Affinity Designer - Gradient Blending of 2 papers with the Transparency Tool

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Angela Toucan, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Hi. This month's LEAP with Farrah is looking at using Gradients. This is a quick tutorial to show how I use the Transparency Tool in Affinity Designer (and Publisher) to blend papers together. The tool has gradient options.

I use the linear gradient on the transparency tool the most often. Here I'm using 2 of the pretty papers from @Soco minikit for the iNSD blog hop Collab Be Braver.

Select the top paper and then click on the transparency tool icon - it looks like a wine glass
    TransTool1.jpg
    Click on the paper where you want it to be the most opaque and then drag out to where you want it the most transparent.
    TransTool2.jpg
    Move the handles around to change the gradient angel.
    TransTool2a.jpg
    You can edit your gradient further by clicking on the gradient line to add additional handles.
    TransTool3.jpg
    I'm going to edit my gradient so the top paper is opaque at the two corners and transparent in the centre.
    To do this click on the handle you want to edit and adjust the opacity slider.
    TransTool4.jpg

TransTool4a.jpg
    There are different options for the gradient tool and they can be accessed via the context toolbar that appears after you click the tool icon.
    Here I've applied the radial gradient to the top paper. (2 different papers from Soco's minikit)
    TransTool5.jpg
    You can manipulate and edit this gradient in the same way as I did above with the linear. Alternatively the gradients can be edited via the tools in this context tool bar.
    TransTool6.jpg
    Play, have fun and experiment with the tool and enjoy this easy way to extend your stash and make more of your paper packs.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    CharlotteM and Soco like this.
  2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe