And NOW we KNOW

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AJK, Apr 11, 2019.

1. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

That thread posted about a month ago regarding Alexa and similar devices- where we discussed if others might be listening in?
    [​IMG]

ABC reported this evening that Amazon admits that they DO record conversations to use for "data annotation" - and this includes "private moments"!!! ( why it would be on at that time is beyond me, but as humans, we DO forget those kinds of things!

[​IMG]

Exactly why we don't have one, and all microphones are turned off on every device!
    [​IMG]

Christina W, cfile and Ferdy like this.
  2. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Yep, totally do not trust those things... Imagine having the job of listening to all that stuff, just a bit weird!

Tree City likes this.
  3. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

What a total invasion of privacy!!! Unbelievable!

AJK likes this.
  4. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

and my dear fiancè thought I was a bit paranoic with this...I knew it was true!! :disagree

cfile and AJK like this.
  5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

A report I saw said that any "private moments" were only recorded if the words to wake up the unit were said. I pretty much have news on all day long and I heard several reports on it. Each report was different in what was said. Some were to make you scared of the product, other reports weren't.

I still don't want one.

However, what makes me even more freaked out is the fact that Facebook has been given a patent for technology being able to scan your photos in your account then push ads for similar products to you. Oh, and it will send ads to your friends using what you like! It is also for use on Instagram photos as well.

6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have been saying this for years but we are, sadly, well past the point of personal privacy. The horse is already out of the barn and a major reason is we ourselves opened the door.

rach3975, wvsandy and cfile like this.
  7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Well said. We aren't as "smart" as we might think. LOL!

8. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

When I read 1984 and all those "big brother is watching" type books in high school back in the 70's, I could not imagine how they would ever have enough data to "know" us or spy on us. Then came Facebook, other social media sites, even this forum, where we willing gave up all kinds of information about ourselves, our beliefs, and our opinions. Then came the helpful listening devices. I am not saying the companies are evil or intent on doing evil with the data -- just saying the data has already been collected. As @cookingmylife, it is too late for most of us. So all we can do is make sure we represent our true selves.

9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

We had an Echo. I didn't worry too much about what it might hear since Amazon already knew a lot about us based on our shopping through them. They had a pretty good idea of the age of our kid based on diapers and the types of toys we purchase. But we got rid of it because I got frustrated with how often it turned on. She thought she heard the wake word so often I was annoyed. Conversations about work, play dates, or the grocery list and she would jump on "thinking" she heard her name. So, I wouldn't really trust the wake word thing.

AJK and cfile like this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Couldn't agree more but you know some people will believe what they are told. Still better to not even have any of these types of units :)

AJK likes this.
  11. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

Never had one. I have never used Siri either. Not because I don’t trust her. But I find it just as easy to google something myself

cfile likes this.