Affinity Basics 1b- Setting Up a Page in Affinity 2

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Angela Toucan, May 25, 2023.

1. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

This is the first of a set of tutorials intended for beginners getting started using Affinity for digital scrapbooking.
    The New Document Dialog is different in Affinity 1 and Affinity 2. If you are using Affinity 1, please go to this tutorial: https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/affinity-basics-1a-setting-up-a-page-in-affinity-1.88560/

The process is the same for Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher, and Affinity Photo. In this example I'm using Designer. (There are some additions for working with double page layouts in publisher, I will show those at the end.)

In the New Document Window choose the Print section, and select anything in the list as your starting point. Items in the Print tab should already have the Colour format set to RGB/8. If not, then I'll show you how to change the colour format option to RGB/8 shortly.
    AffinityBasic1a.jpg
    Select the layout tab, and setup your page dimensions. It's traditional in scrapbooking to have the units in inches. Ensure that the DPI value is 300, and enter your required page dimensions.
    AffinityBasic1b.jpg
    What is the Image Placement option for?
    There are two options: Prefer embedded (default) and Prefer Linked.
    • Embedded means that a copy of every photo, element and paper you use is embedded into your document. This leads to very large file sizes. If you are a minimalist clean and simple scrapper then this could work for you, but otherwise the files could get to big to be practical
    • Linked means that the document will link to the original photos, elements and papers. You will see them in your document and be able to use them fine, but it will keep the file sizes smaller. You can resize and recolour etc without it affecting the original files. If you make a "destructive edit" Affinity will automatically change the mode of that object to embedded, protecting your original. Obviously moving the original files will affect this if you reopen the project again - there is a linked file manager to help with that if needed.
    I use the Prefer Linked Option.

In the colour tab you can change the colour format. For digital scrapbooking page that can be easily printed set this to RGB/8.
    AffinityBasic1c.jpg
    If you want to you can adjust bleed and margin settings too.

This next step is optional, but highly recommended. Click on the add new preset button at the bottom left of the dialog. This will enable you to create new pages without having to go through the above process every time.
    AffinityBasic1d.jpg
    Give your new preset a name
    AffinityBasic1e.jpg
    Click on your scrapbooking page set-up in the list and then create in the bottom right corner to start scrapbooking.
    AffinityBasic1f.jpg
    For Affinity Publisher 2 only
    One of the benefits of digital scrapbooking in Publisher is that it is easy to create multi page documents, and double page spreads. Select the pages tab.
    AffinityBasic1g.jpg
    Below are the settings needed to create a double page spread.
    AffinityBasic1h.jpg

2. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.