All about keys | Pad Patter 6.14

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bellbird, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I need something big for my keys otherwise they get lost in my purse (in which I carry everything but the kitchen sink). On my house key is a lanyard which has the advantage that I always see it peeking out from somewhere in the bag. On my car key is a gigantic toy polar bear. Well, gigantic for a key chain anyway, it's about 12 cm high. No way I can overlook that one.

bellbird likes this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Lol!

3. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

This sounds like me! now I feel like I need a big polar bear keyring too! :-)

4. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

I used to have a loop I could clip my keys to in a previous handbag with a clip thing ( that was before all the Disney keyrings I added, I don't think I ever grew up!) but my current one doesn't have it- case of 'you don't know what you've got til its gone' :-(

5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

So this may sound an odd question but don't you have keys for your window locks & screen/security doors as well as the normal doors & everything there, or you just don't carry them around with you? ( or are keypads increasingly replacing keys? @Tree City (our house was built early 90's if that makes a difference & its routine, as far as with the peopl I know, to have a locksmith change the locks/ keys after you move into a place you've bought from someone else)

jenn mccabe likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@bellbird um, what? LOL! No, we don't have keys for our windows. They lock but from the inside--no key. As for a screen door: we don't have one (although I'd love one and have asked DH to measure so we can buy one). Our sliding glass door to the back doesn't have a key lock, either, which is fine cuz we have added security to that door so a key wouldn't really be useful.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  7. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i guess i'm taking photos later! "They lock but from the inside--no key." - um then how do they lock?! ours lock from the inside with a key; all our doors to the outside (including 4 sliding glass ones ) have keys - there's 2 locks on the front door, plus the security mesh door infront of that with it's own key ; all the sliding glass ones have 2 keys as well (part of the clauses in house insurance involve locks and security measures)

ETA: starting to think i live in Fort Knox!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    jenn mccabe and Tree City like this.
  8. Tree City

Crack me up! I have friends who tease me cuz we have a doorbell that has a security camera and some other security features that make my friends wonder if I'm crazy (like, I want security cameras that don't record only via wifi cuz what if your power goes out?...which also lead to a discussion about battery backup options, but I digress), so it doesn't make me think "Fort Knox" when I hear you say "locks on windows." It makes me think "smart"! :)
    And this isn't exactly our lock, but this is very similar to what we had back in our old house:
    [​IMG]
    No key required.

jenn mccabe and bellbird like this.
  9. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

My car key has a single ring on it with the mailbox key and that's it...I'm boring like that.

bellbird likes this.
  10. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I have a Purdue (my alma mater) keychain + a couple store cards + my car fob, my house key, & my parents' house key. I carry my work keys separately and have them tucked in a different compartment in my purse so I never lose them & always know exactly where they are without having to dig around.

bellbird likes this.
  11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

@Tree City i guess this is how everyone differs, i'd call that a latch i guess, ours are like this at the base of our sliding doors (as well as the one in the handle itself)
    429c40d8-71b8-416c-98c7-aa1858da2166.jpg
    & these are basically like the window ones at some of the relo's (relatives); ours are built in to the 'latch'
    d0260463-71f2-46b5-8f61-a1ea44bafa3d.jpg
    and i don't know if this is a joke but i kinda want one of these! (well DD would love it anyway)
    house-locks-entry-door-locks-fabulous-door-chain-locks-with-best-door-chains-ideas.jpg

12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

aren't compartments the best!

13. Tree City

I think you've got a point re lock vs latch. :) I just Googled what most people have here and they're called "sash locks," so I guess not every "lock" needs a key? Who knew? ;) I just know I'd lose my darn mind if I needed to keep track of window keys lol!

And as for that maze security thingy: that's so fun! Not exactly practical, but definitely fun lol!

bellbird and jenn mccabe like this.
  14. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

You two @Tree City and @bellbird are cracking me up with your back and forth ... Sara I'm glad you did all the answering bc I was lost there for awhile. :giggle

The only way we get into our house 99.9% of the time is through the garage door openers that are in our cars. My car is keyless - just need to have the key fob on me (in pocket or purse or attached to my wristlet) and I can touch the button on the car door and get in bc I have the "key" with me. We lock our house doors from the inside and go out the garage ... so unless there is a power outage, we don't need keys to get in .... and Sara explained how the windows lock with that sash/latch thing. No keys for those ever. :)

bellbird likes this.
  15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I keep all those key cards on a key ring in my purse - they tear off my regular key ring too easily. I really love the stores that use a phone number to look up your loyalty card rather having to have a card.

On my plain ring, I have the car fob, the car key, the front door key, the garage door key, mom's house key, and the church key. I have had led enough events at church that they gave me a key. My front door key is orange so it is easy to find. I get to park in the garage so I use the garage opener and most of the time the door in garage to the house is unlocked. So my keys fit in my pocket.

bellbird likes this.
  16. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I have a two sided key ring with car keys on each side; this is so that when I take my car in, I can easily separate the appropriate car key from the rest of them. (My key ring is this one without the middle third ring.) My house key is on another separate ring because both cars I drive have "remote start" and don't need to have my key in hand to start, but sometime recently I couldn't go through the garage and needed my key to get into the house. All of them sit in the bottom of my purse, underneath my wallet. (And that is the entire contents of that section of my purse.)

17. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

that's such a pretty (& practical!) key holder!

18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

all of mine are credit card sized so they're in my purse too - love the phone number look up too!

BevG likes this.
  19. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

I have MIC-KEYs :)

[​IMG]

bellbird likes this.
  20. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

My key ring is an Aigner key ring with car key & house key. I don't like having all the weight of things on my key as well as my purse.

bellbird likes this.