Affinity Scrappers

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Angela Toucan, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Good morning

I used to scrap with Serif's Craft Artist, but was struggling with it crashing a lot and going slow. So this spring I made the jump and transferred to Affinity. I'm loving it and have started learning the more advanced techniques with it and exploring different functionality. I've got the full suite, as my son is taking graphics for GCSE and is using different aspects of Affinity.

Joy Toucanette is still sticking with Craft Artist until it stops working, but TJ is interested in learning Affinity when she gets a break in her studies. She has a heavy timetable.

I've started noticing a few other people joining here who use Affinity, and others transferint to it. So I thought it would be cool to have an Affinity roll call. Do you use Affinity? Which part(s)?

2. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I use Photo and Designer.
    I feel very uncomfortable with Photo still as I am not used to it yet. You might remember the one (and so far only) page I made for Cynthia's Monthly Muse, it took me ages...:)

I bought it basically as a backup in case I cannot afford PS any longer, but really would like to get into it more.

Btw, Stacia has a series of Affinity Photo tutorials on the PRD blog:
    https://pinkreptiledesigns.blogspot.com/search/label/affinity

Angela Toucan likes this.
  3. Angela Toucan

Thanks for the tutorial links.
    I only use photo for those things I can't do in publisher or designer. Designer is definitely quicker and easier to use than photo and you can do most stuff with it.
    If you use Designer as your main program, and find you need to edit a photo in Photo, then go to the main file menu in Designer and choose the edit in Photo option, it will switch your project into Photo for you to use that, then you can switch back again by selecting edit in Designer from the Photo file menu.

4. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

Hi Affinity users, I just found this thread. What a great idea to have somewhere to gather.

@Angela Toucan great job on the tutorials you put up today
    @Rikki thanks for the links to the tutorials I'll take a look.

I've been using Affinity for at least a couple of years now. I have all the Affinity - Photo & Designer for iPad plus the full desktop suite: photo, designer, publisher. I can function in it but there is still so much more to learn.

I still tend to use the desktop version more just because the interface is more familiar and I haven't spent enough time on the iPad for it to be second nature yet. I like that if I'm in publisher I can switch between designer, photo, & publisher personas as I feel like it.

I started with Photo for iPad and did an online class but once Designer came out I found that was better as a starting point for scrapping so I mainly use photo if I want to actually edit photos.

Karen and Angela Toucan like this.
  5. Angela Toucan

hello @julianz
    I use publisher too, and move in and out of the others when needed. My son is a graphics student so he mostly uses designer with photo when needed.
    glad you found the tutorials helpful.

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Ohhh, this is good info if I take the leap to get an ipad over a new computer! Thanks Angela!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Karen and jk703 like this.
  8. Angela Toucan

9. julianz

julianz Well-Known Member

@Angela Toucan tell us more about your Affinity classes that you mentioned. I assume they're online as most people can't go anywhere at the moment. Is it a course or are you curating your own course from the oh so many videos online. Tell me more, I'm intrigued.

10. Angela Toucan

I'll message you as it's offsite linking.

julianz likes this.
  11. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I've had Affinity Photo for my iPad for about 2 years. I played with it at first, then stopped, and now I'm taking a course on how to scrapbook with it. I also bought Affinity Photo for my desktop last year, but I've never installed it. It was on sale and I couldn't resist the price. I usually use Artisan 5 for scrapping, but I like the idea of being able to curl up with my iPad and scrap.

julianz and Angela Toucan like this.
  12. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I bought Affinity Photo for my iPad and now I do all my iPad scrapping in the Project Life app. I'm not sure how that happened, since I bought Affinity because I didn't want to use Project Life. The learning curve for Affinity is more than I'm willing to invest right now, but from what I've seen other people do, I think it's an excellent alternative.

I own both Photo and Designer for iPad and Photo for Windows.

julianz likes this.