Any Nero Wolfe fans?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Tiff, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

Anybody a fan of Nero Wolfe (or should I say a fan of Archie Goodwin?)?

I was thinking I might nominate a Nero Wolfe story in the next round of the book club. They are such fun and light reading. I have an almost complete set of Nero Wolf paperbacks that I collected several years back. I was just looking in my library's catalog to see if they have any I've never read.

My library has several of the Robert Goldsborough books, which I guess would be like fan fiction(?) Apparently these are original stories, written to carry on the legacy of Archie and Nero, and trying to mimic the style.

I discovered Nero Wolfe when the A&E network produced a TV show based on the stories. They were very faithful to the texts, and being 1950's - 60's period, they had a special appeal, at least to me. I have copies of the DVDs, but unfortunately I didn't see them listed on Netflix streaming. If you have a chance to watch any of the A&E series, I highly recommend it.

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I love Nero Wolfe and Archay! lol, I have to admit to being lazy and I listen to the radio show ones! They are my favorite long distance listening!
    makes me want to plant orchids!

3. Tiff

I'm unfamiliar with the radio show, but it sounds fun. How do you listen to them?

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

5. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I have seen some of the series with Timothy Hutton. IDK if that's the A&E series you mean, but I'd be up to read one (or two) for the book club. :)

7. Tiff

@Tree City yes that is the one. Did you like them? I was an instant fan and was so disappointed when they cancelled the series.

8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@Tiff YES, I was also an instant fan. :) I didn't see all of them, and I'm sad they're not on Netflix on demand. :(

9. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I have never heard of Nero Wolfe but this type of dectective story sounds perfect. It's going on my TBR list.

10. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I used to watch the series,and enjoyed it. Read a few of the books ,and they are the sort of thing I want to read if I am in bed with the flu,-easy reading. Thanks for the link @AnneofAlamo . I am game 're the book club.

11. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Ohmygosh. I read those when I was a kid. My mom used to have a ton of them and I used to love them. :) I haven't read one since then, but would jump in. :)

12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I've only vaguely heard the name Nero Wolfe but they do sound like fun. @Tiff or anyone else...do you recall the name of the series? and @AnneofAlamo that's a great link for listening while scrapping etc

13. Tiff

@cookingmylife , I don't really know if you would call them a series in the usual sense. I think they would just be referred to as Nero Wolfe (the author is Rex Stout). I think there are about 70+ different stories, most would qualify as short stories, some are short novels, maybe a just a few are true novel length. I think many were originally published in magazines(??) In book form, many are sets of 3 short stories together. I believe they were written starting in the very late 40s all through to the mid 70's. I believe Rex Stout died in 1975 and he was writing right up to his death.

I don't think there is any real reason to feel like you have to read them in order. Each is really stand alone, which is what makes them great for just grabbing for light reading. It is also really fun to get the "historical" details as they represent the time they were written - like the strange phone numbers, the amounts of money Archie pays for food. In the one I'm reading now I noticed that Archie mentioned multiple mail deliveries each day - was that really a thing? Maybe just in big cities?

scrapsandsass likes this.
  14. Tiff

@AnneofAlamo I'm enjoying these old radio shows! Wolfe "sounds" a little off to me, but I love Archie. He has some great lines the the actor delivers them perfectly.

15. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...