sure, but I know we did the Water World one, the trained animal one and the special effect one. So, I have no advice for you about riding rides... but just wanted to throw in there that the shows are definitely worth seeing!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

We just got back from a Universal / Disney trip. It was pouring rain so we headed straight to Harry Potter World and did that first, then headed down to the Mummy and Transformer rides. We did all of those twice without much wait since the crowds were rained out. Then we hit the simpsons ride, studio tour trams and finished up with the minion ride after lunch.

We didn't do any shows this time because of the rain but there's tons to do while you wait. You could do Ollivander's and buy an interactive wand and go around HP world doing all the spells while you wait. I've never been disappointed with the shows, so I say do as many as you can. There's a Grinchmas show, Kung Fu Panda, Raptor Encounter, Trolls and some Harry Potter themed night-time effects that I wanted to see, so I guess we'll just have to go again.... hehe!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I haven't been there since the mid-1990's -- my husband and I could walk to it from the apartment where he lived when we met -- and I hardly remember any of it.

Have fun!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

When the kids and I were there we watched the Waterworld show and the special effects show. The Waterworld is kind of cheesy but cool to watch when you need to rest your feet. The special effects show is just meh...but it's inside so it got us out of the heat for a bit.

If you want to do one of the back lot tours, go early. They can get up to a really long wait time. Most people head straight to the Harry Potter portion of the park first. The main ride in that area is our favorite. We also love the Mummy ride. These are probably our favorites because they actually move. LOL!

I'm not sure you really need to worry about planning your day. You can visit the whole park in one day. Hopefully it won't be too packed!

I bought us season passes and really want to take the kids to Whoville but I don't think we'll be able to squeeze it in. :(

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

we're going in May for a day before we spend some time at Disneyland. It will be my first time to Universal Hollywood since High School! I'm looking forward to it. Been to the Orlando version quite a few times, so looking forward to experiencing what's different! Let me know what to expect @QuiltyMom :)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

8. meagan43

meagan43 Um, did you know that you're wrong?

This summer, we hit Universal while we were down there for Star Wars Land opening. We bought the upgraded pass. It gave us 1 hour early entry (when bought on-line) and 1 front of the line pass for each ride (there are only like 8 rides). Honestly - we are Disney people, so I thought Universal was "okay". Love Harry Potter and the land there was very cool.
    Our day - by the time we parked and got in the gates, our 1 hour early became 1/2 hour early. We headed straight to Harry Potter since we heard it get busy. We did the Incredible Journey first with no wait really (saved our passes for later). I found it a little dizzying, but interesting. They have free lockers to put your stuff in. Then, we strolled through Hogsmeade, ate at the restaurant and rode the Gryphon ride (literally lasts 20 seconds and none of my guys liked the way that the harness fit). It was an okay ride and I did like seeing Hagrid's cottage, but not worth the wait.
    I can't remember the rest of the day exactly, but we checked out the rides. The line pass for the Studio Tour really helped get us right on the ride. I love seeing all the movie stuff and there were new things from what I remember. The park got lots busier as the day wore on and those passes came in handy. The Simpson ride still took forever even with the pass and was just okay. The Minions and Transformers rides were both good. Our favorite was the Mummy ride, it was exciting and interesting. I do have to say that almost ALL of the rides at Universal were ride simulators and you got sprayed on everything! Hubby had to remind himself to keep his mouth closed since he got sprayed in the mouth on multiple rides. The Mummy & Gryphon were one of the only ones that wasn't a projector. There were characters walking around to take pictures with, although we didn't do that much. Later in the day, we went back to Hogsmeade and rode the rides with our passes, tried the Butterbeer (definitely go in the Hogshead to get it and check out the hog behind the bar) We tried both hot and cold, which I recommend - they are really different. We went in all the shops and hung out. We wanted to catch some of the shows, but they end earlier than the rides, so hit those early if you like them. When we went, Jurassic World was not open yet. The upgraded pass was worth it to us and saved us many long lines.
    All in all, we felt the rides were a bit too jerky and too much was damp ride sim, so we will wait another 10-15 years before going back. It was worth it to go just see Hogwarts - the castle is amazing. We went thru it 3 times and there was so much to see in there.

9. patsyt

patsyt Loop-de-loops? Not a fan!

I had to smile when I read the title of this thread. Why, yes, I have been to Universal Studios in Hollywood. Unfortunately, my experiences wouldn't help you much as our visits were in 1970-1972. I'd have to guess that a LOT has changed since then. :giggle Have a great time!

10. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

No, but it´s on my wish list! A bit far from Sweden though......