Affinity Tutorial - How to Use a Torn Edge Template

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Angela Toucan, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I scrapbook with the Affinity Suite, and have put a little tutorial together on how use a torn paper template in Affinity Photo, Designer and or Publisher. The steps are the same in all 3 programs.

For this tutorial I have used the Light Me Home kit by Lynn Grieveson, and the Torn Paper Template she made for Day 6 of MOC 2021.
    [​IMG]
    1. put the paper you want to tear into your document.
    2. Open the psd. file separately to your document. It will open in all 3 versions of Affinity. (Note most psd files will open in Affinity, but not all styles will work, so template elements with styles added to them might not look as intended by the designer. But for shape templates like this one it works fine.
    3. Copy the contents of the template.
    4. Go to your document.
    5. Paste the template contents into your document.
    6a. - Affinity Version 1. grab the paper icon for the paper you want to tear in the layers box. Drag it below and to the right of the paper clipping mask - this will crop the paper to the torn paper shape.
    6b. - Affinity Version 2. grab the paper icon for the paper you want to tear in the layers box. Drag it to the right of the paper clipping mask icon - this will crop the paper to the torn paper shape.
    TornPaper1.jpg
    TornPaper2.jpg
    7. Select all the elements of the torn paper (the torn edge, crumple overlay, cropped paper and shadow). Either right click and choose group, or use the short cut key Ctrl G. This will group them together.
    8. You can move resize and crop this group in the same way you would any element on your page.
    TornPaper3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    julianz, keepscrappin and umyesh like this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

great job Amgela! thanks for sharing!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  3. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@Angela Toucan thanks so much for helping the affinity users. This is especially helpful for MOC. you’re the best! :yourock

4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

@Angela Toucan
    I almost forgot, let’s have @AnneofAlamo add this to her tutorial listing in the learning pad. Feel free to tag her when you post these. They’re awesome and we want others to be able to find and use them too. :agree

5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Thank you! got it in the listing!

keepscrappin and Angela Toucan like this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

That's awesome, Angela!! You rock!

7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

my finished layout
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.